Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair,Replacement, Refund.

Options
  • 12-01-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi folks im new to the forum and have a question i cant seem to find an answer to?

Im not sure how to word this;

If you return faulty goods and the retailer offers a repair and you accept, Where do you stand if the repair is not acceptable and you return the goods again?

I obviously dont want to send them off for another month to be repaired seeing as repairs are not up to scratch?

Am I still entitled to a refund or replacement because the repair is not good enough?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

is this a phone?

i know that most phone shops follow a policy of 3 repairs and then replacement but as far as i can see the policy is illegal because any repair has to be permanent.

of course anything with consumer law is about what's "reasonable". i doubt you'll get any satisfaction in the shop because they deal with this every day of the week and the staff don't have the power to override the policy. if you really don't want it to go in for repair, give the head office a call and plead your case and if that doesn't work, start small claims court proceedings. it only costs €9.

assuming this is a phone, if you want it repaired faster than a month you can bring it to mprc in sandyford (www.mprc.ie) and they'll repair it in a day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 navanavan

Thank you for the quick reply,

Sorry i should have stated that they are a set of alloy wheels which I paid nearly a thousand euro for.

For that money you can understand why I don't want to accept the shabby repair job. Also the fact that i was inconvenienced by not having them for over a month, and really dont want that again for another month.

Thanks

right so. what was wrong with them and how was the repair job unacceptable?

go back into them and quote the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 and tell them that the first repair has to be acceptable and permanent and now you're entitled to a replacement or refund. i don't actually think it's as clear cut as that but you might just scare them into giving you a new set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wouldn't accept any repair work on wheels, it's a safety issue, and they should be replaced (except where damage is cosmetic).

The damage was purely cosmetic, the finish deteriorated.

The wheels have a 1 inch polished alum lip which is lacquered.

The lacquer started to peel off all 4 wheels within 8-9 weeks and the bare aluminium tarnished.

The wheels were sent to be stripped polished and re-lacqured, but the finish is terrible IMHO its clearly visible where the bare aluminium had tarnished and was rubbed down and the new coat of lacquer is uneven and no where near as clean and neat as the origional.

• Advertisement

sounds to me like now that it's tarnished it can't be repaired. one of the most important aspects of alloys is their appearance and now that aspect can't be provided by a repair so the only appropriate action is a replacement.

how does lacquer peel off after a few weeks? were you sanding it or something? since this one was so badly defective do you think a new one would be any better?

Sanding!? God no, I never use wheel cleaner either they were always sponge washed with warm water and car shampoo.

It was all 4 wheels? Thats what im unsure of should i ask for my money back before mentioning a replacement?

Or

Can i ask for replacement with a different wheel if i am refused a refund? Although i want the wheels i have hence paying that bit extra but if its happened once it could very well happen to a brand new wheel?

as i said there aren't really any hard rules in this area. generally they can give you the same one again if they want but if you have a legitimate objection and they won't budge you can have a judge in the small claims court decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

navanavan wrote: »
    The damage was purely cosmetic, the finish deteriorated.

The wheels have a 1 inch polished alum lip which is lacquered.

The lacquer started to peel off all 4 wheels within 8-9 weeks and the bare aluminium tarnished.

The wheels were sent to be stripped polished and re-lacqured, but the finish is terrible IMHO its clearly visible where the bare aluminium had tarnished and was rubbed down and the new coat of lacquer is uneven and no where near as clean and neat as the origional.

If the repair was not up to the original standard then I'd consider that unacceptable and demand a proper repair, last chance before money back. Was the aluminium polished before respraying. Sounds like they just took the wheels out the back with a sheet of 00 and a can of lacquer.

Advertisement