Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long does it take to learn to drive?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey guys I'm a newbie to the driving yoke. Was wondering, roughly how long does it take to learn how to drive. As in, how long would it take an absolute novice to learn how to get from A to B? A month? I'm not talking perfect driver just propelling the car forward without crashing! Any takers...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It really, really depends on the person. Some may pick it up like that in their first lesson and be flying it, others may struggle, others may have a nice steady learning pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well first off, just to explain about licensing etc.
    You must first pass a theory test and apply for a learner permit in the relevant category. Once you receive your permit, you must have held it at least 6 months on the day of your test. That is to say you can apply whenever you like, but you can only sit the test when you have held your permit for at least 6 months.
    Now, it should be noted that you never stop learning, having an attitude to driving whereby you believe passing a test is the end of learning is simply not true. I've been driving only a few years and learn something new, or improve on something almost every time i sit in my car.
    Now, someone could learn how to propel a car forward and backward in an hour or so, it'd most likely be messy, and not in any way "smooth" but i'd imagine it's doable in a car. But taking a drive on a public/main road is a whole other ball game. There is no "after 1 week you will be able to do *such and such*", this will depend on, you, you're instructor, willingness to learn etc.
    The best advice would be to obtain a learner permit as outlined above and get lessons with a qualified driving instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

As challengemaster said, it really depends on the person.

I learned in little baby steps to begin with and was moving around after a cumulative time of about four hours learning. The majority of the first four hours worth of leaning was spent cutting out the engine or getting it to move forward a little before then cutting it out.

However, everyone's different. I have a friend who was told what to do in theory and was able to get it after about half an hour or so.

The licensing stuff is very important too and I'd recommend that maybe you take driving lessons from an instructor, they tend not to get overly excited/frustrated with engine cut-outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Got the licence, provisional for five months so far but have yet to make a move on the driving front. Really need to get a move on, it's my new year's resolution. Thanks for replies so far though, anybody else got their 2c? And thanks esp to Alainstrainor, I've bn reading this thread for a while, your advice is great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

how long is a piece of string?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I kept a record of my learning to drive.

I passed the test exactly 6 months after I drove for the first time. I took about 10 lessons in that period but I would have drove every day during that time aswell........mainly in built up areas.

It really depends how quickly you pick it up.

My advice is to take your time and remember to put safety as your main priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

It depends OP, on alot of things really.

It takes some people a week, mostly men in my opinion. But I was driving every second night for 2 months, including 10 lessons, before I went anywhere on my own. My first drive was just from the OHs house home, a 2 minute drive, and he was in front of me the whole time. I was a nervous wreck.

I didn't know what the pedals in a car were for when I began driving, and believe it or not, I wasn't even aware of what side of the road we drive on!! And I had done the theory test and all at this stage!!

I was a real beginner. The difference in my opinion between men and women learners is that men have a born general interest in cars, whereas women see them as a method of going from a to b only. Before I drove, when I was getting a lift anywhere, I got in the back and listened to the radio/read a book. However the OH, before he drove he would be up front with his dad, watching him. He had a head start on me therefore.

It depends on your confidence(or stupidity in this example) too!! My sister knew how to drive, but couldnt gear down properly.....so she just didnt!! How she knew when to stop reversing out of places was when she hit the wall. I wouldn't have been confident enough to go out on my own until I knew I was ready. For other road user's sake as well as my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Yes everyone is different. A couple of ears ago I taught a girl who had never sat behind the wheel of a car before she literally didn't know where anything was. She took 10 lessons, 5 the first week during her lunch break and 5 the following week. By the Tuesday of the 2nd week shewas driving 5 miles to and from work. I'd have to say she was an exception, but I'd strongly advise you to take lessons with an instructor. For most people 10 lessons should get you up and running, but it could be a few more depending on how you progress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

You never stop learning to drive, your always learning

passing the test is only the start and gives you permission to drive by yourself on the road, without an expirienced driver, but you shold always be learning and advancing your knowledge onto advance driving etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

It depends on a lot, theres no way you can say in X months you'll be a perfect driver.

It all depends on your spatial awareness, confidence and just your general ability to just "get it".

I think some people just get it straight away and have no problems, it just comes naturally to them,others such as myself don't take to it as easily. I found it very difficult to begin with and only went in the dual control car. It took me a while until i was driving the car I'm insured on, even longer again till i thought myself good enough to do some city driving.

I started lessons a year ago this week, did my test back in October-failed but not by much (a silly stupid mistake) so was happy with my effort. Have the test again in a few days and much more confident this time- but as they say you never ever stop learning and its experience that'll make you a better driver.

So in essence what I'm saying is it took me a year (but that would be on the long end of the scale),so be prepared to be patient with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

I never drove before i done my full driving test. Just got about 6 lessons and i passed first time after. Everyone is different. And as other posters have said-> You never stop learning!.

I see what you're saying donegalfella, in that yes if you have an interest in cars and doing it as something you enjoy then yes you will clock up more hours quicker than someone who HAS TO learn to drive for whatever reason.

But I genuinely do believe that some people (mostly guys but girls too) just have a much better perception and awareness of the car and are more practical minded so they can handle gears etc more efficiently earlier on plus many younger guys would have more nerve just to get driving on the road as quickly as possible. Personally this took me a while to build up to.

Yes donegalfella - this is my point exactly.

I am just making KathleenF aware of the fact that it can take longer than one would think......I had it in my head that I would be buying a car and motoring about town in a matter of a couple of months, this is what I thought before I ever even had a lesson. How wrong was I!

Its important for people to realise that the process takes time and by progressing into real driving outside a dual control car that you are not only risking your own life but the lives of others on the road.

And as you say patience, practice and dedication has won out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A better question might be how long does it take to get to test standard. Maybe within 20 lessons if you push yourself, 6 months if you take it handy. But then, it will vary from person to person.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Thanks for the replies guys. Am thinking about 2 months at least, have booked lessons on internet with ISM but they didn't get back to me yet. Will keep ye updated on how I do. And for those of you who talked about driving being a lifelong process, I completely agree, and I can definitely see myself doing advanced driving courses. Once I pick up the normal driving that is!!

Thanks again, some v varied and interesting replies! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement