Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus and off topic...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

kateos2 wrote: »
    i really don't see why it's such a big problem.
    if i see a thread about matches, which i simply don't have an interest in, I don't go into them. I might go in and see what it is if the thread title isn't obvious but if I see a thread going off topic I don't go in to complain at everyone in there. It's just one thread, there's plenty more for me to read.

Oh ok then, sorry to have wasted your time!

Best of luck with the exams guys - just take it easy and don't get too stressed.

Don't worry about recent events either, it will all be factored into the marking at the end of the day.

NOW GET OFF BOARDS!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Ok Dodgykeeper I'm speaking for myself here not the other mods & I assume they would take the same approach as me. A few of the regular photog posters are doing there LC and would like to wish each other luck. I don't have a problem with it I'm sure someone would have started the thread to wish them luck. If they're stressed about some idiot up the country and want to vent taking the thread slightly OT then let them.

give it a day or two and let the thread fade away... and a warning to anyone else if you have a problem with a post report it.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Good luck all! Oh I remember how scared to crap I was..

They have a paper on Cartier Bresson now?? Lucky sods.. ;)

If it makes you all feel any better though - I dropped out of university in 94 (just before my BA finals). Never finished. I'm going into third year of an hons degree in photography and multimedia now. LC is important - don't get me wrong - but you'll have *plenty* of other chances to prove yourself! Its *not* the be all and end all they make it out to be!

Fingers crossed for all... :)

Oh and dodgy - cop on to yourself - you don't remember how big a deal it was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

What worries me is how those good for nothing, layabout, hooligans of young people are going to get their asses out of bed on a Saturday morning. FFS, Has the Department any cop at all? :D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

sineadw wrote: »
    Oh and dodgy - cop on to yourself - you don't remember how big a deal it was?

i do remember how big a deal it was, my point is there is a leaving cert forum, there is an off topic thread post there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that the OOF thread is the correct place for this.

I will merge it soon.

... and they're members of our community. And I'm not of the habit of visiting the LC board, so I'd never know how they're getting on. So it's nice to know how my friends are...

Oh and just for the record - I just literally this minute got my results from college for the last two years - 15 distinctions and one merit - so 3rd year of an Hons degree in Photography and Multimedia here I come! :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well Done Sinead!!

party0003.gif

Also ..... Good Luck to all those doing the LC.

• Advertisement

Good luck to all those doing the Leaving Cert, Local Elections, Lions Tour and most important good luck to Ireland in the 20/20 World Cup! Blarney Army!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Good luck to all those doing the Leaving Cert, Local Elections, Lions Tour and most important good luck to Ireland in the 20/20 World Cup! Blarney Army!

If you really have so much against this thread maybe you should, you know, not view it?

Maybe 'focus' your attention elsewhere....

Best of luck LC Photographers, I feel so sorry for you guys about the Saturday thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Jeez, I think some people are OTT about the OOC for the LC :D

Again, best of luck to all ye young'uns! Hope the Saturday exam for English 2 doesn't upset you too much.

I've only got 6 years before my wee one does hers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah here, I fall asleep for a few hours and this place goes to hell again. What's all the fupping arguements about now?!

There was a thread, created in the photography forum, to wish PHOTOGRAPHERS doing the leaving cert this year the best of luck during the exams.

<<Snip>> There's a problem with being nice to people now?

And why was this merged into the off topic thread? It may not be about photography, but it's about some photographers in the forum. <<Snip>>, <<Snip>>. Why, just, why would after 2 or more mods seeing the thread already, posting in it, and having no problems what so ever with it being there, decide that its not appropriate and move it into here?

facepalm.jpg

<tidy up snip....>

If you have a problem with it, then report the post.

There were reports & suggestions that this be moved here. I agreed that this is the appropriate place for it & moved it. Simple as that.

The original thread had served a purpose & was left in the main forum for a time to be visible. There is a redirect left there if anyone is missing it.

