Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Beers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kingtut wrote: »
    Ah Douglas is like a 30min walk from me! Town is 10/15 mins....so if ya need to call me something call me a townie...You are closer to Douglas than I am little girl! :D:p

Takes you 10 mins to go down the hill by Zico's???? Really now once you hit Paddy the Farmer's you are in town, just not the City Centre.
    That's true, Patrick's hill ffs!!! It has hand rails :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hate patricks hill!!!:mad: Have had to climb it with 70lbs weight in Gear when going somewhere before!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Town is bloody further thank you very much! 30/40 mins sometimes when we walk.

That's because you leave further from town than I do (which means you are closer to Douglas :D) takes me 15 mins max to walk to St. Patrick's Street but ya it would take me around 30 mins from O'Driscolls shop. I walk at a very fast pace.
    Takes you 10 mins to go down the hill by Zico's???? Really now once you hit Paddy the Farmer's you are in town, just not the City Centre.

10/15 mins to get to Patrick's St. Sorry forgot that town does not mean patrick's st lol :)

about 2.5/3 mins for the hill by Zicco's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I hate patricks hill!!!:mad: Have had to climb it with 70lbs weight in Gear when going somewhere before!!!!

Des Bishop was right. There really should be escalators on patrick's hill

towel401 wrote: »
    Des Bishop was right. There really should be escalators on patrick's hill

There's a first for everything!!!!:D

I lol'd at that :D Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I walk fast too but argh, I'm dreading my run tonight. Silverkey/Well Road/length on Douglas Road and back round! Not that long but I haven't done it in awhile.

I walk fast too but argh, I'm dreading my run tonight. Silverkey/Well Road/length on Douglas Road and back round! Not that long but I haven't done it in awhile.

What is the total distance? Are you training for something or just keeping fit? I really want to start running, used to ages ago but lost the motivation. It's hard running on your own and I do not know if I want to join a club....

Are you a member of a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I'm desperately trying to find the motivation to run again. Went out for two runs a couple of weeks ago and stopped again. It's very difficult to run by yourself alright.

I'm desperately trying to find the motivation to run again. Went out for two runs a couple of weeks ago and stopped again. It's very difficult to run by yourself alright.

i've got my Ipod! bunch of 80s nonense, some Britney and I'm off although I'm known to start dancing to myself much to the amusement of people driving down the Well Road lol.

I'm just trying to keep fit, get toned. I've got a pretty good body, but it's more about the toning up? I wish I had someone else to run with but my friends think walking to Douglas is a stretch lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

First handrails, now elevators??:pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, most of my friends are convinced running isn't a sport. I used to be mad into it, but I gave up because I turned into a teenager. I regret that one now of course.

Yeah, most of my friends are convinced running isn't a sport. I used to be mad into it, but I gave up because I turned into a teenager. I regret that one now of course.

Then they should look at the track and athletics teams!

It's grand but it does get boring and that's where my motivation wanders. But, tonight I'm wapping a playlist on and starting up again what with it being Lent and all. It's pretty gruelling stuff though, as odd as it sounds my butt muscles are sore from it some nights, but I figure that means it's doing me good. I started with my brothers weights as well, although I'm still on the dinky small ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I've got a pretty good body, but it's more about the toning up?

Wait. What? Huh? Beers?

What is the total distance? Are you training for something or just keeping fit? I really want to start running, used to ages ago but lost the motivation. It's hard running on your own and I do not know if I want to join a club....

Are you a member of a club?

I thought the same thing, but I have kept a Run log for the past 6 weeks on a Different Forum I use, which keeps me going, because it is a small Forum and I would know some of the people and I would feel bad about missing a run.

You should think of doing something similar!!!! It definitely helps!!!

Then they should look at the track and athletics teams!

It's grand but it does get boring and that's where my motivation wanders. But, tonight I'm wapping a playlist on and starting up again what with it being Lent and all. It's pretty gruelling stuff though, as odd as it sounds my butt muscles are sore from it some nights, but I figure that means it's doing me good. I started with my brothers weights as well, although I'm still on the dinky small ones.

Indeed, it can be pretty gruelling. I always found it better to work towards a race or something though.
    I have to get back into some sport though, even if its not running. I played a game of soccer in school today and was completely wrecked by the end of it. For a while there I was convinced that I was fit enough because I'm thin. So much for that.

