Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your 2nd team

• 12-01-2009 9:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you didnt support the team you did, who would you like to think you'd support?

Ive had a few friends recently call Villa their 2nd team. When they explained why they said cos they liked how the team/club is run and conducts itself and of course the fact that I supported them also made them interested in their results. Made me wonder which side would you like to see do well if it didnt affect the team you currently support.

Im sure ill get stick for admitting this but having had lots of Liverpool mates ive always wanted the Pool to do well. I appreciate history in a club and combine Liverpools with the fact that they havent been dominant during most of my football experience (no ABU esque backlash) and that their fans are highlighted often for creating brilliant atmospheres that ive always wanted them to do well. Despite the antics over the summer with Barry id still like to see Pool win the league, whoever if they were in Arsenals place (another one of the teams i admire greatly) id want them to fail as im still 100% a Villa fan and that would impact on my team.

think it could be interesting to see which sides certain people on here who we might see as die-hard Pool/Man Utd/Whoever fans actually like outside of their own team.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Supporting Newcastle is all that I can stomach at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont really have one apart from Wolves for family reasons. I used to like Chelsea back at the start of the Big Money era under Hoddle to Tinkerman as they were pretty exciting to watch, but then they got too good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watford for me. Purely because my dad's from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Charlie wrote: »
    Supporting Newcastle is all that I can stomach at the moment.

after sitting through the joy that is a newcastle 2nd half performance, must be someone whos results you look at and think well its nice to seeing them so well even if were not firing on all cylinders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I find the notion of a "second team" very strange.

Having said that.

Any team that is playing Sunderland.

I'd always hope they win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Always liked villa so root for them if their playing a diffrent mid table team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Am a Blackburn fan, but suppose my 2nd team would be Sunderland....

And no not because of the Ireland thing, but because my Girlfriend is from Durham and is a Sunderland fan, add to that a season ticket holder - which means i go to quite a few games - and you become attached...

I must admit the feeling i had on St Stephens day - sitting with the home fans, and me being a Blackburn fan was unreal - impossible to explain,

Just the fact everyone around me wanted the opposite to me,

and i have to do it all again now for the FA cup! after already having been drawn against each other in the Carling cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Whoever Mourinho is in charge of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Man United only for me I'm afraid!

But, if i was to watch any other team I'd pick Arsenal, always love watching their football, wouldn't look out for their results or anything just prefer to watch them if United aren't on!

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    I find the notion of a "second team" very strange.

Having said that.

Any team that is playing Sunderland.

I'd always hope they win.

well not so much that you support 2 teams but one more than the other although ive a feeling that might be the case with some people (DSB i believe although the other isnt in the same league). More that something about a club you dont support has always made you like them and youd like to see them do well as lond as it doesent affect your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

well not so much that you support 2 teams but one more than the other although ive a feeling that might be the case with some people (DSB i believe although the other isnt in the same league). More that something about a club you dont support has always made you like them and youd like to see them do well as lond as it doesent affect your team.

Thats it exactly, I grew up a Villa fan, and it isn't like you just throw away your affection for a club when you realise you've far more of a connection with the local club. Shels may have stolen my heart but I'll always ride the highs and lows with Villa, and I'd definitely equate my support of Villa to any Irish fan, but nothing on the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

I'd be of the same ilk in keeping an eye on Chelsea prior to the oligarths arrival. I was raised in London though a short distance from the Kings road so that no doubt played its part.

Nowadays it takes all I have just to handle Liverpool's lurching (TOP OF THE LEAGUE............ WOOO :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

sure i already support everyones second favourite team - man city, so i just hate every other club to balance it out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Don't have a second team but if I hadn't supported Arsenal, would probably have supported Chelsea as they are the nearest team/local team to me when I am in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Couldn't say i support them as such, but i do miss Wimbledon's presence from the top flight, nevermind their terminal decline or the silly Dublin move, they just punched above their weight against the big money for long enough. What year did they lead the PL for a few months? madness. 7m on Hartson? madness. Nils eggart Johanssen? mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No one can touch Bray but I've always had a soft spot for Chelsea since the days of Gianfranco Zola. What a player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont have any 2nd English team. I suppose Limerick would be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ever since watching Fratton Park explode into the theme tune to the great escape one day when they were getting routed by an Arsenal team in full form (4-0 I think) I've always liked to see Pompey do well. Most other home fans would have gone asleep/home or started booing their team. I always respected them since that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Villa definitely. However I would also like to see Stoke stay up purely because of the fantastic support they've been getting this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

In another life I'd love to be an Athletic Bilbao supporter.
    The gf is from Sligo so I like to see Sligo Rovers doing well (unless they're playing Shels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

1. Cork City
    2. Leyton Orient
    3. Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Could'nt think of having a second team rangers the only team for me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Rangers....just to pi$$ celtic fans off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Highsider wrote: »

Actually.

I have a soft spot for Rangers for the exact same, very valid, reason.

Also Eirebear is an excellent poster.

ditto Fratton Fred, I like him as a poster too, so look for Pompey because of him. He almost cancels out the CowBell dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Real Sociedad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Actually.

ditto Fratton Fred, I like him as a poster too, so look for Pompey because of him. He almost cancels out the CowBell dude.

