Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 265W

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

Got this sat nav for christmas and i'm quite impressed with it but there seems to be something funny with the maps. When I'm heading to Balinteer from Lucan it gets confused at the M50 roundabout (as expected as its such a new junction) but then it doesn't find the position until after the firhouse exit.
    Also heading from balinteer it says M50 at the top of the screen but then it contradicts itself by repeatidly telling me to turn right onto M50 ! It eventually stops telling me at the tallaght turn off.

I did read the post at the start of this section, but maps seem to be very out of date and there's no newer update according to the garmin site.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

just out of curiosity how much did you pay for it and where did you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Get on to Garmin if they are not the 2009 maps as yo only have 60 days after first acquisition to get the latest maps, what date is the Garmin plug-in saying its first acquisition is?

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Get on to Garmin if they are not the 2009 maps as yo only have 60 days after first acquisition to get the latest maps, what date is the Garmin plug-in saying its first acquisition is?

MC

There seems to be 4 issues here:

1. Do you have the most recent mapping - see settings/Maps/MapInfo - it should be V2009- if not go back to where you bought it and ask them to update or replace or register it on Garmin Website and you will be entitled to an update off the web for free!

2. The other possibility is that the mapping has not yet been brought to date with work on the M50 - there is no choice but to report it to Navteq - as stated in the post you mentioned here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58430030&postcount=1

3. If the routing is trying to take you an alternative route - then make sure your navigation settings are as desired - probably - "Fastest Route" - otherwise there may be a bug - so load "Web Updater" from the Garmin Website and update the firmware FOC - It is a good idea to update the firmware regularly from the Garmin Website - this will fix known and resolved bugs!

4. If the unit having difficulty tracking satellites - check its location on the windscreen and if it is able to calculate position properly just in your hand outside the car - also in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58430030&postcount=1

Let us know...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Emmerly

Got it for a present so don't know how much it was. I think it was purchased in currys or powercity one of those places.

I'll check version of software and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Digidaz

Hi,

I purchased the 265W from PC world Galway for 250 Euro. I too have the same problem as it does not recognise the new part of the motorway between Athlone and Tullamore. I updated the firmware and sent a email to Garmin.

Mail

Hi, last week I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 265W. When I try to use it
    today. Some new roads eg. A motorway which was opened June 2008 is not shown on the latest maps. (Date 1/1/2009 Today) I have registered and updated the firmware today but dont think the new Motorway is present after the update. When will new Maps be available for my product and shall it be free for me to obtain an update?

Reply from Garmin

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for your email. The 2009 update was released in October 2008
    so it would not have the road created in June included as the
    information is collected around 6 months before the release as it takes
    time to transfer them in to a format compatible with satellite
    navigation. We do not have a release date for the next update just yet.
    To check for updates please log into your account and click on myMaps,
    then Manage Maps and available updates will be listed here. All updates
    are chargeable.

Many thanks.

// So guess im stuck with the out of date 2008/2009 Map as im not going to pay for an update !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Emmerly

Okay just checked version of software it says City Navigator Europe NT 2009. I guess it's unlikely that there'll be a further update within 60 days.

Settings are already using fastest route.

Just updated firmware too. Is it recommended to include all available updates or just choose fixes which you think are relevant?

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just the relevent ones tbh, no need for all the language packs etc, yeah you have the latest maps for the unit, happy motoring!!!

MC

Advertisement