Indeed, it can be pretty gruelling. I always found it better to work towards a race or something though.
    I have to get back into some sport though, even if its not running. I played a game of soccer in school today and was completely wrecked by the end of it. For a while there I was convinced that I was fit enough because I'm thin. So much for that.

That's my probem too. Thin but not fit and it annoys me when people say I have no reason to work out. Just because I look in shape doesn't mean I am.

I'd love a kick around actually, but I get pretty agressive with a ball so no chance.

That's my probem too. Thin but not fit and it annoys me when people say I have no reason to work out. Just because I look in shape doesn't mean I am.

Yeah! I often get that. I believed it for a while too. But when I compare myself now to how I was when I did run, there's a huge difference.

I don't suppose there is anyone on boards who would be up for going running with me starting next week? I do not consider myself to be fit at all so I would not be doing too much to start with....

+1 although I would say I am average rather than thin. I hate my stomach :(

minidazzler can you provide me with a link please? Thanks:)

I don't suppose there is anyone on boards who would be up for going running with me? I do not consider myself to be fit at all so I would not be doing too much to start with....

+1 although I would say I am average rather than thin. I hate my stomach :(

I'm a girl so don't begin to get me started with the complaining angle.

Captain - Start walking or something, I walked before I got into my running, because I couldn't automatically get into it, it would of been too much.

I'm a girl so don't begin to get me started with the complaining angle.

lol
    Have you been running for long? Would you mind giving me a quick summary of what you do during the week? eg. run for 1 hour 2 nights a week and do a 30 min walk 2 nights a week type thing

I just created a "General Fitness in Cork" thread where we can chat about this kind of stuff. Saves us derailing the Cork beers thread with non beers talk and also out of respect for the OP. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055498140

• Advertisement

I usually run Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I stretch before hand, think PE old school stretches, I started walking up towards Cork Con, down the Boremanor road and back up around, no longer than 20 mins to start with (early days) quickly built up to jogging/running for about 40mins to an hour each of those nights then.

Now, I do my stretches then I run up too the Silverkey, down the Well Road, length of Douglas road and back up by Bel Air then back home. When I'm in the door I jave the dumbells, doing 4 sets on each arm. 15 each time. Then I do 2 sets of squats with them and a few more stretches, perhaps a few crunches.

I don't too too much, once I find a good gym I'm sure I'll start doing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

:rolleyes:
    Without even reading the whole OT stuff (2 pages :confused:) I got the idea that none is interested in boards beers for tonite :P

I don't know if it's a mortal sin for a relative newb of the boards to do the suggesting, but how about Thursday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

CommieBaz wrote: »
    I don't know if it's a mortal sin for a relative newb of the boards to do the suggesting, but how about Thursday night?

thursday next week?

I am newbie to Cork (and almost to Ireland itself...lol), so if it's not a mortal sin for me...u are almost a saint for that ^_^
    Thursday would be ok with me but there's the boards pool going on...I was thinking about joining the pool nite to watch, mock and have a drink in the meanwhile...my question is "Is there a bar in the Mardyke?" If yes, would u fancy this solution for thursday?

towel401 wrote: »
    thursday next week?
    What about thursday this week in the Mardyke AND next week with a proper beers meeting?
    (Have a good time, Towel, I remember u are leaving tomorrow)

I am newbie to Cork (and almost to Ireland itself...lol), so if it's not a mortal sin for me...u are almost a saint for that ^_^
    Thursday would be ok with me but there's the boards pool going on...I was thinking about joining the pool nite to watch, mock and have a drink in the meanwhile...my question is "Is there a bar in the Mardyke?" If yes, would u fancy this solution for thursday?

that could work.

As the pool night is tomorrow night it sounds perfect to combine it with a beer night. The mardyke has both after all.

Noone has to play pool if they do not want to....oh and for the person that asked nothing wrong with newbies suggesting things, in fact I give a big thumbs up to it.

The people playing pool in the tournament will be there at 7 but doesn't mean everyone has to be there at 7. If anyone is needs my number send me a pm and I'll give it to you.

Sounds like we've got a plan in the making!

Newbies unite! :D

Far be it that the two have to clash, we could all go next Thursday?

• Advertisement

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Sounds like we've got a plan in the making!

Newbies unite! :D

Far be it that the two have to clash, we could all go next Thursday?

Tomorrow there will be no clash, sure the Mardyke is a bar as well as a pool hall :)

Advertisement