Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Fad wrote: »
    But how can the same educations system end up with me, who can have a chat about last nights football etc. I dont go out of my way with Irish, and I'm a pretty average student resultswise.

The vast majority of students cannot speak the language with any reasonable level of fluency. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that you enjoy the language with a name like Fad. If you enjoy something, you'll progress more at it. Some people find languages easy to grasp - But it doesn't change the fact that after 13 years, the overwhelming majority of students can not have a realistic conversation in Irish.
    Also everyday stuff would kinda just stop being interesting after a while.

The idea is to build up your conversational grasp of the language to the level where you can discuss whatever you want once you hit leaving cert level. What you discuss isn't important as being able to discuss it.

People cannot speak the language. If you think that there is an argument for not putting serious time into the conversational aspect of the language, I'd like to hear it - Other than you being bored by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i think speaking irish conversationally should start in primary school. I really wish i had gone to an all irish speaking school when i was younger because i know it would have helped a lot. In a way i kind of think they should make all schools irishp speaking, but that might be a bit unfair to foreign students.

i still think there should be some poetry on the course though because it gives the people who arent the best speakers a chance at showing their skills in another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

dlofnep wrote: »
    The vast majority of students cannot speak the language with any reasonable level of fluency. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that you enjoy the language with a name like Fad. If you enjoy something, you'll progress more at it. Some people find languages easy to grasp - But it doesn't change the fact that after 13 years, the overwhelming majority of students can not have a realistic conversation in Irish.

I have no clue what you're talking about when it comes the the username thing:o
    I do enjoy Irish, but I enjoy most of my subjects. I have a few reasons that I have intention of broadcasting on what motivates me with Irish, but at the same time, I dont have any better teachers, or an easier syllabus, I think its grand the way it is. At HL anyway.

In all seriousness, if someone has a problem with the poem Gealt, they should most likely be looking for a dispensation when it comes to languages, it doesnt any simpler!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

In all seriousness, if someone has a problem with the poem Gealt, they should most likely be looking for a dispensation when it comes to languages, it doesnt any simpler!

Its all down to the way the subject was taught beforehand. I can see it with a lot of people in my school....they don't understand the poems and stories etc. because they've never been taught the basics of the language....just cramming in stories and poems won't help them grasp the language and enjoy it. Had i been taught properly, I'd still be in higher level getting reasonable grades instead of being stuck in ordinary level hating the subject more and more everyday. I don't think my class has spoken Irish for more than 5 minutes since I dropped to ordinary in 5th year. Something is obviously wrong with the teachers and the way its taught.

Something is obviously wrong with the teachers and the way its taught.

Its easy to blame the teacher, more than likely they're not a fault.......

What is being taught isnt ideal, but it will have to do :)

I think that its more, there is something wrong with the student, and the was it is(nt) being learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I have no clue what you're talking about when it comes the the username thing:o
    dlofnep possibly does what I do and reads Fad as an Irish word meaning "length", etc. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PFM is correct ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

But that would have to problem of having students not being able to adequately write the language which is essential too!
    If you were to choose one or the other though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doggone

My children all went to an Irish speaking school and it was never easy because somewhere the present Irish is not what should be in the dna of real Irish people. Amazed though that people find it so hard when they have not got a psycho beating it into them.:eek:

dlofnep possibly does what I do and reads Fad as an Irish word meaning "length", etc. : p

I had a suspicion of that but the tale of my username not quite so graceful (I shall take that tale now though) the real tale is best left as a mystery to all but myself............

• Advertisement
Advertisement