Aw your making me all proud of EB now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Actually.

Going by that logic, you must be a massive Newky fan icon_surprised.gif

Charlie wrote: »
    Going by that logic, you must be a massive Newky fan icon_surprised.gif

well you are Sunderlands biggest rivals afterall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Always been fond of Birmingham.

However after last year....

Barcelona. By a mile. They actually come close enough to United for me.

In England i used to like Spurs (pre jol) and I've always like Villa but I always pick a relegation team to root for as well and this year I categorically hope Stoke stay up as their fans are deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I support two teams, Barcelona and the team playing against Madrid. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Actually.

I hope Shels go into admin for the exact same, very childish reasons.

My 2nd teams in any given year usually depend on either the manager or the Irish contingent at x or y club. This year I have a liking for Fulham and Spurs. Dont care much for either team but I like the Delboy geezerism and anti establishment-ism of Hodgson and Arry :) Id look out for Reading what with the 4 lads there. I looked out for Svens MC, couldnt care less post Hughes tbh. Ditto Chelsea, the EPL is a duller place without Jose. Good luck to O`Neill and all, have to admire what he can do with a squad of largely unknown players.

Internationally, I always watch Scotland if their match isnt clashing with ours, and always check their result as soon as ours is over. Check the Turks results too what with their jaw droppers last summer, and was on the beer in Amsterdam with a bang on Turk from the hostel who regarded us as his 2nd team (his surname translates to the word Shamrock, which he said had something to do with it :p ). In tournos generally back the Dutch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've developed a soft spot for Reading since their time in the Premiership. Steve Coppell seems like a gentleman and Kevin Doyle is one of my favourite Irish players. They also have other Irish lads there and their fans seem like a good bunch. They also play good, attacking football. I hope they get promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Couldn't follow another Prem team so it would Wycombe Wanderers, Barca or possibly Juve.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Highsider wrote: »

Ya love rubbing it into my bro's and Dads face when Rangers do well.

Other then being a die hard Man United fan, thanks to FM I have broadend my horizons in the last few years

In Spain I follow Valencia. This started through a love of Pablo Aimar and when he left I just continued to support them. I'm always checking their results and I try to catch a match whenever I can.

I also started supporting Inter cos of Adriano. Although once they became good(ie won the league cos of the others cheating) I couldn't look upon them the same anymore. To be honest I don't really support them anymore.Tis for the best really since United are playing them in the CL!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I suppose it would be Villa for me, my bro is a Villa fan, he goes there at least ten times a season, I went with him once and I don't remember the dive of a bar he brought me to, but basically I kept my mouth shut about football because they were all die hard nutcases. He fitted right in himself. I followed them for many years due to him, and of course things were interesting when they had Townsend, McGrath, Staunton and Houghton there who were legends having brought us to a World Cup in 1990.
    I would be a big fan of Martin O'Neill for years also so that'd put them firmly as my second choice right now.
    I gotta say though like another poster that I really love Mourinho. I think he is a fantastic manager, brilliant with the media and gets the best from his players. I think he could challenge for honours with Spurs never mind Villa, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal and of course the new moneybags Man City. I was saying in another thread that I fancy he will manage City in the near future if Hughes does not improve their position considerably by the end of the season. I'd love to see him back in charge of a PL side.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Following Leeds is about as much as I can cope with thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FC United :)

• Advertisement

haha not a single mention of go ahead eagles. what happened to all the sigs guys? HUP HUP anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I struggle to think of any team i could fully support if Rangers where to go out of business (lets stay off that topic for the minute:mad:).

I do have "soft spots" for teams though, i tend to look for the Everton, Finn Harps and FC Volendaam results.
    I like to see Clyde and Partick Thistle do well.

There are other teams such as Barca and Man Utd who i really enjoy watching, but wether they win or not means nothing to me in all honesty.

EDIT: And yes...i am an awesome poster! :cool::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Barca definitely. Watch every game on sky or net. Its nice to have a team to watch in champions league that I want to win. And its a bonus my favorite world player messi plays for them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably Aston Villa, my dad supports them. And they're getting better to watch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Chelsea man first. I've always had a very soft spot for Milan, watchin em back in the day on Network 2 etc etc.

I do keep an eye on Leeds :O Mostly coz of my father really, even if he decides to disgrace me and closet support Le Arse :D

Truth be told I like a lot of teams out there, Ajax, Barca, Real, Fiorentina etc etc, I just like football *shrugs*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Villa

Jazzy wrote: »
    Villa

You told me you were a Closet Chelsea man!

You lied to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Noticing a lot of peopleanswering Villa.

Is this Blackburn Syndrome?

Its like the time Spurs were breakin the top four for the majority of the season. I think some people just want to see someone do it, it was Everton one year iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ever since watching Fratton Park explode into the theme tune to the great escape one day when they were getting routed by an Arsenal team in full form (4-0 I think) I've always liked to see Pompey do well. Most other home fans would have gone asleep/home or started booing their team. I always respected them since that day.

Incredible fans. I remember them clapping Henry off the pitch that day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement