Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneer won't phone me?!

Options
  • 12-01-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Interested in a house...made offer....auctioneer wont return my calls to tell me the story...why? Very fkukin annoyin, wouldnt mind if she'd ring me and give me positive/negative,common courtest....bit annoyed. This common?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I emailed an auctioneer before Christmas enquiring about a viewing. Never heard a thing. I say feck 'em. If they can't be bothered, then I'll just wait till the prices go down further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I had trouble with an auctionerrr last year, I got the number of the vendor and informed them of their agents antics.

I caused mayhem...........maybe you should do the same?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You are not alone with this problem.

If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it's not), 2009 and 2010 will really put these guys to the sword, and the decent operators will be the only ones left once the carnage dissipates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I had trouble with an auctionerrr last year, I got the number of the vendor and informed them of their agents antics.

Much as I hate to say it- this might be the only course of action that is guaranteed to any response.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

These things happen. Don't take it personal.
    Just ring her and tell her you are disappointed you haven't heard anything and to give you the vendors contact details if they aren't interested in dealing with you.

No point in losing in the rag if you want to do business with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Estate agents are generally useless - go to the developer or the owner of the house and sort it out from there. Write down everything - when you made the call, who you talked to and hand it over so that when the owner sells the house to you that they can show the estate agent why they are not getting their fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

We did this when buying our house last year - worked a treat. We just called by the house one evening & the vendor even mentioned she had been trying to get contact details for us due to the agents carry on!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Karlrove wrote: »
    Interested in a house...made offer....auctioneer wont return my calls to tell me the story...why? Very fkukin annoyin, wouldnt mind if she'd ring me and give me positive/negative,common courtest....bit annoyed. This common?

Post your offer through the door of the house that you made the offer on with your number on it.

See does the seller do anything about it.

RIRI wrote: »
    We did this when buying our house last year - worked a treat. We just called by the house one evening & the vendor even mentioned she had been trying to get contact details for us due to the agents carry on!

Best of luck

This is the way to go. Agents in my experience are useless, talentless muppets. They never really had to sell over the last number of years......just order taking and now when they really need to sell, they can't even return phone calls.:rolleyes:
    Its an unregulated industry also with all sorts of muppets setting up to be an agent in the past. Some/most has gone to the wall, more to follow.
    I had a guy selling a house for me - the agent i gave my house sale to was what i thought was professional, slick and attentive.
    But then he sent a muppet in the office to handle viewings. He showed up late, reeking of cigerette smoke and deshevelled to my prospective clients. I was @ the house for this viewing. Before he commenced the viewing i took him round the back of the house for a word and tore strips outta him.
    I then took the house sale of them.........

Agents = Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I often found women wouldn't phone me back :confused:
    Can't remember if any were auctioneers, one was definetly a lawyer :mad:

Anyway back to topic...
    Use the direct approach.
    I can't see someone that is serious about selling turning down interest in this market. They may not like your offer but at least they need to find out about it.

Of course the seller may be a tyre kicker in which case they are holding out for the "upturn" and their house is "still" worth what it was 2 years ago :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Agent is probably holding on for a preferred buyer (i.e. one who is selling their house through the same agent).

Pop a letter in the door with the dates and times you called the agent, and your phone number. Let the mayhem ensue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Same sort of thing happening with letting agents at the moment which is shocking the way things are these days. They just dont think they need to call you back even though their property has been on the market for ages! And God forbid you would request a rent reduction or the possibility of one, well you might as well be talking to the wall. There's still such arrogance out there still and people think they just don't need to try.

I think it'd be good to name and shame all SH1TE estate agents - like ratemyestateagentinireland.com or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Think we might be jumping to conclusions here.... we don't know what the house asking price was, what the price offered was... the manner in which the offer was made. It's possible that the auctioneer decided it wasn't a serious offer. I see a lot of people on here, saying offer 30% of asking. In reality, if you do this, the auctioneer will think you're just a messer. Considering the "Very fkukin annoyin" comment I also wonder about the OPs demeanor, could this be why the auctioneer mysteriously failed to show interest in an offer? In a historically slack market it would be surprising if they thought the offer was in any way credible, that they wouldn't follow up.

Lots of unknowns

nope, regardless of the "unknowns", its common courtesy to call someone back - infact in a agents case, its their job.

nope, regardless of the "unknowns", its common courtesy to call someone back - infact in a agents case, its their job.
    So if the house had a price of 300,000 and the OP called to say I'll offer you 5 Euro, you think he should call them back?

Now you're just being silly.
    But, if someone did make a below par offer (and not one of your silly scenarios)they should through courtesy, call the person back and say that their offer is not a serious one and only serious ones will be entertained going forwards. It's all about courtesy and commonsense and professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

There are three sides to every story but as someone trying to sell their house at the moment I would be furious if my agent did not respond to queries of interest, appointment requests or indeed an offer for sale.

I would also be furious if the agent didnt inform me of any updates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Maybe the EA has been let go........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Same thing is happening to me. Rang up about an apartments that I heard are going cheap. Have phoned about 10 times and gone into the office twice. Everytime they just brush me off and the usual the person dealing with that is out of the office, he'll call you back. Have a feeling the developer is in trouble and wont be able to finish the development. Or they have sold the first few for a high price and will only tell people, they know what the newer lower price is. Maybe they want the developer to go bankrupt so they can pick the apartment up cheap themselves? Cant understand it myself but there is definately something fishy going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Now DNY, thats abit unfair. The current realistic market is 30% on houses that were way overpriced to begin with due to EAs.
    I may put an offer on a house that needs to be gutted, and the price hasn't changed since JUNE 08. It would be a serious offer to me, but it will be well below the asking price due to the severe change in market, and the work it needs. I can assure you that EAs can't be messing people around in times like this.
    I would put an offer through the door now except the house is empty, but if I have to, believe me if I feel the EA isn't passing my offer on, I'll be knocking on the neighbours door looking for a contact. The seller has ever right to turn down my offer, but the EA is legally entitled to pass on any offers
    I sent the EA a list of questions on this house, and not even an email to say, don't know some of these answers but I'll get back to you.
    No time for them whatsoever. They will lie through their teeth, and have had it way too easy the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Agents = Useless.

agreed - I bought a house in November, but by christ in the months before hand, when I sold my own house & was looking at other ones, the non stop ignorance, stupidity & downright moronic behaviour of most of the agents was insane. That being said the auctioneer for the house I bought was literally amazing, she was the nicest person & I met a few other fairly down to earth sound agents as well.. but the split was 85% douchebags 15% sound.

My sister was left waiting for 35/40 mins one day & had to ring the agent repeatedly before someone showed up to show her a place she was looking at, and boy am I tempted to name the agents in quesion. She lost the rag and gave out stink to the guy in question and he "banned" her from viewing properties under his "control". I have been so annoyed by this that I am in the process of typing up a complaint letter, outlining his constant behaviour & dropping it in to ANY house in the area he covers that has a "for sale" sign with his logo on it. Hopefully it will put the ignorant cnut out of business. hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

They could be doing you a favour. The knife still hasn't hit the ground and is gathering momentum. Just look at Irish banks today, things are starting to unravel on the green isle.

Please excuse my ignorance. The house I MAY bid on is vacant, or I would put a note through the door.

Where would I get the vendors number? Does the EA have to give it if I request it?

If I can't find it, I guess I will knock on the neighbours door and see if they know

Thanks

I guess the reason people employ an estate agent is to handle the sale of their house. Do you think they will want you to contact them directly? If they wanted that, why wouldn't the have saved themselves the fee of the estate agents and used something like youbuyfromme.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

dny123456 wrote: »
    I guess the reason people employ an estate agent is to handle the sale of their house. Do you think they will want you to contact them directly? If they wanted that, why wouldn't the have saved themselves the fee of the estate agents and used something like youbuyfromme.ie

Of course that's the reason, but if the Estate Agent ISNT DOING THEIR JOB then the seller of course would probably like to know that as well, considering how bad the housing market is; and the seller wouldn't know if someone didn't tell them, now would they? and I can't see the estate agent giving them a ring and going "yeah I don't call back anyone who has made an offer". god almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I could not get the estate agent to return calls or talk to me so I met the seller by accident and said that if he was not interested in selling he should have said so and I would look elsewhere. He said that the estate agent did not tell him he had any offers. So we sat down and worked a price suitable to both of us and he then said to the estate agent the house was no longer for sale and saved himself a bundle. I was happy that the bugger got his cumuppence. Common courtesy to return calls. Perhaps they think if they show indifference you will up your offer or show them you really really really want the house so they can then sew it into you. The thing is this happened in 2000 and not lately.
    I am convinced the house prices are what they were because of the auctioneers and estate agents, f*uck them.
    Tom.

jim o doom wrote: »
    god almighty.
    Indeed... *backs away from the keyboard*. If I was selling my house, I'd love to hear from someone like you.

enfield wrote: »
    I could not get the estate agent to return calls or talk to me so I met the seller by accident and said that if he was not interested in selling he should have said so and I would look elsewhere. He said that the estate agent did not tell him he had any offers. So we sat down and worked a price suitable to both of us and he then said to the estate agent the house was no longer for sale and saved himself a bundle. I was happy that the bugger got his cumuppence. Common courtesy to return calls. Perhaps they think if they show indifference you will up your offer or show them you really really really want the house so they can then sew it into you. The thing is this happened in 2000 and not lately.
    I am convinced the house prices are what they were because of the auctioneers and estate agents, f*uck them.
    Tom.

You were lucky Tom. Did you pay him a deposit, or only transfer the monies when the keys were handed over?

• Advertisement

Thanks Jim O Doom. That was exactly my point. If the EA won't return calls, how do you know the offer has been passed on? Sellers probably aren't been told either
    How do I contact the seller directly besides hounding a neighbour?

Fair play to enfield post who bumped into the seller. Great to hear that it worked for you, although, you were lucky too. If I was a seller, I truly would love to hear from someone like yourself.

Any idea how low too go in Malahide?

Thanks

Advertisement