Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Heavy Metal

• 12-01-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I've been meaning to create this thread for some time. A celebration of classic Heavy Metal, a discussion about it's origins, a recognition of it's progenitors, and altogether an opportunity to post some videos and listen to some stuff that just doesn't seem to get posted that often around here.

Right now I'm listening to Cream, who were undoubtedly an early influence:

Another band that I think were massive pioneers, yet most people don't really know about them, is High Tide. If you ever get a chance, pick up their album Sea Shanties, it's pure quality, and absolutely awe-inspiringly heavy for it's time. This is the instrumental Death Warmed Up, amazing to think that it was recorded in 1969:

I have to think would Heavy Metal be the same today without Queen? Just listen to the song Stone Cold Crazy, the original Thrash Metal song, wasn't it? Or for that matter, listen to Immigrant Song, it was the first Viking Metal metal song wasn't it?

One band who's influence is absolutely undeniable is Kiss. We wouldn't have bands like Megadeth if it wasn't for these guys, that's for sure:

Here's Merciful Fate, enough said:

This is Samson, which was Bruce Dickinson's band pre-Iron Maiden:

Now, your turn!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*rubs hands* :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Proof that Switzerland weren't all about Cuckoo Clocks and Toblerones.

I give you Tom Warrior and Celtic Frost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dimebag says if there was no Ace Freeley there would be no Dimebag Darrell,. FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

It has been well documented in Kiss biographies and interviews that when Kiss formed, the idea was that "if one Alice Cooper worked, four Alice Cooper's would work as well".

I give you Mr Vincent Furnier aka Alice Cooper.

An undeniable influence on so many from Kiss to Manson to Lordi,the master of the theatrical stage show.

Here is Black Juju from 1971

Nea wrote: »
    An undeniable influence on so many from Kiss to Manson to Lordi,the master of the theatrical stage show.

Karl, can we get this guy banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

early-ish English metal proponents Saxon

Not that I need to justify

Taken from Metalstorm for a review for Deadache.
    http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=6079
    “Haaa… Lordi, the monsters, Eurovision and the big debate between the Metal fans who are proud of their victory at this mega kitsch show but who are still not able to listen to their music and the ones who like and respect them…”

I personally have started listening to Lordi as there is an up and coming gig in the Button Factory. I for one like to support gigs hosted by DME who I think do a fine job of getting the smaller metal bands over to our shores. I have been impressed by Lordi to an extent I have recommended the new album to all my buddies.

As a massive Alice Cooper fan I can hear the influence of the coop all over their albums and therefore enjoy them so much. Wasn’t this the point of the thread, classic metal and how/who it influenced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Surprised no one has mentioned Black Widow, one of the founders of metal.
    Savage stuff altogether and extremely underrated.

Léan wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Black Widow, one of the founders of metal.

Come to the Sabbat is deadly,I only heard it a few weeks back when someone posted it. Must get some of their stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Karl, can we get this guy banned?

How about no? I don't want to see anyone call for someone to be banned over their taste of music, or it's a paddlin'. That clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

How about no? I don't want to see anyone call for someone to be banned over their taste of music, or it's a paddlin'. That clear?

Plus, Lordi are awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Plus, Lordi are awesome :D

That they are, and you know who else are awesome? Motorhead:

Yikes!!!

Has someone outlawed jokes and forgot to mention it publicly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

You can't talk about the origins of Metal without mentioning I Ron Butterfly

and you gotta love the Floyds most metalesque dalliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Must check out that Black Widow... Anyway.

From one of my favourite albums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

James Gang, before Joe Walsh sold out! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Advertisement