Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value v advertised price.

Options
  • 12-01-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering are houses at the moment getting the asking price, or how much below the asking price is a reasonable offer? Percentages!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

thanks to ronbyrne, post 5494, House bubble Bursting thread:

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news...ad-to-nowhere/

Michael Grehan, MD, Sherry FitzGerald

"It's exceptionally difficult to call the bottom of any market, but particularly so in property. You can only do it with hindsight. The astute buyer now has it all their own way because they can bargain. The investors have gone and people can negotiate on price – that was unheard of even a year ago.
    ******In many cases, the difference between original asking price and final selling price is 50%.*******
    Buyers now have sellers where they want them. The buying opportunity of a lifetime presents itself in 2009. Of course there is a herd mentality – 'no-one else is buying so perhaps I shouldn't either'. But I don't think Irish people are going to stop wanting their own homes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

shelly6 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering are houses at the moment getting the asking price, or how much below the asking price is a reasonable offer? Percentages!

It really depends on the property in question.

Some people are living in denial, and their asking prices represent those achieved in 2006.

However, there are a number of people who have already knocked upwards of 45% off their original asking price or 2006 levels, and obviously that needs to be taken into account.

If you post up a daft.ie link here to the property in question, i'm sure you'll get a few opinions from people here on what they think the property is worth, and more importantly why they think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

yeah, make an offer -50% lower than asking price!

i cant remeber if i read it on boards or elsewhere, but your first offer isn't low enough unless your embarassed about it!

If the final price agreed might be 50% of the asking price, you need to offer less than 50% of the asking price to start with. Put a note in the door if the EA won't pass it on. Vendor however may be living in cloud-cuckoo land, and hanging on to 2006 valuations.....

The value of the house is up to you.....how much do you want it? Are there other houses that you like too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Im a first time buyer and im a little confused reading the comments in this thread; so if a house is for sale at 600,000....offer them 300,000....seriously?

Does anyone have first hand experience of this actually working (getting the property at half the advertised price?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Put a note in the door if the EA won't pass it on.

Excellent advice. Suggest including the same and address of you solicitor to add "bona fides" to your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

macy9 wrote: »
    Im a first time buyer and im a little confused reading the comments in this thread; so if a house is for sale at 600,000....offer them 300,000....seriously?

Does anyone have first hand experience of this actually working (getting the property at half the advertised price?)

No.

As has all ready been stated in this thread it depends on a number of factors.

if someone bought 750k house in 06 and is now on the market for 600k

if they mortgaged say 500k of the house and put up 250 they can hardly sell it at 300k

Every house/Seller/area/type of house/etc etc is going to be totally different.

Don't go around with a % in your mind.

Look at what you can comofortably afford (not what the bank will give you)

find houses in the area you want/can afford to live in, find out how long the house has been on the market, go and view it what sort of condition is it in will it need work etc THEN you start thinking about what sort of low balling you want to do.

House prices will drop at different %'s in different areas

an example would be a 3 bedroom house in Cabra is going to drop a lot less (in general) than a 3bed in the arsehole of Cavan

Do your research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

ntlbell wrote: »
    an example would be a 3 bedroom house in Cabra is going to drop a lot less (in general) than a 3bed in the arsehole of Cavan

so Cavan has an arsehole but Cabra doesn't? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

I'd rather buy in Cavan than Cabra!

In my case, its a 1 bed apartment in Mulhuddart at about 150K. There are several (2nd hand) available, and we are easy going - it suits us to buy and it suits it not to.

Half of 150K is 75K. I would feel ridiculous offering that! But on the other hand, I'm thinking that because there are so many of the same thing available in the same estate that we could just get very lucky and have a low offer accepted, and don't wanna end up kicking ourselves by offering too high!

Why?
    we are easy going - it suits us to buy and it suits it not to.

Then wait.

• Advertisement

so Cavan has an arsehole but Cabra doesn't? :confused:

It's Cabrock to you sir.

Half of 150K is 75K. I would feel ridiculous offering that!

Look at all the property websites - askaboutmoney.com, mortgages and house buying; thepropertypin; daft.ie discussions; etc.

