Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treasure or junk ?

• 12-01-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Bought this today in a second hand shop for a fiver..:rolleyes:
    Would anyone know how old it is, l was thinking 80's
    3191182781_432bc77d69.jpg

3191161371_79bb90a65c.jpg

Also for fun got this tiny digital cam on a key ring for a couple of euro :D the pen is just for scale...:rolleyes:
    3191182525_c94b6f8da8.jpg

Linda

P.S. 173 viewing on Photography forum....must be a record!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Not a clue about the Nikon(canon far better :) )

But the little digicam IIRC is 0.3MP and also has a 30 seconds movie function no sound though.
    But only internal memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I think the EM was introduced around '79, great buy for a fiver! No go get some cheap film and have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Ricky91t wrote: »
    (canon far better :) )

nuh-uh! :D

Translated: (No Way!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Oh wow, lucky you! Was it an Oxfam type charity place? Pity by the time you've shot your first roll you'll have spent more than the price of the camera :(

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Treasure or junk ?

Treasure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Treasure!

Its always treasure, you'll use it.
    and love it.
    and put it on a shelf.
    and admire it.
    and the results from it.
    and forget about it.
    and it will gather dust.
    and you will find it again.
    and decide you wont use it.
    and take it back to the charity shop.
    And it will become treasure for someone else.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Lucky you, to think I spent a fiver on my lunch today.....

Edit: showed my dad it, and he said it was his first slr..... Bought it in gunns or birminghans for £189 punt. He said its still floating round the attic somewhere.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Stick some lovely B&W film in it and then come back and ask the same question. Go on, I dare ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

sineadw wrote: »
    Stick some lovely B&W film in it and then come back and ask the same question. Go on, I dare ya ;)

She wont have to ask then........ Treasure with Capital T! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Hey Linda,

If you fancy a quick 20% profit (not to be sneezed at in these difficult times) I'll give you six quid for it! :)

Seriously though, nice purchase, just make sure you run a few rolls through it to remind yourself how easy we have it now with digital!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There actually selling for upwards of 80 euro on flea bay for a good 'un

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The Nikon EM isn't a bad old camera all things considered. Here's a rundown ...

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/em/index.htm

Just has aperture priority, with no handy way of doing exposure compensation (there's a +2 stop button, and failing that you have to mess around with the ISO). No other manual except for a manual 90sec exposure (I presume regardless of your aperture) and B. I'd prefer an FE or FE2 from around the same era myself, but you can't beat €5 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Looks to be an EM model.

The Nikon EM is a beginner’s level, interchangeable lens, 35 mm film, single lens reflex (SLR) camera. It was manufactured by Nippon Kogaku K. K. (today Nikon Corporation) in Japan from 1979 to 1982 (available new from dealer stock until circa 1984). The camera was originally designed and marketed to the growing market of new women photographers then entering the SLR buyer's market.

Taken from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_EM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

was it in the charity shop in Ringsend? I'm always meaning to get in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

with the right usb cable that digi cam may work as a web cam.

sineadw wrote: »

A dare ummmmm! l just might sinead....:o

cambo_gueno It sure is, Mrs Quinns. l volunteer there every now & again. Good for the soul......& the pocket. :)

Eirebear Funny & True....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hay great purchase Linda. Don't just put it on the mantlepiece ... stick a bit of ilford into it and see what results you get. You'll enjoy the darkroom.

Will do Buzz...Messin' around with it all evening, like a new toy...:)
    lt's in pretty good condition, Happy dayz!

Thank for all the info people.

not-tagged-smiley-10104.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'd prefer an FE or FE2 from around the same era myself, but you can't beat €5 :-)

try find one of those for a 10timesf the price.... i'll give ya a tenner for it? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

While old cameras are being talked about, would current lenses like 50 mm 1.8 or even the dx lenses (18-200 vr) work with an old film body? I assume not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Check Mir.com for comparability,all usually work, tho I've only used few's and f70,f90andf100 and I think even the few's are picky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Nisio wrote: »
    While old cameras are being talked about, would current lenses like 50 mm 1.8 or even the dx lenses (18-200 vr) work with an old film body? I assume not?

An old film body should at least be able to mount everything. Which model is it ? Old manual bodies can't use G lenses correctly because there's no way to adjust the aperture. DX lenses will vignette on film bodies, but they're perfectly usable, some DX zooms be used perfectly well at the narrow end of their zoom range. If its an old AF body then it might not AF correctly with AFS lenses, I'm not too sure when those contacts went in (although my F4 has them and thats pretty old)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I started off with digital and I kinda have a hankering to try film but I've no particular camera in mind. The Nikon FM2 came out in 1982 and would be the same age as me which would be cool. It'd be handy to be able to use the lenses I have already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Well done on your purchase, great value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

See Nikons hold their value better than Canons!

I got an EOS650 to use with B&W Film. It cost me €5 less than you paid for the Nikon EM. It's from the late 80's & had probably only had a dozen films put through it.

Quite a bargain for a fiver. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Looks like you got a good deal there with the 35mm Nikon EM

had a close up look at the pictures you posted and it seem to be in good nick. have you run some film through it yet?

The only things to watch out for with a camera that old is
    - light leaks from worn down seals (can be replaced)
    - loud shutter noise from worn down dampers (can be replaced)
    - battery corrosion (just clean with cotton bud and sand paper)

There is a handy little hack if you cant fine a replacement 1/3N original battery.
    You can just use two S76 or A76's and they should work fine
    The meter circuit is rated for 3 volts and the two S76's/A76's produce 3.1 volts.

Anyway happy shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

You got yourself a great buy there - this is a good model SLR .. nikon hardly made turkeys..

like everyone says, get some film, get B&W , develop yourself, learn the anticipation of taking the roll of film outta the tank and looking at it all wet and glistening seeing what you got, then hanging it to dry while you sleep and wonder what the contact sheet will reveal.

then to the real creative part - learn where the photoshop terms dodge, burn etc came from in the darkroom... you will never look back . It is a different path than digital for me a more satisfying one.

Best of luck,

Try Neopan 400 in rodinal -- go to Gunns - for your B&W film cheapest in town.

Simplicius

Defying gravity since 1878

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

throw it in the bin
    or

keep it!!

i think keep it!!....they dont make em like that any more!!

:)

Great information there.... Thank you all,
    Eager to get some film into it now, going for black & white.
    Have a gift voucher for Birmingham's stached away since Crimbo.

cheer.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement