Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Hardware (Taylor's) - Closed for business

Options
  • 12-01-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the shop was closed today and then I found out it's been closed since before Christmas. I'm surprised it lasted so long having B&Q and Woodies near by.

It is sad though as it's nice to see a local store in a town. Swords seems to be full of Betting shops these days. :rolleyes:

Any idea what will go in place of it? I can't see the Taylor family getting rid of the property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 malahide_col

If the story is true it's very sad. The shop had great service and advice and some very nice ranges, not the usual hicky stuff you find in shops like this. Will be sadly missed.

It means that Woodies and B&Q etc are the only ones left - with poor service and a bemused look off the staff when you ask where anything is. People seem to shun the local shops in favour of these retail park stores but it pays to shop around and at least give the local shops some business.

Larianne is right when she says it will be replaced by either a takeaway/bookie type shop that really adds nothing to the main street. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yes it's true, was in the Fingal independent recently. I'm sad about it, I remember the shop from when I was a child, but realistically speaking, it's not really a surprise. Unless you wanted fish or fishtanks, it's easier and cheaper to go to woodies/atlantic/B&Q etc. But it's the end of an era.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I remember when that shop was Taylor's Drapery - the hardware was smaller and to the right. The drapery sold school uniforms and wool, etc. It really is sad that it's gone forever now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I remember when that shop was Taylor's Drapery - the hardware was smaller and to the right. The drapery sold school uniforms and wool, etc. It really is sad that it's gone forever now.

I remember that too.. School uniforms were in to the left..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Was a nice shop that, one of those quaint places not unlike Malahide Hardware but nicer. Always prefer the local shops but they just aren't convenient for parking (you'd be lucky not to have to walk round from the pavilions during the day for Swords Main St) so I don't use them unless I have to. Pity really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

pity, swords sold its soul to the devil years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

I don't know how true is it but I've heard Burger King are going in. Hopefully it's just a horrible rumor :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't know how true is it but I've heard Burger King are going in. Hopefully it's just a horrible rumor :mad:

no way!? really? I was going to post that one more fast food joint wouldn't make a difference in the town now, but I forgot we were talking about the main street - that would actually make me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If it makes any difference - Super Mac's in Blake's Cross closed last Sunday.

The 'balance' is maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Was a nice shop that, one of those quaint places not unlike Malahide Hardware but nicer. Always prefer the local shops but they just aren't convenient for parking (you'd be lucky not to have to walk round from the pavilions during the day for Swords Main St) so I don't use them unless I have to. Pity really.

I wonder how long that will last. Usually empty anytime I walk past. I've seen a lot of local hardware shops close down around the country in the last few years, it's a shame but it's just like the local shop, the big guys take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Hill Billy wrote: »
    If it makes any difference - Super Mac's in Blake's Cross closed last Sunday.

The 'balance' is maintained.

Bugger, that place was handy heading home from work late :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

oh I hope not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kazziedal

I was so sorry when I was told that the Taylors had to sell up. I worked there for 4 years and met my husband when he came to work there. I even took a pregnancy test on my lunch break and found out I was expecting my first child there. So that place holds a whole lot of memories for me. I still talk to some of the last staff to work there and they are doing well.
    The Taylors where lovely people to work for.
    I will really miss seeing the swords hardware sign when they finally take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It means that Woodies and B&Q etc are the only ones left
    There's Peter Galvin's on Upper Main Street (opposite the Garda Station) - a real hardware shop.

There is also Atlantic Homecare and another local shop opposite JC Savage's.

Advertisement