Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits

Options
  • 12-01-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Thinking of getting a pet rabbit for my girlfriend, however she lives in dublin and usually travels away for the weekend. is it ok to leave a rabbit on its own in the back yard with whatever food and water it needs for the few days over the weekend.

plenty of space in the enclosed back yard and can make up a shelter etc for it so the weekend thing is the only issue

help greatly appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For 24 hours can be ok provided the rabbit has plenty of food and water and bedding and a secure warm place to sleep. Anything longer than that is a big no.

Rabbits need company one of their own would be unfair on the animal esp. if the owner is gone on weekends. They should be house in pairs (bonded pairs neutered and spayed is a must).

The shelter area would need to be wired top and bottom and cat proof.
    Believe it or not birds of prey can be a danger to pet rabbits even in urban areas so it's a must the rabbit is secure.
    The rabbit can not be left in the garden to run freely unsupervised of course.

If getting a rabbit you would have to have someone you could rely on to feed and clean out the rabbit daily anyway in case you have to leave for what ever reason or are going on holidays etc. So I would not go getting a rabbit until you have someone sorted, there may be a reliable pet sitter in your area.
    But do be careful some people say they will mind a small pet but haven't a bogs notion how to look after them.

Their bedding can get soiled by leaking water bottles etc and tbh at this time of year getting a rabbit from a warm pet shop or whereever you can't put them outside until May -ish when the weather warms up.

They also need vaccinations against VHD and Myxomatosis (at two weeks apart) and you need to have an experience rabbit vet handy in case there are any problems. Only allow an experienced smallie vet deal with neutering/spaying etc.

They do make great pets but even better in bonded, neutered/spayed pairs.

But deffo. should never leave a smallie more than 24hours, rabbits and other smallies can become ill very quickly and if someone isn't there to keep an eye owners can end up a nasty suprise when they come home.

Sorry I sound negative but just want to let you know what bunnys need once their all set up they are relatively easy pets.

Check out my website link below and go to the rabbit care page for more info.

Advertisement