Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Xbox, repair, refund or replacement??

Options
  • 12-01-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I am hoping for some feedback on a issue has arisen over the weekend. Basically my Xbox 360 has died, got the RROD problem. Now this is only 9 months old and I know that Microsoft offer a 3 year warranty covering repair. My issue is that I do not want a repair, as I will not be happy with the machine knowing that after only 9 months and very little use its gone bellyup so may never be right. Basically I bought it in Xtravision, and when I rang the shop I bought it in I was told that I had to deal with Microsoft and not them, after posting here about RROD, it was suggested that I go back to Xtravision and point out that my contract is with them and they are obliged to deal with it. I rang headoffice an hour ago and they are offering me a repair (something I can get off Microsoft no matter what), but are refusing to offer a refund or replacement. Basically all I want is a direct replacement for my machine.

Where do I stand legally? I have the recepit, should I go to the small claims court and persue this matter? am I entitled to a replacement or refund and legally am I likely to win from peoples personal experience.

My view is that Microsoft will fix no matter what and that from links posted on here and going on consumer sites that I am entitled to a replacement.

what do people think!

thanks alot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You are entitled to one of three of Repair, Replacement, Refund. XtraVision are well within their rights to insist on a Repair. You could take it down the SCC route if you really wanted to, but you have no guarantee whatsoever that the SCC will rule in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Honestly you are better going for a repair with Microsoft, they will probably replace it anyway.

My brother has had 4 different machines in 3 years, the last time they upgraded him to the new model. In my opinion he probably contributed to the damage himself but no questions were asked.

Where else would you get service like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

On the RROD issue, you're probably best off dealing direct with MS, they'll arrange the pick up, have it fixed, and returned to you quite quickly. If you deal with Xtravision, you'll be depending on them to contact MS, and get all that done. If they're pissed off with you, they might drag their heals over the issue. They may also waste time contacting you when it is returned, leaving you without the Xbox for far longer than you should be.

The repair should work fine, and even a replacement would be prone to the exact same problem anyway, so the repair is probably better.

If you decide to with the Small Claims, then they could very likely rule against you, if they decide that you are being unreasonable in refusing both Xtravision and MS in their offer of repair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

your better off just taking the repair service, in most cases from what i hear they just switch the console for a new one anyway. they are within their rights to offer you a repair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yogicolly

thanks for the advice. If I go for the repair and Microsoft decide just to replace my machine, will the replacement be a refurbished machine or a brand new one. from reading about this problem it seems to have a habit of sending out refursbished machines. surely if this occurs I can demand a brand new one as technically Microsft did not fix the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

You will have a 3 year warranty so if anything else happens you just send it back again. I have sent back two xboxs, one they replaced, one they fixed. They both looked and worked exactly the same. I couldnt tell if the one they replaced was refurbished or new, nor did I care once it did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Again as far as I know all replacements are refurbs, new casing, tested etc. new serial no.

ROAs within 14days replaced by MS and sent to stores seem to be new stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it is unreasonablr to not allow xtravision repair or replace after 9 months and the small claims court would most likely agree. your contract is with xtravision who will send the unit back and most likely be sent a new replacement for you or be told to give you a new unit, if you deal direct with microsoft they will most likely send you a refurbished unit.

if the same issue happens again you would have a much better case for seeking a refund but xtravision would probably fight you on that right to the small claims court.

Advertisement