This is one of those situations where there will be flak either way, so I did what I felt was correct for the Forum as whole & have tried to steer the middle course.

fighting0061.gif

I believe my Swastika Arm Band will be delivered soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

<tidy snip...>

+1. We were all happy (even the mods) until some nay-sayers appeared :mad:

Even Jean-Luc thinks its absurd......

facepalm.jpg

If the personal abuse continues there will be people taking a break away.

Please guys .... take this to PM.

DO NOT get into a slangiong match here OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Hey Challenge, are you going to answer my question?

Baiting other users will also not be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ah, settle folks would ye.

Personally speaking here - after a night of long knives way back when the f*** ever, the moderation of the forum were being requested to allow a little latitude. That's what we have been doing since. Broadly things run well. We've a user of the forum that has an issue with a thread on the main forum. Without running around to gather a coalition it does appear to be an isolated difficulty with the nature of the posts.

Technically, they probably are correct, but I thought the latitude that was being sought was usefully and appropriately being applied in the earlier case. :confused:

How and ever, yes it's off topic in a strictly technical interpretation of what we all arrive here to discuss.

Yes, if we had a half dozen of our members playing for the lions I think we would have been happy to facilitate a "Lions good luck" thread.

I don't think anyone would want us to go back to a situation of absolutely no latitude as was suggested was the case way back when.

Anyway, to reiterate my personal thoughts to you LC guys and gals whether on or off topic;

Good luck to all you awesome photographers undertaking the leaving certificate - Ye're all flippin great. Simple as that.

Also have to give a big round of applause to Sinead <<Insert lpearse smiley at this point>> that is so brilliant - way to go you!!!! Now do what the LC students do when they get their results - lashings of drink and lots of regrets tomorrow :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would want us to go back to a situation of absolutely no latitude as was suggested was the case way back when.

Looks like it already happened just to facilitate one members dislike of the fact people are nice and un-like robots from time to time around here. The huge amount of photographers who don't use this site due to the amount of keyboard warriors around is....well just a reflection of what way it is tbh.

Actually, just like to say thanks to AnCatDubh for being the only mod to allow some freedom around here.

Remember to breath - try this with me, come on everyone - breath in, slowly, through the nose, hold-it hold-it, and out, slowly, through the mouth :)

Hey lads all I did was suggest a thread was off topic, a mod agreed and moved it, why the hassle?

Hey lads all I did was suggest a thread was off topic, a mod agreed and moved it, why the hassle?

I'm sure some of our excellent, LC english, photographers could explain how tone and animosity can always be interpreted, sometimes wrongely, from the written word! :confused:

In fact, that danger exists everyday for most business people as well.

Best advice, after 20 years of experience?

Remember to breath ......... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Lads...
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Please guys .... take this to PM.

DO NOT get into a slangiong match here OK?
    CabanSail wrote: »
    If the personal abuse continues there will be people taking a break away.
    trishw78 wrote: »
    Baiting other users will also not be tolerated

Just drop it, not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Calm down CM - If Dodgykeeper thinks something was OT (which it kinda was) and wanted the enforcement of the rules then there's no need for all this aggro.

I agree with mrmac the most - count to 10, take deep breaths and chill people. Now's not the time to be worrying about all this pish posh :)

Back to all our LC photography members.

Even if the "poop hits the fan" and everything goes "mamaries skyward", remember it's not the end of the world! Just remember another great photographer ...

ANSEL ADAMS, Photographer

"Adams... may have been hyperactive or dyslexic when he was young, and
    did not do well in school. He was essentially self-taught, and his
    formal education ended with the equivalent of eighth grade."

If you don't know who this guy is, you should find out!

It'll all be over soon - and that's when you can get on with LIVING the rest of your life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

1A94C5A8F03A4571B616A9C920145342-240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Couple of great shots in this weeks Big Shots.

I was back shooting sports for the first time last week, sumo and some kitesurfing, paddling and sea kayaking. It was fun.

Also this guy from Magnum has a live chat starting in 15 minutes. Paul Fusco. Might be worth a look.

Also, out of interest, are there people here who do not know who Ansel Adams is?

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Also, out of interest, are there people here who do not know who Ansel Adams is?

Was he the son of Grizzly Adams? :confused::D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement