Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broken?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I was on the net yesterday using my laptop when all of a sudden i lost the connection to the WiFi network. The router is still working as i can connect to it (both wired and wireless) using other devices.

When i try scan for networks now none come up at all. I have tried it in other locations too but with no luck.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem or is it that the WiFi reciever is broken and needs to be replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

are you sure you haven't turned off the radio either by a slide switch on the sides/front of the laptop or a FN + F2 etc key (usually has an antenna symbol on it) combination ?. Is the wireless LED lit if there is one ?. these are the usual culprits..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,117 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

that was happening to me over christmas too, just kept on dropping off but since the lights and everything have come down its been fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Wireless is definatly turned on and all my lights and stuff are down now too so its not that either. I can still use a wired connection if that helps narrow down the problem :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cooperguy wrote: »
    Wireless is definatly turned on and all my lights and stuff are down now too so its not that either. I can still use a wired connection if that helps narrow down the problem :confused:

What's showing up in the Device manager for the wireless card? (under system in the control panel)

Also try turning off your firewall (particularly if its zone alarm as I know several people who had problems lately because of it)

Under device manager it says that "this device is working properly". I assume I am looking at the right thing its the "Intell PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cooperguy wrote: »
    Under device manager it says that "this device is working properly". I assume I am looking at the right thing its the "Intell PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection"

Have you been messing around with any of your settings? You could try checking on the laptop manufacturer's website and see if there is an up to date diriver on the off chance that an effective reinstall of the card might kick it back into action.

I didnt change any settings. It just suddenly cut out in the middle of me browsing. I also couldnt find any updates.

Advertisement