Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CM's DIY beauty dish

• 12-01-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

2009 - My year of taking up strobist-ism :D

Figured I'd make a beauty dish as one of the many DIY items I'll be making.

Quick trip to woodies payed off, as I found something perfect to make it from, and got a few other tools needed :D

3191242199_772924cc93.jpg

So then, onto the actual progress/making so far.

I started off by painting the inside of the pot thingy white, this will reflect light (hopefully) and possibly diffuse it too.

Here it is drying off:
    3192081858_753fc22536.jpg

and then proceeded to paint the outside black, so that it doesn't look like a plant pot, rather a piece of photographic equipment :D

Again, drying off:

3192052198_dedee0bd5a.jpg

At the moment, It's in the garage for another while, I want to make sure it's fully dry before doing any more. I'll update with more pics whenever there's more progress :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Good idea.....

... and here's something that was recommended to me today

Product_detail_Wk03T2.jpg

In Aldi this Thursday for €29.99, Lidl have a similar offer too this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

soccerc wrote: »
    Good idea.....

... and here's something that was recommended to me today

In Aldi this Thursday for €29.99, Lidl have a similar offer too this week

Oooh, Thank you very much kind sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I saw one somewhere with a plate microwave lid/top. Looks like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

A mate of mine transformed the top of a bbq and it works a friggin treat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Great spraying ;)

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Great spraying ;)

I never claimed to be a painter! The mother is the artist, not me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

What exactly are you going to use this for CM?

stabo wrote: »
    What exactly are you going to use this for CM?

Beauty dish for a flashgun - off camera lighting - strobist... yadda yadda.. you get the deal :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

molc made one also... on the uber cheap... he might share it for all, some nice shots on his flickr taken with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Thats cool, I've been meaning to do this for a while. Post shots when you're done + rest of construction pics :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

And are you going to fire the flash into the baking pot or from the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ThOnda wrote: »
    And are you going to fire the flash into the baking pot or from the middle?

I think typically with a beauty dish you fire it through the middle, but there's a deflector of some description right in front of the flash which bounces the light onto the dish. See here for examples ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I think this was posted before but it's another way of making one. http://www.diyphotography.net/studio-lighting-flash-mounted-homemade-diy-beauty-dish

And another one from the same website http://www.diyphotography.net/just-fab-s-turkey-pan-beauty-dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

bovril wrote: »
    I think this was posted before but it's another way of making one. http://www.diyphotography.net/studio-lighting-flash-mounted-homemade-diy-beauty-dish

I think thats the one that I saw previously. Note the shadow that it throws presumably because you are throwing the light directly at the subject. Me (who hasn't yet become too comfortable with controlling shadow) would need to take this carefully alright.

Not sure about the baking tin one - seems more appropriate to a roast chicken than photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

I've never been one for flash use in beauty lights I simply love hot lights and have made up a few in the past.

The advantage would be you can compose the shot just like a studio modelling light while retaining the whole beauty light effect.

I bought a few "PAR-64 NSP 500w" bulbs and mounted each of them in foil beauty light shells.

The design was much the same as this one but with foil as the bulbs get quite hot.
    2433471676_443a6bafb7_b.jpg
    Cost about 15Euro for each unit.

Took them apart on my last apartment move and packed the bulbs away.

Advertisement