Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying To Oz via United States and worried about U.S.Customs

Options
  • 12-01-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm travelling from Heathrow to Sydney with a flight change in San Fran. I have a six hour wait in San Fran before i travel on to Oz. Do i still have to apply for this new Visa requirement for the U.S. which came in to force today the 12th january. I don't intend on leaving the airport. I persume I will be allowed wait in the departure area for my Sydney flight without the usual questions from the U.S. Customs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I wouldn't have thought so. It is only a stopover after all. You are not actually visiting the country.

Have you got a link to the new visa requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

I'd call the US embassy to have things clarified... friend of mine had a nasty time in the US a few years ago, even though she had a connecting flight a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Had a look at http://dublin.usembassy.gov/index.html and am more confused than ever .

They best thing you can do is ring the Embassy and ask them there . I know that the US have shifted all there board and customs checks onto the countried of origin .

Which means they want all the checking done here before you leave at all rather than waiting till you get to the USA .

So even if you are a transit passenger and never leave the arrivals in the US they may still want a visa from you .

As i say best to ring and check with the guys that are in the know in Embassy

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭RandomPunter82

I rang the Embassy and was told to still apply for an ESTA online even though i will be getting a connecting flight on to the Sydney. I will have a response to my application within 72 hours.

Where you are asked to give the U.S. address that you will be staying - you are to put in '' In Transit, Final Destination - Sydney, Australia''

I can imagine there are numerous people in Ireland not even aware of the new Visa requirements for the States, Lucky i heard it on the news!!

Advertisement