Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New buid - couple of questions.

Options
  • 12-01-2009 10:06pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm treating myself to a new pc (fúck you recession!). I'm going with a q6600, 4GBs ddr2, 4870 1GB, 750GB spinpoit in an antec 900 case. I just don't know what motherboard to go with. I don't want to spend crazy money, I doubt I'll ever crossfire or go ddr3 either.

I was thinking of getting this one (http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609860). Any thoughts, can you recommend anything better? I'll be overclocking the quad as well.

I'm also looking at a cooler for the quad. I was looking at this (http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=606426) and reviews seem good. As above, any thoughts on it.

Would a corsair 550w be enough to power all this? I imagine it would be just double checking.

Cheers in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

The p5q is a great board so I'd have no issue with that and its a great overclocker as well. Maybe for a q6600 on air you'd consider the Thermalright ultra extreme, it can be a bit pricey but great for giving extra headroom on the potential overclocks you can get from the q6600:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is this the one you are on about?

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609704

It says it's only for am2. Is it just a mis-print on the site

Thats the one. its says AM2 but mine came with both so I'm pretty positive you can get that one but drop them a mail to make sure it has the mounting hardware for it:D

Also just be sure that it fits the case you're getting cause its quite large and I've read of it not fitting into some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

What requiem said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Don't those Asus boards have really bad 24-pin PSU connector placement? Do you end up having your cables hanging over your cpu or else your gfx card?

• Advertisement

Don't those Asus boards have really bad 24-pin PSU connector placement? Do you end up having your cables hanging over your cpu or else your gfx card?

Yeah it does, I was thinking of the P5Q deluxe and P5Q E when I saw it; they're fine, the P5Ql-E is shocking placement. good spot:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Lookin' for a new board myself, I want a change from [EMAIL="Gig@byte"]Gig@byte[/EMAIL], I was thinking of going for the MSI neo-f or possibly a DFI like this -

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=417596

Lookin' for a new board myself, I want a change from [EMAIL="Gig@byte"]Gig@byte[/EMAIL], I was thinking of going for the MSI neo-f or possibly a DFI like this -

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=417596

Whenever I'm looking for motherboards I'm generally just concerned with how good they overclock. I went through a few MSI boards in my AMD days and they're generally poor overclockers with decent features. DFI are great overclockers so anything with their name on I'd definitely approve of. But currently I'm a big fan of asus and will probably stick with them for the meantime. Mainly cause they offer decent price, great oveclocking and decent features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MSI boards are alright overclockers if you're not trying to score huge overclocks, which you wouldn't be really on a Q6600. So if you're only going to be doing very light overclocking (realistically it'd only be for benchmarks and applications, games won't need it) don't rule out the cheaper MSI because they're not known for their OC'ing potential. I had one before and yeah it was a pain beyond a few hundred mhz of an OC but it was stable and are you going to realistically need anything more?

The champion budget board maker are Gigabyte, even their cheapest boards overclock excellently. In my last 3 builds I've had cheap 50-60 euro Gigabyte boards in my otherwise high end builds and all have been excellent. At the moment I've a 47 euro Gigabyte 630i mAtx board in my main gaming build with an E8600 and 4870 1Gb. I think alongside CPU's, people totally overexaggerate boards in relation to what they actually need (the biggest crime being people who know nothing about computers, don't plan overclocking or going dual GPU, spending 150-200 euro on boards in their new expensive machines by default assuming they're better. They're only better if you actually need their features, something lost of a lot of people)

MSI boards are alright overclockers if you're not trying to score huge overclocks, which you wouldn't be really on a Q6600. So if you're only going to be doing very light overclocking (realistically it'd only be for benchmarks and applications, games won't need it) don't rule out the cheaper MSI because they're not known for their OC'ing potential. I had one before and yeah it was a pain beyond a few hundred mhz of an OC but it was stable and are you going to realistically need anything more?

Well you've got the potential to bring the q6600 to 3.6Ghz easily enough on air and that can be run 24/7 with a TRUE, so as much as I agree with you that MSI are grand for mild overclocks, I think the q6600 has greater potential sitting on a overclockers board like the P5Q Deluxe
    The champion budget board maker are Gigabyte, even their cheapest boards overclock excellently. In my last 3 builds I've had cheap 50-60 euro Gigabyte boards in my otherwise high end builds and all have been excellent. At the moment I've a 47 euro Gigabyte 630i mAtx board in my main gaming build with an E8600 and 4870 1Gb. I think alongside CPU's, people totally overexaggerate boards in relation to what they actually need (the biggest crime being people who know nothing about computers, don't plan overclocking or going dual GPU, spending 150-200 euro on boards in their new expensive machines by default assuming they're better. They're only better if you actually need their features, something lost of a lot of people)

The reason I didn't mention Gigabyte was because extra-ordinary wants a change but agreed. Gigabyte and Foxconn are two companies that have stepped up their game in the past few years and gigabyte's do have great overclocking potential at a low cost but I honestly have little experience using them so advising them to someone would be a no-no for me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The true 120 fits all right but after seeing pictures of the thing, I don't know how. It's bigger than your average 6 year old child. I've sent them an email to see if it comes with the socket 775 mounting brackets. Looks like I'll stick with the asus board as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It comes with mounting brackets for all modern sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I would go onto adverts and show off :p

Probably pick up a Quad there for €100, 8800gtx another 100, p35 mobo €50, 4gigs ram €40, antec case €60.

It comes with mounting brackets for all modern sockets.
    Do you know if it comes with a fan?

Nope, no fan. The noctua UP12 does, as does the Scythe Mugen. Both are close to the performance of a TRUE (unless it hasn't been given a fan in which case obviously they'l outperform it), but not quite as good. The Mugen might need an optional bracket as they decided to use push pins on it for socket 775, which it's far too heavy for. The Mugen 2 is just out, but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet.

[EDIT]Looks like Tekheads has an "AMD only" version of the TRUE, which I'd never heard of. Why Thermalright are selling differentiated versions now when it originally came with both sets of adaptors is beyond me. Everywhere else is selling the multisocket version.[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

emm just a quick question...why are you going for a 1gb 4870? unless your gaming using a massive 23",there really isnt much difference between the 1gb and 512mb. maybe get a 512 and save 50€ or whatever it is and go buy yourself a very good mobo to oc that q6600

You don't really need a phenomenal mobo to overclock a q6600 - in fact, any p35/p45 board will give you all the overclock an average user needs on any modern intel processor.
    If I was going to put €50 towards anything, it would be towards a decent SSD, double your RAM, or buying some quiet cooling (artic cooling accelero s1 v2 for the graphics card and some quiet scythe, noctua or nexus 120mm fans for cooling.) But a 1gig graphics card is a good investment in today's games - 512mg is getting a bit restrictive.

The system you're describing will easily run off 550w, probably only consume about 350w. Gives you space to run some more hard drives further down the line.

[EDIT]Looks like Tekheads has an "AMD only" version of the TRUE, which I'd never heard of. Why Thermalright are selling differentiated versions now when it originally came with both sets of adaptors is beyond me. Everywhere else is selling the multisocket version.[/EDIT]

Yup, the manufacturers link just says amd as well. Pain in the balls so it is. I might just go with the mugen. Do you have a link to the bracket for the mugen? I'll probably get a few scythe sflex fans as well.
    emm just a quick question...why are you going for a 1gb 4870? unless your gaming using a massive 23",there really isnt much difference between the 1gb and 512mb. maybe get a 512 and save 50€ or whatever it is and go buy yourself a very good mobo to oc that q6600

I'll be playing at 1920x1200. It'll be either the samsung T240 or T260. So that 1GB will be used.

Any links I have are from other sites where you'd have to pay shipping. The Mugen bracket pack is about ~€7.

This place is about the best site I've found for selling air coolers of all kinds, and cheaper than other places. They've got the Mugen 2, the correct (all sockets) version of the TRUE, and the Noctua, and they've a MUCH better range of fans, including the Scythe slipstreams. They also sell the Artic Cooling accellero which is well regarded as one of the best GPU upgrades you can get - dropping the temps on a 4870 by ~20-30 deg if you've got fans on it, for €20, and near-silent operation? Not a bad bet.

The problem with sites nowadays is that no one site is cheapest for everything, and there's nothing worse than paying for delivery twice! :)

Any links I have are from other sites where you'd have to pay shipping. The Mugen bracket pack is about ~€7.

This place is about the best site I've found for selling air coolers of all kinds, and cheaper than other places. They've got the Mugen 2, the correct (all sockets) version of the TRUE, and the Noctua, and they've a MUCH better range of fans, including the Scythe slipstreams. They also sell the Artic Cooling accellero which is well regarded as one of the best GPU upgrades you can get - dropping the temps on a 4870 by ~20-30 deg if you've got fans on it, for €20, and near-silent operation? Not a bad bet.

The problem with sites nowadays is that no one site is cheapest for everything, and there's nothing worse than paying for delivery twice! :)

Damn, you've tempted me. I think I'll get the mugen 2 (if the thing will fit), accelero and a few of those slipstreams from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would consider the GTX260 216 over the 1GB 4870, I got the 1GB 4870 myself and its a stellar card, and was cheaper then the rival GTX, but these days the prices are very close and any review I've read shows the 216 260 to be considerably faster at 1920x1200+ - though not so much at lower resolutions.

The 1GB 4870 is 190 on pixmania. I'm getting a monitor and a 5.1 surround sound from there as well so I'd have to pay the delivery anyways. I can't remember seeing any core 216s under €250 (I was choosing between the two at one stage).

DON'T buy from Pixmania.

You're asking for ****ing disaster.

You're buying from 3 sites - Tekheads, HPM and Pix?
    I'd tot up what you're paying on triple delivery and decide how much you're saving.
    If you find that buying some parts from tekheads or HPM cancels out the difference between them and Pix I'd drop pix like a hot piece of crud. Don't forget with Pix you get all the incompetence of Dixons with the added crap attitude of the French. Not for nothing did DSG have to unravel a massive stock fraud when they took over the place.

It's the only place I can find with the surround sound. Delivery is only €17 or €18 from pixmania with the monitor, graphics card and surround sound. I'm not setting in stone where I'm buying anything at the moment as I won't be ordering until next week (stupid credit card only has an €800 limit) and prices/stock could change between now and then.

Same type of card is 200 sterling on Tekheads. Creative 5.1 speakers are ~45 on tekheads or HPM. But, they don't stock the monitors.... Yeesh. You're saving money but on your own head be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I'm treating myself to a new pc (fúck you recession!). I'm going with a q6600, 4GBs ddr2, 4870 1GB, 750GB spinpoit in an antec 900 case. I just don't know what motherboard to go with. I don't want to spend crazy money, I doubt I'll ever crossfire or go ddr3 either.

I was thinking of getting this one (http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609860). Any thoughts, can you recommend anything better? I'll be overclocking the quad as well.

I'm also looking at a cooler for the quad. I was looking at this (http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=606426) and reviews seem good. As above, any thoughts on it.

Would a corsair 550w be enough to power all this? I imagine it would be just double checking.

Cheers in advance guys.

I bought this and when the time comes you can put 16gb of ram into it.I have 8 gigs in mine at the moment with a Q6600 Feckin' savage

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ABIT_FP-IN9_SLI/index.shtml

By the way I bought it in peats

Advertisement