Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10 Day Figures

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bbability wrote: »
    Its not that people are broke and don't have the cash. Its just that Joe Soap is spending his money more wisely and are fed up of being ripped off.

+1. And it's about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Well i just dont know what the answer is, I want to buy a new car , I have the cash available to buy an 09 but I just cant afford to take the hit. Cars that are retailing around 25000 are going to be worth about 16000 after one year. It seems like madness to me to take that sort of loss.
    Maybe it,s something that we have,nt become accoustomed to yet but we might have to.
    The new Co2 rates have made importing deisels from uk very attractive.
    Our new prices seem very high because of vrt, you can import an 08 diesel with very little miles for an awful lot less even after adding on vrt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Its not that people are broke and don't have the cash. Its just that Joe Soap is spending his money more wisely and are fed up of being ripped off.

The problem is not that people are not spending the cash wisely, they are just not spending it full stop. The banks are not loaning, we are not spending, everybody has gone into lockdown, no cash in the system means everybody looses, if its not your job today, it may well be tomorrow. Until confidence picks up we're all toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jonnygee wrote: »
    Well i just dont know what the answer is, I want to buy a new car , I have the cash available to buy an 09 but I just cant afford to take the hit.

If you can't afford the hit, you can't afford the car, tbh............

Buy an ex-demo, or similar, and you will be in the middle ground - new reg, full warranty. If it's bad now, they'll be baying for blood in March. Hold your nerve.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

.... The Industry here needs a big wake up call. Its lost its competitive edge and our neighbours across the pond and up north are cleaning up.

...it never had a competitive edge, and a lot of that is down to VRT. It doesn't matter what you're prepared to sell a car for, margin-wise, if f/x rates and VRT are going to kick you at every opportunity.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Do you think anyone would have imported and stocked the highest band had they known what was coming?
    DAMHIK.............:o
    Apparently there are close to 100,000 unsold new houses that won't meet the new energy saving regulations by June. It will be interesting to see how firm the Government are on that.

Sweet **** all, to be frank. Considering that, near me, the Co Council have built 220 houses that don't/won't, either. Not a solar panel or renewable attempt of any kind. Built of conc with std 65mm insulation. Considering that social housing ends up being paid for, and subsidised through welfare for most of it's life, that's your and my money they're wasting.....:mad:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have only seen two 09 plates so far this year :eek: One 09-KK Renault Megane and one 09-D Honda Accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

People still holding off on buying a used car should take these figures into account too.

Assuming the current trend continues there won't be near half the number of new cars registered this year compared to last year. Let's say the economy begins to recover in 2013. Joe Soap goes out looking for a 4 year old (2009) 3 series, Avensis, etc. There won't be anywhere near as many to choose from meaning that supply of decent used cars will be much lower forcing prices up. Get while the getting's good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

cant say we didnt see this coming. I have only seen two 09's and both were bmw's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

jonnygee wrote: »
    Well i just dont know what the answer is, I want to buy a new car , I have the cash available to buy an 09 but I just cant afford to take the hit. Cars that are retailing around 25000 are going to be worth about 16000 after one year. It seems like madness to me to take that sort of loss.
    Maybe it,s something that we have,nt become accoustomed to yet but we might have to.
    The new Co2 rates have made importing deisels from uk very attractive.
    Our new prices seem very high because of vrt, you can import an 08 diesel with very little miles for an awful lot less even after adding on vrt.

The problem is that Irish people in recent years have forgotten what assets are actually for! When it came to houses, we forgot that houses are for living in! We decided to turn them over as investments because they became more important as an investment object than as a place where people live and use for shelter, heat and comfort. A lot of this game was pathethic and ego driven posing, so folks could mouth off about their "property investment portfolio".

The exact same has happened with the motor industry, we forgot what cars are for! Cars are for getting us from A to B, but in Ireland, the purchase of valuable car's became a method of telling your neighbours that you were wealthier than they were!

Now the baloon has burst and the house of cards is lying as flat as a sheet of paper on the table, I hope we have learnt something but I fear we have not.

JohnnyGee, why do you need or want to buy a 09 car??? I'm not flaming here, but what can a 09 car do for you that a 07/08 car cannot do for you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Darragh29 wrote: »
    but what can a 09 car do for you that a 07/08 car cannot do for you???

Depreciate more quickly? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The shocker for me is Merc down 85%. I would have thought many *new* Merc buyers are in the leagues of wealth, that though not being recession proof, that it wouldn't impinge on their purchase of a new car.

