Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compression socks

Options
  • 12-01-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Whats your opinion on these? I read a claim that they can knock off upto 5% of your time in a marathon??!!! I find it hard to believe, but would consider them if they helped you run a little quicker in shorter races.Truth or myth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

buy a pair and try them out. For 10km+ distances i've noticed my legs aren't as wrecked the next day, i'd say race times are directly related to amount your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭limericklion

Where can these socks be bought I know they dont sell them in the Limerick Sports store or in Lifestyle in limerick either .

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Sports shops in ireland stock fashion items -not running gear and if they do they usually rip you off.Try the net

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Elverys are usually good for things like this.

Elverys dont sell them I think well least not in the west.Apart from the net where can they be bought in Ireland as there seems to be a large number of athletes wearing them at races. Are there any specific stores that sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I know the edge in Cork have/had them. 2XU I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eltuerto

The value of compression socks are that they prevent the calves in your legs moving about as much. This reduces micro tears. However the greater value is AFTER a race or training session. A fresh pair should be put on after the race and kept on for a few hours afterwards. This aids greatly the recovery process. Fresh pair only because of the smell!!

You can get them on the net from John Buckley Sports or try Start Ftness site who are based in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

eltuerto wrote: »
    The value of compression socks are that they prevent the calves in your legs moving about as much. This reduces micro tears. However the greater value is AFTER a race or training session. A fresh pair should be put on after the race and kept on for a few hours afterwards. This aids greatly the recovery process. Fresh pair only because of the smell!!

You can get them on the net from John Buckley Sports or try Start Ftness site who are based in the UK.

So do ye reckon it would be any advantage to wear them during a race?
    Havent seen them in Limerick either..

Well they won't make you run faster BUT they will help in recovering quicker. As I said I would wear them after a race as that is their main benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well they won't make you run faster BUT they will help in recovering quicker. As I said I would wear them after a race as that is their main benefit.
    I've been using a pair of skins for my calf for the last few months, usually sleep in them the night after a race or long run, i do find that they aid recovery. Was looking at the compression socks too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

jimbo007 wrote: »
    So do ye reckon it would be any advantage to wear them during a race?

If there was an advantage to be gained you'd see all the top athletes wearing them during races. They may aid recovery, but if that's the case why not wear compression trousers rather than just concentrate on the calf?

Stupidprivate

I'd don't think my wife would let me wear compression trousers in bed!!! I would get away with the socks though.......

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If there was an advantage to be gained you'd see all the top athletes wearing them during races. They may aid recovery, but if that's the case why not wear compression trousers rather than just concentrate on the calf?

you are seeing more and more people wearing them for longer distance races though, the flesh coloured ones are popular among women marathon runners and ironmen for instance. The thinking is that for the longer races they prevention of micro tears helps as the race goes on. Personally I wouldn't wear them, but have been trying wearing the tights after runs and to bed and seem to feel a bit less sore the next day, dunno if it could be placebo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

As a user of a couple of different brands, and types (all for lower limbs)
    The science is still out on wearing during the race or run. Yes some studies have been done but the last time I looked at these (about 6 months ago) the numbers were small or funded by the companies. What they do and do well is post race or run. That they help you recover is well studied, post surgical socks and running socks both show benefits there.

As for some athletes with socks and some with thights? Well it depends on what feels good to you. But most of the effect is seen in the calf and lower leg area.

Where exactly can they be bought, specific shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

eh?
    I know the edge in Cork have/had them. 2XU I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but came across it when trying to find out where to get some for myself. Thought I'd share the knowledge.

I got mine here : http://www.legstyle.eu/57-sports-recovery

Really happy with them, though still need to up my training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I know a few basketballers who have been wearing them for years for training sessions. They won't wear them in games because they "look gay"

Came across this. http://www.active.com/gear/Articles/5-Reasons-to-Wear-Compression-Sleeves-and-Socks

Poison Ivy though is not that much of a major concer here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

They do help with recovery big time i never wear them in races but i do wear them after . you can buy them in Base2Race or Amphibian King , also Amazon sell them as well as wiggles quite easy to get .

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

I am looking for calf compression sleeves, instead of socks. any suggestions on <€30

*** EDIT. Got 2XU Sleeves in Eurocycles on Wicklow st for €30 (25% off €40 rrp). very happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mtdelany wrote: »
    I am looking for calf compression sleeves, instead of socks. any suggestions on <€30

*** EDIT. Got 2XU Sleeves in Eurocycles on Wicklow st for €30 (25% off €40 rrp). very happy

ASICS do pairs for €25. Only available in S / M / L & XL.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Also came across these but not a fan of sleeves myself.

http://www.basdecontention.eu/chaussettes-de-contention-de-sport/gococo-manchon-deffort-noir-1.html

Discount Code "NRHDublin" gets you 10% off all the Butik21 Websites

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

The faster by 5% is cobblers. The recovery thing is not. Save money by buying them in boots - they are the DVT airline compression socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

If these help with wear and tear on the calves, do they by extension help the achilles also. I've been dealing with problems here since last August.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Was ordering stuff from Sports Direct and decided to throw in a pair of these: http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-compression-socks-mens-415049 (€1 delivery at the moment BTW)

I intend to wear them for recovery after long runs. Very cheap so I don't have great expectations but I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Cardex wrote: »
    Was ordering stuff from Sports Direct and decided to throw in a pair of these: http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-compression-socks-mens-415049 (€1 delivery at the moment BTW)

I intend to wear them for recovery after long runs. Very cheap so I don't have great expectations but I'll report back.

Not too shabby, can't go wrong at that price

Advertisement