Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New video card for Dell Dimension E520

Options
  • 12-01-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Dimension E520, and I want to add a second monitor. I am guessing I will have to upgrade the memory card while I am at it.

Can anyone recommend a good graphics card with two DVI outputs that won't need an upgraded power supply?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the E520 has a pretty weak power supply iirc and trying to install a new power supply was a bit of a jury-rig (sp?) - I ended up using cable ties :p

Not sure what to tell you except that your options will be limited by that PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think this would be ok without a PSU upgrade?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-151-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=&name=Asus

I don't do PC games, so it is really just for getting the dual display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Or even the 512mb version?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That would be fine. The 256mb card needs a 300w supply and your PSU should supply 375W - but check the label on the PSU at the back of your computer just to be sure of that, there were one or two different PSUs on the E520s. It could probably run the 512 no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've an E520 at the moment with an 8600GT card in it and it's fine.
    Have played fallout3 with respectable resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll be grand, you'd escape with a more more powerful performance GPU then that if you even wanted to. Tip for ya though, look at getting the HD4550. Same or marginally better performance, more onboard memory, better features, same price.

Advertisement