Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo: FIFA World Player of the Year 2008

• 12-01-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Just been announced at the ceremony.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He deserved it. Well done C. Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

deise59 wrote: »
    Just been announced at the ceremony.

well done Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I have a question, is Messi's form from the past few months irrelevant when deciding this years winner?

Well done to Cristiano, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have a question, is Messi's form from the past few months irrelevant when deciding this years winner?

Well done to Cristiano, though.

Votes are made in November I believe

Well deserved from Ronaldo, was easily the best player of 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes.

Ronaldo was the stand out player this year.

No doubt at all.

None.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Well deserved he was absolutely outstanding last year.

By this year I meant 2009, btw...

By this year I meant 2009, btw...

I know.

He won his domestic title, scored a goal in the final to help his team to win the European Cup and also won the FIFA World Club Cup.

He is, without doubt, the standout player in 2009

Des wrote: »
    I know.

He won his domestic title, scored a goal in the final to help his team to win the European Cup and also won the FIFA World Club Cup.

He is, without doubt, the standout player in 2008

Oh right fair enough sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Viva Ronaldo! Phenomenal season from him last time out, very much deserved the nod for this.

Can't help but feel that it seems almost a foregone conclusion that Lionel Messi will win it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Fair play to him, fully deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

He's not having a bad season this year, but it just seems woeful compared to his form last year. Thats what happens when you set such high standards for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

The Sky commentators made a (rare) good point yesterday saying that the little things that were coming off for him last year just seem a little off this time around.

Would have been phenomenal to keep that form going for a third season and the injury didnt help obviously. Great achievement though and thoroughly deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

mike65 wrote: »
    Meh

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

...the award was presented to ronaldo by ...eamonn dunphy :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well he was easily the best player on the planet that i saw last season although next year I think he will be on that platform again as a runner up watching Lionel Messi pick up the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Happy for him and United.

Viva Ronaldo !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Ronaldo fully deserves it, he was outstanding last year no doubt. Wish he was humble about it, the fact that he has always thought he was the best player annoys me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Big shock!......but anyway yeah he deserved it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well done to him. Fully deserved.

Waiting for someone to lay the bait in this thread though tbh.

ronalddoaward_1770602.jpg
    another paper weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

READ THE RULES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont see why this isnt done in the summer and on a season basis. Ronaldo was the best player last season, but since the summer hasnt been near that form, that time included a lay off with injury, so in essence he was the best playe rof the first half of 2008.

Would make much more sense to be a WPOTY 2008 and given in at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stekelly wrote: »
    I dont see why this isnt done in the summer and on a season basis. Ronaldo was the best player last season, but since the summer hasnt been near that form, that time included a lay off with injury, so in essence he was the best playe rof the first half of 2008.

Would make much more sense to be a WPOTY 2008 and given in at the end of last season.

Well obviously Messi has been the man so far this season, but when you take in account that January to May is when the big prizes are won, Ronaldo can be seen as still the best player of 2008 overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unearthly wrote: »
    Well obviously Messi has been the man so far this season, but when you take in account that January to May is when the big prizes are won, Ronaldo can be seen as still the best player of 2008 overall

That just highlights the issue. Play well (and win stuff) for 5 months and thats what wins it. Ronaldo has had an 18 month or more run of form, but the reality is, he could have turned up for 5 months and won it anyway. I cant see a reason for it not to be done per season.

If it's purely 2008 then as you said, Ronaldo was best for the first half a and messi the 2nd. What happens if Barce won the league and lost the CL last season to Utd? Woudl ROnaldo really be more deserving based on a 1 penalty difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RichTea wrote: »
    Viva Ronaldo! Phenomenal season from him last time out, very much deserved the nod for this.

Can't help but feel that it seems almost a foregone conclusion that Lionel Messi will win it next year.

Yeah, can be no doubt about this. Was Ronaldo's year.

Not so sure that he'll get even second this year but Messi's already pretty much won it.

Heard that he's scored as many this season as last season already. Scored another cracking winner as well as an amazing assist on the weekend.

Bar injury, it's his.

He was the best player first half of 2008 and Messi the best second half 2008. Toss of a coin could only settle it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No real surprise there.

• Advertisement

Not quite sure how Kaka got runners up??:confused: He hardly had a great season last year

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not quite sure how Kaka got runners up??:confused: He hardly had a great season last year

messi got runner up i taught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

FIFA can say what they like about the award being 2008, everyone knows its for the season 2007/2008.