Looking like a lot of good value demos to be had. You have to wonder is the Toyota thing due to so many of the 2nd generation Avensis being registered in 08 to depreciate them to a saleable level for 09, or is it people waiting for the 1.33 engine and the 3rd gen Avensis.

My mother took great delight in telling me she's holding on to her 06 Yaris for another 6-7 years now that it owes her nothing:eek: Now I wouldn't mind, but when I eventually do move out, that will be the sole car in the driveway...a 10 year old Vectra or Mondeo with a better than base spec and engine I can handle, but a 10 year old supermini on regular mileage is madness.

Women:rolleyes:

She does have a sneaky wish to have a nice C-Class or Passat though which is affordable at this rate if things keep going.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

People have stopped spending folks. They can't/won't borrow. They are dead right too imho.

Prices must fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

BMWs fall is a surprise. Notice the reversal of fortune with Audi - what THAT about!?:confused: Are Bimmers becoming slightly unfashionable? With all that Efficent Dynamics bollocks you'd expect them to weather the storm a bit better.

VW and Mazda are surprises also. VWs I think represent poor value for money so I'm not surprised. Mazda have a good range though - the 2 & 6 are very recent models and they have the excellent 1.6d engine with high MPG/low CO2...

Yah, go Subaru!
    And AFAIK that's with a soon-to-be replaced Legacy (and the excellent value Impreza hasn't hit the showroom yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

does someone want to quess what happens for whole year.

Does the car sales improve here or not?

I kind of hope they do, because if you have 70% drop for whole year, how many garages are left at end of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If it does keep going the way it is, there will be ALOT more people on the live register claiming the social this time next year.

How is Mr Cowen going to pay for all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

pburns wrote: »
    BMWs fall is a surprise. Notice the reversal of fortune with Audi - what THAT about!?:confused: Are Bimmers becoming slightly unfashionable?

well done on posting the speradsheets; its nice to have some real facts for a change.

I would've bet the house on BMW performing better than Audi (i.e. those percentage figures reversed).

I guess all the nancy-boys are drawn to those tacky running lights on all new audi's. Last years fad; in a few years they'll scream 'look at me, I've an aul audi with a set of fairy lights across the front'.

also, phew, my faith is restored; I saw my first 09 this morning, an A4 as it happens, diesel entry level, parked up in the railway station. Its quite common to see new cars every year and all they do is depreciate in the railway station while the owner gets the train into town. One is a Focus ST, and its in the same spot every day for the past 2 years. An expensive luxury. Those days are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone got any clue how much VAT and VRT is down based on those 10 day figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

pburns wrote: »
    BMWs fall is a surprise. Notice the reversal of fortune with Audi - what THAT about!?:confused: Are Bimmers becoming slightly unfashionable? With all that Efficent Dynamics bollocks you'd expect them to weather the storm a bit better.).

Even more surprising given that last January's BMW figures would presumably have been lower than normal with people waiting until July to register at the new lower VRT rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Well I have no sympathy for the people who have ripped Joe Soap off in this country for years. I feel sorry for the people who will lose thier jobs because of this big mess. The Industry here needs a big wake up call. Its lost its competitive edge and our neighbours across the pond and up north are cleaning up.

+1 nail on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sk8board wrote: »
    I guess all the nancy-boys are drawn to those tacky running lights on all new audi's. Last years fad; in a few years they'll scream 'look at me, I've an aul audi with a set of fairy lights across the front'.
    Those fairy lights will be regulation on all cars for use in the EU by 2013 I think the deadline is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Don't think these have been posted yet.

Top 10 registered vehicles in the first week of 2009

Manufacturer Engine Size Fuel Type Number sold

NISSAN QASHQAI 1.5 Diesel 377
    FORD FIESTA 1.25 Petrol 292
    TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 Diesel 269
    TOYOTA YARIS 1.0 Petrol 212
    VW PASSAT 1.9 Diesel 175
    FORD FOCUS 1.8 Diesel 166
    TOYOTA COROLLA 1.4 Diesel 158
    AUDI A4 2.0 Diesel 139
    SKODA OCTAVIA 1.9 Diesel 138
    OPEL INSIGNIA 2.0 Diesel 122

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Even more surprising given that last January's BMW figures would presumably have been lower than normal with people waiting until July to register at the new lower VRT rates.

