Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggis

Options
  • 12-01-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where you can get a haggis in Cork?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved from F&D.

Hope you have better luck finding an answer here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hi there I do not know where you can get Haggis in Cork. I do however know of a company that ships them to Ireland (I have used them 3 times over the last 3 years for 3 Robbie Burn's nights that I helped out at) and they were always very good. If you would like their details let me know.

They do a large variety of them......not sure if you are looking for a lot of it or just 1 meals worth if that makes sense.....

Apologies if this is of no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

just the one i am looking for - i have found places on the web but as they do them fresh the delivery is always in a cooled container and costs about 40euro! So if you have any details it would be appreciated thanks.

Sorry, the ones that I was talking about are the fresh ones that come in the cool box :( Were you looking for the tinned variety then??

nah i was looking for the fresh one - just one that was maybe a bit cheaper to deliver ! M&S in Dublin do them but not in Cork for some reason.

No to worry I have found a compromise recipe that I will attempt instead!

Cheers

• Advertisement

nah i was looking for the fresh one - just one that was maybe a bit cheaper to deliver ! M&S in Dublin do them but not in Cork for some reason.

Cheers

You're welcome :) Best of luck with the search. If I hear of anything else I will let you know.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Keep us posted OP - I wouldn't mind having a bit of haggis again. Is the Haggis in M&S tinned or fresh ?

Terrible divils to catch I believe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've heard M&S do haggis, but I haven't checked myself. But there is a butcher (who's name escapes me) on Marlboro street (between Oliver Plunkett St. and Patrick St.)that does haggis, or at least did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I know where to get a vegetarian haggis..

I know where to get a vegetarian haggis..

Most Haggi are vegetarian - eating only thistles with a little grass thrown in to help the digestion.
    Terrible divils to catch I believe....

Most definitely - although they are not endangered in anyway, just bloody good at hiding!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Good to see you're getting some help OP.
    parsi wrote: »
    Terrible divils to catch I believe.....

"A quater of US tourists surveyed thought that they could hunt and catch the country's most famous dish [haggis]"

Source

I spent a few months working in Bunratty and was asked did we eat turf.

Would that be O'Flynn's in Marlboro Street - I might try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

parsi wrote: »
    Would that be O'Flynn's in Marlboro Street - I might try them.

Ah yeah that rings a bell, I'm sure it's them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Have you tried the English Market?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cheers

M & S Cork do stock them - just not many of them & you have to be lucky - I got one yesterday, but it was the only one there - probably have to get there soon after they open.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Now the foreigner question time:
    What's a "haggis"???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

A haggis is a Dodo? LOL
    Don't think so...gotta Wiki!

Gotcha...we have the smiliar and it's nothing rare of exotic...lol
    I think in other times people didn't want to trow away anything from the animal and this was a nice way to use the less "noble" parts...
    We have a proverb in Italy, "Del maiale non si butta via niente", it means "You don't trow anything away of the pork", more or less... lol
    (Sorry for the OT)

Andip wrote: »
    M & S Cork do stock them - just not many of them & you have to be lucky - I got one yesterday, but it was the only one there - probably have to get there soon after they open.....

None there tonight and supposedly none spotted since Christmas - better check the date on yours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Mmmmmm Haggis is yummy with some buttery spuds and turnip or cabbage.

Would love to know if it can be got in Cork. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

necro is quite right and we have shared a delicious few haggi from o'flynns of marlboro st.

they do not stock the evey week but instead do a big batch now and again and sell it off in chunks.

it is not exactly like scottish haggis as it is a little less spiced and is prepared in a sausage like shape much like a white pudding.

but it is still haggis and still delicious, i fully recommend O'Flynns the food is great and butchers as friendly and helpful as can be. they even has leaflets printed up and left on the counter telling you how to cook haggis. what more could you ask a business to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

M&S maybe?

thanks lads - i managed to get some in M&S.

Same here.

Advertisement