Everyone says you should be embarrassed by your first offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Myself and my partner are looking at an apartment for €270000, but there is also a duplex we are looking at for €299950, should we offer 270000 for the duplex first? The apartment won't go for any lower than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

SarahJ wrote: »
    Myself and my partner are looking at an apartment for €270000, but there is also a duplex we are looking at for €299950, should we offer 270000 for the duplex first? The apartment won't go for any lower than that.

I'd probably start a lot lower than that tbh. It's easy to come up on your early offers, - but not nearly so to come down. If you attempt to reduce, - you will be met with serious mistrust, and with good reason.
    I'd start with 240K (or less) for the duplex and slowly go up from there. Some would even say thats a bit high for a first offer in the current market. Give it a week or so between offers and let them sweat a little.
    Time is on your side, - much more so than it is for any sellers out there.
    The apartment won't go for any lower than that.
    It might not sell at all then, - the market for apartments has seriously collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

I'm heading to have a look at some apts tomorow with a similar price to what your saying and I have it on good authority if your looking at the same place.

The developer & builder are in serious***serious trouble, be ballsy about prices where ever you go New property is not worth the land its on at the Moment.

dblennon wrote: »
    I'm heading to have a look at some apts tomorow with a similar price to what your saying and I have it on good authority if your looking at the same place.

The developer & builder are in serious***serious trouble, be ballsy about prices where ever you go New property is not worth the land its on at the Moment.

I pm'd you the name of the aparments. I'm hoping its the ones! I'd love to think I could go lower than what they are asking.
    ravendude wrote: »
    I'd probably start a lot lower than that tbh. It's easy to come up on your early offers, - but not nearly so to come down. If you attempt to reduce, - you will be met with serious mistrust, and with good reason.
    I'd start with 240K (or less) for the duplex and slowly go up from there. Some would even say thats a bit high for a first offer in the current market. Give it a week or so between offers and let them sweat a little.
    Time is on your side, - much more so than it is for any sellers out there.

It might not sell at all then, - the market for apartments has seriously collapsed.

Wow 240,000, I'd be embarrassed to offer that, so from what I'm reading in this thread, thats a good price to start on. :p

How do you know?

If you put in an offer for 200,000 and it was accepted, would you be happier than paying 270K?

NEVER offer your maximum on first bid.......always leave room for negotiation.

It's far too much money to spend without doing a good bit of research first, so do **please** look at all the websites mentioned above. Of course you may well be super-rich for all I know (except the rich are inevitably careful how they spend....)

How do you know?

If you put in an offer for 200,000 and it was accepted, would you be happier than paying 270K?

It's far too much money to spend without doing a good bit of research first, so do **please** look at all the websites mentioned above. Of course you may well be super-rich for all I know (except the rich are inevitably careful how they spend....)

We asked on viewing, and he said they are already way under their value, but sure, we haven't really got a clue of all this, it's a very scary time in my life. Rich ha, sure I'd wouldn't be looking at a €270,000 apartment if I was rich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Dont have a lot of experience but have been looking myself. We know exactly what we want & where & have been watching prices for last couple of years.Went to see recently & estate agent knocked 30k off the asking price before we had even said anything. Asking price & selling price are two very different things. Try & find out what properties are selling for as opposed to asking. Some estates, similar properties can have huge differences so obviously you go in at lower scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

We asked on viewing, and he said they are already way under their value, but sure, we haven't really got a clue of all this, it's a very scary time in my life. Rich ha, sure I'd wouldn't be looking at a €270,000 apartment if I was rich :D
    It's his job to say that. Don't believe him.

• Advertisement

It's the Estate Agent's job to sell the house/apartment. His duty is to the seller/developer. EAs will say anything they can get away with, in order to sell the apartment at the *highest price*. They will make up fictitious other bidders. Do NOT believe anything an EA says.

If you are not embarrassed by your opening bid, do not make it.

Please do not be a lamb to the slaughter here - EAs just love trusting gullible people! If you really haven't a clue, do the research!!! It's too much money to hand over meekly, and then find out your neighbours paid substantially less than you for the same kind of apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's the Estate Agent's job to sell the house/apartment. His duty is to the seller/developer. EAs will say anything they can get away with, in order to sell the apartment at the *highest price*. They will make up fictitious other bidders. Do NOT believe anything an EA says.

If you are not embarrassed by your opening bid, do not make it.