BMW only released their July 08 prices in April 08 - so couldnt be that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

As a Skoda driver its good to see them performing relatively well & 6th place isnt bad considering the well established brands above them.

Anyone else feel that Skoda could/should be doing better?
    They are no longer a cheap brand when compared to some of the Asian brands. Can people see them starting to lose their grip on the "value" end of the market??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Buying a new 09 bmw in ireland at the moment is financial suicide when 6month old demos can be bought at nearly half the cost from the UK.
    A lot of bussiness are not buying new bmw's or are downsizing.(or are going bust)

I believe that BMW dealers in Ireland will be nearly destroyed by trading conditions in 2009. Unless they can make a living fleccing customers with UK imports on servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I would've bet the house on BMW performing better than Audi (i.e. those percentage figures reversed)

Not with absolutely everybody in the country buying a second hand imported BMW 3-series Diesel for the last year and a half. People buying new would've wanted something original I expect. They wouldnt want to buy a newer version of their thrifty neighbours car..
    The exact same has happened with the motor industry, we forgot what cars are for! Cars are for getting us from A to B, but in Ireland, the purchase of valuable car's became a method of telling your neighbours that you were wealthier than they were!

I bought a new TT in Jan 08. I am still unbelievably happy with my purchase. I own it outright, it's paid for. A car is for going from A to B yes. But how it does it counts. -Then again I've always loved cars-

Now with the collapse of the car market, it will be nice owning one of the newer cars on the road for the next 2 years. In fact I hope to buy a secondhand motorbike soon, with cash. I only see opportunity.
    And no it wont be to show off to the neighbours. It will be so I can move into the city centre to live and commute OUT to the outskirts for work.

Now is a great time to change your lifestyle. It's more affordable than its ever been. And by that I mean its starting to be realistic. 16yr old apprentices no longer earn as much as trained professionals.

My point: If you've actually earned your income rather than pretended to the last few years, you can do very well right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

fluffer wrote: »
    Not with absolutely everybody in the country buying a second hand imported BMW 3-series Diesel for the last year and a half. People buying new would've wanted something original I expect. They wouldnt want to buy a newer version of their thrifty neighbours car..

I bought a new TT in Jan 08. I am still unbelievably happy with my purchase. I own it outright, it's paid for. A car is for going from A to B yes. But how it does it counts. -Then again I've always loved cars-

Now with the collapse of the car market, it will be nice owning one of the newer cars on the road for the next 2 years. In fact I hope to buy a secondhand motorbike soon, with cash. I only see opportunity.
    And no it wont be to show off to the neighbours. It will be so I can move into the city centre to live and commute OUT to the outskirts for work.

Now is a great time to change your lifestyle. It's more affordable than its ever been. And by that I mean its starting to be realistic. 16yr old apprentices no longer earn as much as trained professionals.

My point: If you've actually earned your income rather than pretended to the last few years, you can do very well right now.

Good for you! It's great to see a petrolhead with a nice motor who can actually pay for it and has the sense and wherewithal to make changes that improve quality of life.

I bought a 4x4 as an oldish second 'work/fun' car before all the builders went tits-up. Could have bought it for a helluva lot less in retrospect. If I was buying something now...ohhhhh...the world would be my oyster, t'would be great fun!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Those fairy lights will be regulation on all cars for use in the EU by 2013 I think the deadline is.

off-topic I know, but you're correct (I even think its sooner than that, Jan/Feb 2011), but once its a regulation they'll become tasteful. Audi's aren't IMO. They scream at you. The A4 has 28 white LED's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

sk8board wrote: »
    off-topic I know, but you're correct (I even think its sooner than that, Jan/Feb 2011), but once its a regulation they'll become tasteful. Audi's aren't IMO. They scream at you. The A4 has 28 white LED's!

Not as standard, only as part of the optional extra Xenon lights. The standard A4 has halogen DRLs, as most cars will when the legislation comes in.
    Also, the DRLs can be turned off manually, so if you like the car but don't like the LEDs, you're not stuck with them.

• Advertisement

I heard from a Land Rover guy today that 2 of the 9 LR's registered in the first 10 days are sitting in his garage, registered to them.
    I assume some other LR garages have done the same, so potentially none in the hands of buyers.
    That could account for a number of the other smaller marque's too (5 Saab's?); the garages register a few cars, stick on the plates, and park them on the front lawn

Advertisement