Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cnlr Jim Long in Limerick Leader on migrants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

is his mail realy ONE single sentence???
    Yup. Copied and pasted it as is. The spelling isn't fantastic either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That guy is missing some points. Also on his keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 han68

Thanks for posting the correspondence so far, The Saint. On the positive side: he is reading his email (well sort off...) and even answering it (again: sort off...). Bet he will blame the migrant workers for missing the . on his keyboard too :)
    I have yet to receive an answer back from Fine Gael party office in Dublin.. will keep you posted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

While it's a completely unacceptable attitude IMO, we got a lot of it, particularly from construction workers and developers, on the doorsteps before the general election. "they have the country ruined" etc.

I made my excuses and left after making the usual, "immigrants pay taxes too", "their kids are the new Irish" arguments.

He will probably gain more votes than he will lose over this Duke of Edinburgh style gaffe.

Many of the migrant workers that I have worked alongside are here for the long haul, or intend to go home and return in a number of years. For some reason, despite the crap that's slung at them, they like Ireland. The Eastern Europeans in particular make a MASSIVE effort to fit in and bring their friends who work in isolated jobs into the social circle which they become part of at work.

I suppose the attack would have nothing to do with the fact he will be facing Polish opposition from Fianna Fáil in June...but that's just the cynic in me thinking out loud.

On a side note, a primary school teacher would rip a 4th or 5th class kid apart for writing something like Cllr. Long's response. There are countless spelling and grammatical errors. Did he perhaps write it in a flurry? "Would you like fries with that"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

han68 wrote: »
    I have yet to receive an answer back from Fine Gael party office in Dublin.. will keep you posted ...

I imagine you will get a standard issue reply, putting the ball in Cllr. Long's court. We had a particular accuastion levelled at us in a student newspaper that party HQ were contacted about, they contacted us and told us to deal with it ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Saint wrote: »
    Done. I suggest others do the same.

Did you send this to the Leader, it appears that it is in their letters page, along with Councillor Long's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Did you send this to the Leader, it appears that it is in their letters page, along with Councillor Long's response.

Did they edit it to be readable? Or did they leave it the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Hey Squid,
    Yeah, I sent a copy to the leader aswell. I see you've put it up on the Limerick Blogger site too. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

At this rate he will running for a seat in Sydney town council with all the digging he is doing.

In the city edition claiming that loads of people shook his hand in apublic house over what he said. if someone in a pub shook his hand he must be right, right?

Advertisement