The reason they can't put it at the end of last season is because there are many leagues that run over the summer (all the major leagues in South America, for example) so the season isn't quite over for them yet.

It's not just this year it's happened either. Kaka picked up the award last year even though he was only half the player he used to be from August-December 07 compared to January - May 07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Not really sure where to chuck this, but I have to put it up somewhere, just to see the reaction of our very own Xavi. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

His 2007/2008 season form means he had to win this award. Fair play, next year'll be a different story though.

• Advertisement

wtf

ssn are showing who the captains of all the british isles national teams voted for, and are saying that Given is the Irish captain.

Terry voted for Xavi, Torres and Ronaldo, in that order.

Given seemingly voted for Cassilas, Ronaldo and Messi.

bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Charlie wrote: »
    Not really sure where to chuck this, but I have to put it up somewhere, just to see the reaction of our very own Xavi. :D

:rolleyes:

He's the best central midfielder in the world. Fully deserves to be in the top 5 players of 2008.

Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

"Chelsea skipper John Terry put Ronaldo third behind Xavi and Torres.":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lads I was listening the radio here in Madrid tonight and they were having a phone-in on the world player of the year and the footballing loving public here in Madrid were having none of this Ronaldo hype. One poor sod was in favour of Ronny but was shot down by the presenter and another caller in who just went on about Higuain ? whatever the fuvk that was about! They were going on about Messi, Messi and Messi. Madrileanian's were not to into Ronaldo even with all the hype of him joining Madrid. Also on about the fact that 4 Barca pllayers were voted in the top 10 I think they said and the top 10 dominated by Spanish players. Just spreading the word. Before any begrudgery starts Ronny deserved it.

Ronaldo absolutely deserved it, you can't really argue that, but Messi has almost certainly got it in the bag for next year even now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Firstly I don't think Ronaldo deserves it, or should I put it differently and say I don't think he was the most deserving of the award.

These type of awards really annoy me sometimes especially after I looked at who was in the picture with Ronaldo.

It can easily be argued that Messi could have got it but how was Kaka there and even moreso TORRES?????

Things are bad if he is in the running for World player of the year after a good season, he did not make a consistent outstanding contribution in the PL, FFS Roque Santa Cruz was better than him in the Premier League but of course he is not with one of the G14 so he has no chance of being even considered.

On Ronaldo I am probably the only one that thinks he does not deserve it. And its not because I don't like the guy either, but I don't anyways:).

He had a fantastic season, outstanding actually and United might not have won the PL last year without him but they certainly would not have won it without Wayne Rooney.

He was the superstar in that United team for me, ahead of Ronaldo who was also a superstar. I think its disgraceful that he is not in that picture and to see Kaka and Torres there ahead of him really sickens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eagle eye wrote: »
    Firstly I don't think Ronaldo deserves it, or should I put it differently and say I don't think he was the most deserving of the award.

These type of awards really annoy me sometimes especially after I looked at who was in the picture with Ronaldo.

It can easily be argued that Messi could have got it but how was Kaka there and even moreso TORRES?????

Things are bad if he is in the running for World player of the year after a good season, he did not make a consistent outstanding contribution in the PL, FFS Roque Santa Cruz was better than him in the Premier League but of course he is not with one of the G14 so he has no chance of being even considered.

On Ronaldo I am probably the only one that thinks he does not deserve it. And its not because I don't like the guy either, but I don't anyways:).

He had a fantastic season, outstanding actually and United might not have won the PL last year without him but they certainly would not have won it without Wayne Rooney.

He was the superstar in that United team for me, ahead of Ronaldo who was also a superstar. I think its disgraceful that he is not in that picture and to see Kaka and Torres there ahead of him really sickens me.

I stopped reading after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

where to start with all this....

torres didnt consistently contribute to our PL season? i suppose he didn't help spain win the Euros either? he deserved to be there, no question at all imo.

how anyone can claim rooney deserved it over ronaldo is beyond me. how anyone can claim anyone deserved it over ronaldo is beyond me.

absolutely, 100% fully deserved. no matter what people may think of him

Here is my take on it.

Last year in the Premier League for me there were a number of outstanding performers. If you want to add a few international games into the mix, which to me is a real LOL then you could make a case for both Roque Santa Cruz and Torres being in the picture as well. There were others as well who played really well such as Lescott, Steven Gerard, Ashley Young, John Carew and I could go on if I was bothered, but in my opinion the most outstanding players in the PL last year were the four below and in that order. Of course defenders and goalkeepers never get a look in which makes the whole thing slightly stupid anyways. I'd have Vidic and Evra, Reina and Carragher, Terry and Cashley and Cliche up there as well.

Wayne Rooney: For me the best player in the world last year. He was everywhere on the pitch for United. You could see him making a tackle at Uniteds Corner flag and seconds later up supplying an assist for one of Ronaldo's many goals. 12 PL goals and 13 assists don't do any justice to the amount of work he put in all over the pitch for United.

Cristiano Ronaldo: A magnificent haul of 31 PL goals and 7 assists. An outstanding season, it will be hard for him to match it again lest he remains fit for an entire season. At times he has a weakness in his game which is his link up play but last season it didn't really matter as he was so potent.

Emanuel Adebayor: With Thierry Henry leaving Arsenal, everyone expected that Robin Van Persie would become the focus of attention at Arsenal, but Adebayor stepped up on the promise he had previously shown to almost look like a clone of Henry in so many ways. A magnificent season for the man from Togo, again 24 goals and 3 assists don't give enough credit to how well he performed.

Cesc Fabregas: Without doubt the most outstanding midfielder in the Premier League last season. Fabregas was awesome for Arsenal and with Adebayor spearheaded an unexpected challenge for the Premier League title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally I wouldn't have Rooney anywhere near the 'Best Player in the World' tag for any year. I think he's a wasteful player in front of goal given the amount of chances he gets, he is completely one dimensional (i.e. when he runs at defenders it's obvious which way he is going to go as he has no left foot), and his poor attitude on the pitch makes him a liability to the team as no one knows when he is going to explode. If referees enforced the letter of the law properly then Rooney would spend a lot more time on the sidelines and be more of a liability than anything else.

IMO he is a very limited player, albeit a good one.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't have Rooney anywhere near the 'Best Player in the World' tag for any year. I think he's a wasteful player in front of goal given the amount of chances he gets, he is completely one dimensional (i.e. when he runs at defenders it's obvious which way he is going to go as he has no left foot), and his poor attitude on the pitch makes him a liability to the team as no one knows when he is going to explode. If referees enforced the letter of the law properly then Rooney would spend a lot more time on the sidelines and be more of a liability than anything else.

IMO he is a very limited player, albeit a good one.
    Well each to his own Xavi, I just think, as I said earlier, that without him they would not have won the title last season. But then again I'm not saying that they would have done without Ronaldo either, they were both brilliant. I'd put them down as the top two in the world last year.

I've said many time before, I'm not a United fan, if anything I hate them all especially the manager as you well know:D but right now they have at least four players in that team who I would consider to be vying for the best player on the planet, them four being Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic and Evra.
    You gotta hand it to Ferguson, he has put the best team he has ever had together right now and the age of him, you think he'd do us all a favour and roll over and die, its about time United went back to the unreliable outfit they were before he got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Well each to his own Xavi, I just think, as I said earlier, that without him they would not have won the title last season. But then again I'm not saying that they would have done without Ronaldo either, they were both brilliant. I'd put them down as the top two in the world last year.

I've said many time before, I'm not a United fan, if anything I hate them all especially the manager as you well know:D but right now they have at least four players in that team who I would consider to be vying for the best player on the planet, them four being Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic and Evra.
    You gotta hand it to Ferguson, he has put the best team he has ever had together right now and the age of him, you think he'd do us all a favour and roll over and die, its about time United went back to the unreliable outfit they were before he got there.

thats an awful thing to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I don't think the winner here is wrong, but just reading the achievements of the players, you'd have to say that in any other season/year, Torres would have absolutely deserved this award and would have won it hands down.

Only for Ronaldo having such an exceptional season, a scoring record like Torres in England first season and scoring the winner in a European Championship final is an absolutely huge achievement, I hadn't really contemplated it until now.

Second point is that I am amazed at the top 23 given in one of the articles listed, Ronaldo is the ONLY United player in there, while there are multiple Liverpool/Chelsea/Juventus players. That confuses me a bit, Vidic, Scholes, Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick and Evra can all feel hard done by considering their own vital contributions to such big achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Grats Ronaldo.

Messi next year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Congratulations Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement