Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name Jesus

Options
  • 12-01-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Something I been thinking about for a while: How come no-one in Ireland is named Jesus?
    All other biblical names are common (with the exception of Judas).
    Mary (as holy as Jesus) is a very common name.
    Jesus is common in Latin Catholic countries.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

biko wrote: »
    Something I been thinking about for a while: How come no-one in Ireland is named Jesus?
    All other biblical names are common (with the exception of Judas).
    Mary (as holy as Jesus) is a very common name.
    Jesus is common in Latin Catholic countries.

I think it is probably out of a fear that it might be seen as blasphemous. Anyway, people are called 'Joshua' which is actually the same name.

As for other countries, when my wife and I were travelling from Malaga to Gibraltar our coach driver was called Jesus. We stopped at a Motorway services and he told us we were to board the coach again at 11.30. I came out of the toilets and found my wife standing outside the locked coach. She said, "I'm waiting for Jesus to return."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's pretty common in Spain, isn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    my wife and I were travelling from Malaga to Gibraltar our coach driver was called Jesus. We stopped at a Motorway services [...] my wife [...] said "I'm waiting for Jesus to return."
    Given your history of miraculous roadside meetings, I thought there'd be a better ending to that story. I'm vaguely disappointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

My dad's second middle name is "of the Sacred Heart of Jesus". How about that, huh? :pac: My grandparents definately went overboard with his full name.

Over here, Jesus is a pretty common name and not considered blasphemous at all. On the contrary, it is considered to show devotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Anyone called 'Jason' is actually called 'Jesus'. Jason which means 'Helper' or 'Healer' is a Greek cognate of the Hebrew name Yeshua (Jesus) which itself as PDN pointed out is the same as Joshua and Joshua is a Hebrew contraction of 'Jehovah Oshua' or 'Jehovah Hosea' 'God our Helper or saviour'. So all Jasons take a bow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

God, I love boards.ie! I learn something new every day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Anyone called 'Jason' is actually called 'Jesus'. Jason which means 'Helper' or 'Healer' is a Greek cognate of the Hebrew name Yeshua (Jesus) which itself as PDN pointed out is the same as Joshua and Joshua is a Hebrew contraction of 'Jehovah Oshua' or 'Jehovah Hosea' 'God our Helper or saviour'. So all Jasons take a bow :D

Next time someone quips, 'whats in a name?!', I'm quoting this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

JimiTime wrote: »
    Next time someone quips, 'whats in a name?!', I'm quoting this

Names were really important designations in the Bible. That's why many were changed once their natures change along with it. A case in point would Jacob which means "Heal catcher" as he caught the heal of his brother Esau when they were being born. All his life he exhibited this trait until God had to cripple him, then he became known as Israel which literally means "God governed". As for his father Isaac. His name means "He laughs" because both Abraham and Sarah laughed when it was told them that they were to have a son. They were both stricken in years both over 90. And Abraham himself had his name change from "Abram" which means high father to "Abraham" which means father of many nations. And probably the most famous of all is Saul the Jew to Paul the gentile. So what's in a name is a good conversation piece if you print it out and hang it on a wall in your house or something :D

Advertisement