Please do not be a lamb to the slaughter here - EAs just love trusting gullible people! If you really haven't a clue, do the research!!! It's too much money to hand over meekly, and then find out your neighbours paid substantially less than you for the same kind of apartment.

+1 to that.

We rented a house when we sold our own in September. The house we're renting is on at €275k. Before Christmas we put in an offer of €190k. Heard nothing back. Have had contact from FOUR auctioneers this week enquiring as to whether we're still in the market.

The auctioneer selling the house we're in asked if the offer was still on. Since we moved in here the highest price house of a similar narture (in very good condition) was €335k. The one in the worst condition was €265k. That has now dropped to 'region of' €230k.

In a new development in Waterford just this week, a 1600 square foot house has dropped in price from €335k to €240k. So hang in there. You'll get it at the right price. But first you have to get over the whole embarrassment thing.

Remember you'll never see this EA or seller again. It's your money - not theirs. So get the best price you can.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

How do you know?

Agreed. Your two most important sites are:

www.thepropertypin.com and

www.irishpropertywatch.com

I have also noticed a huge discrepancy between prices on www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie

Daft.ie appears to be far more current with pricing. So do shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

In my case, its a 1 bed apartment in Mulhuddart at about 150K. There are several (2nd hand) available, and we are easy going - it suits us to buy and it suits it not to.

Half of 150K is 75K. I would feel ridiculous offering that! But on the other hand, I'm thinking that because there are so many of the same thing available in the same estate that we could just get very lucky and have a low offer accepted, and don't wanna end up kicking ourselves by offering too high!

Offer 80k, all they can do is say no. They could have only 50k-60k left on the mortgage and want to cut their losses and clear the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I assume the people looking for the "value" of the house are asking how much can I buy it for now not how much will i be able to buy it for in a few years.

A house that was valued at 500 at the peak, would now be approx 30% less so 350,000 according to the reports out there. I agree that the price similar houses sell for in 2 years might be 250,000 or 200,000 . but if you want to buy a house now that doesn't help that much. If you want to pay 250,000 you have to wait.

The pre-bust price was based on how much was someone who wanted the house able to pay.

Today the price is based on how much is the vendor wiling to accept. Someone may have a lot of the mortgage payed off and need to move. but they may not need to move and might be unwilling to sell for less than the value of the mortgage , so they won't sell.

I've yet so meet of anyone who has gotten a house for 50% of asking. Maybe they exist, and it's always worth a go.( 50% off peak value I've seen though)

the most important thing to ask is.
    1) will I be able to live her for 10 years,think kids, grankids, whatever may happen over 10 years.
    2) Can I afford the life on want with a mortgage of x. but still keep the house if something happens. Partner stays at home to mind kids. Overtime is cut, job is lost for a bit.

Then all you have to do is keep offering till you find someone willing to sell you a house that meet criteria 1 for criteria 2. then go for it

For a more mathematical approach I use

Though the way I look at it is
    1) price of the house at peak - 30%, less another 20%,
    then
    2) What could you rent the house out for x12 x 16-20
    I multiply by 16-20 as it is a house I want to live in. this is a figure you should not be embarassed about offering, If they are looking for 25 to 30 times yield. They're living in cloud cookoo land, or 2007.

If prices fall to 14 times yield investors will start buying again.

gives me some figures to start at at least.

Current prices in California( first to rise first to bust, and where I'm located)
    are at 20 times yield and house sales are rising. due to a lot of foreclosures driving the price down to a little under 20 times yield .

I've also noticed that the number of houses on daft has leveled out if not dropped slightly as mortgages rates have fallen( source Daftwatch graph).
    Probably also due to a lot less houses coming on stream. Are people looking to get a house at todays prices though with a very low mortgage rate. Rather than waiting for 5 years when the interest rates might go back to 5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Are people looking to get a house at todays prices though with a very low mortgage rate. Rather than waiting for 5 years when the interest rates might go back to 5%

A very pertinent question that so many people have missed!

Over the long term it may be better to buy now and lock in the interest rate rather than wait. Look at how interest rates soared after every previous market crash over the last 100 years or so and interest rate wise we are at really historical lows!

Buying property is like buying anything else, if you want something now you will pay the lowest price you can negotiate for it at the current moment or you take a chance that someone else won't buy it if you hold off and wait.

If it is something they really want folks will buy now.

There must be a pent up demand for property with lots trying to wait and see have we really hit market bottom yet. When buying increases when people believe the market has reached it lowest there will be a gradual or sudden rush to buy thus increasing prices.

The question is, will there be a property price rise to match the speed of the crash in prices or will we be back to a more gentle increase?

Investors in shares usually say it is impossible to predict the future earnings of shares and it is useless to try to time a future market

The same probably applies to property prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Okay everyone, here we go.
    What do i bid at?
    2 houses.
    1 in portmarnock that has been on sale for 2 years, started at 650K, and has now been at 500K for a couple of months. 3 bed semi, needs a bit of work. Does have great extension potential(way down the road). I feel this house should be substantially lower as it was way overpriced to begin with, hasn't sold, and needs work
    2nd house is in malahide, a 3 bed, mid terrace older council house that has been sitting at 410K since last August. It's in pretty bad shape and needs alot of work. Much smaller than the 1 in port, and limited to extensions(down the road of course) as it's MID terrace.
    Any GENUINE thoughts appreciated, please? Specially if there's any valuers out there, or builders, etc...

Thnaks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

ascottdub wrote: »
    Okay everyone, here we go.
    What do i bid at?
    2 houses.
    1 in portmarnock that has been on sale for 2 years, started at 650K, and has now been at 500K for a couple of months. 3 bed semi, needs a bit of work. Does have great extension potential(way down the road). I feel this house should be substantially lower as it was way overpriced to begin with, hasn't sold, and needs work
    2nd house is in malahide, a 3 bed, mid terrace older council house that has been sitting at 410K since last August. It's in pretty bad shape and needs alot of work. Much smaller than the 1 in port, and limited to extensions(down the road of course) as it's MID terrace.
    Any GENUINE thoughts appreciated, please? Specially if there's any valuers out there, or builders, etc...

Thnaks in advance

Id suggest you put up Daft links for the two houses so people know what they are comparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Bee wrote: »
    Over the long term it may be better to buy now and lock in the interest rate rather than wait. Look at how interest rates soared after every previous market crash over the last 100 years or so and interest rate wise we are at really historical lows!

And how does one 'lock in' these low interest rates in a market with no really long-term (5 year+) fixed rate products available?
    There must be a pent up demand for property with lots trying to wait and see have we really hit market bottom yet. When buying increases when people believe the market has reached it lowest there will be a gradual or sudden rush to buy thus increasing prices.

Or you could consider the fact that we have emigration starting up again, and that during the boom years we have had massive overbuilding and a large overhang of supply. Add to that the fact that many people who may not otherwise have bought until now or the future bought during the boom in order to 'get on the ladder' thus using up future supplies of first time buyers.
    The question is, will there be a property price rise to match the speed of the crash in prices or will we be back to a more gentle increase?

They are talking about 15%+ unemployment and the possibility of the IMF being called in in the near future, bearing that in mind do you see a swift rise in property prices in the next few years?
    Investors in shares usually say it is impossible to predict the future earnings of shares and it is useless to try to time a future market

The same probably applies to property prices

It may be impossible to predict with 100% accuracy but an informed commentator can certainly make some useful predictions. And property prices, being far less liquid than shares actually do tend to follow certain specific patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

There is a slim to negligable chance of of a rush to buy in the foreseeable future, even in the medium term. Usually when a major asset bust takes place, it is a generation before another rush or bubble will again eventuate. This is because the collective memory must first forget about the bust, which usually requires a new generation. Those of us (i.e. our generation) who were bitten by the bust will be less inclined to pay exorbitant prices in the future, having learnt about financial gravity (what goes up must come down) the hard way. The crazy prices we witnessed at the height of the boom, and still characterize most of the market today are simply out of kilter with wages and affordabillity. The crazy prices have been predicated by the irrational notion that prices would keep going up.
    i.e. People were disposed to pay a mad price for their house because they believed it would be at a much higher price later.

They now clearly understand that the above is not reality and will be much less willing to pay through the nose in the future.

Prices will correct. Then we will see a flat to sluggish market until the next generation of suckers come of age.

Advertisement