Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband and Philips 802.11g ADSL router

Options
  • 12-01-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi. First of all I'm completely technically stupid, so basics are essential here! :o

We have NTL broadband in our apartment, but not wireless. I bought a router today, Philips 802.11g ADSL. It asks to plug into a phone connection, obviously our internet comes from the cable box. Is there any way to make this work or do I need to bring this back to the shop (where by the way I asked if it would work and they said yes)?

Apologies if I'm missing essential pieces of info here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

You need to bring it back, its only good for ADSL. You need a wireless router that suitable for cable broadband Such as Linksys WRT54G

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ditto on the wrt54g, it's what they call a 'broadband router' and can be used for both cable and dsl type broadband connections as long as you have a separate modem from your internet provider to plug into it.

that way, even if you change from a DSL based broadband like eircom to a Cable one like NTL you can keep your decent router and just use the ISP's (normally free) modem.

Advertisement