Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed Approach

• 12-01-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Was flying back from Heathrow on Sunday afternoon and scheduled to land at approx 17,30 however the pilot carried out a missed approach procedure and flew to Belfast.

Dublin appeared to suffer the worst from the high winds on Sunday. Is anybody else aware of other missed approaches or go-around on Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

well now that you mention it..Apparently it was too bad to get to EINN for this chap, so diverted to Stansted apparently.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4952

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

alentejo wrote: »
    Was flying back from Heathrow on Sunday afternoon and scheduled to land at approx 17,30 however the pilot carried out a missed approach procedure and flew to Belfast.

Dublin appeared to suffer the worst from the high winds on Sunday. Is anybody else aware of other missed approaches or go-around on Sunday.
    Am assuming you were on EI169. It and at least 2 others EI aircraft diverted to BFS around that time. I had got in a bit earlier at 1630. My crew ended up replacing the crew on your flight on a later DUB-LHR flight. We arrived back from LHR at approx 1120PM. As we approached DUB the aircraft in front of us carried out a missed approach, as did 2 others while we were disembarking at the A gates.

The winds always make for interesting appraoches in late Dec/early Jan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I was on FR9907 from Pisa to Dublin on Sunday night (19:25 arrival) and the pilot did a go around but got down second time around. All I was thinking when he went back up was please don't divert to somewhere like Shannon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

BrianD wrote: »
    All I was thinking when he went back up was please don't divert to somewhere like Shannon!!

My parents were on a flight from Spain a few years back and it diverted to shannon on the run into Dublin. The aul fella started to complain to the passenger next to him about having to now get a bus from Shannon to Dublin. Turned out that the passenger beside him lived beside Shannon airport and had flown from Dublin because of the price of the flight! Lucky him, you would think.. Too bad his car was in the long term car park at DUB tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i flew in with EI from LGW on sunday night about 22.10,he got it down in one run but it was well hairy on the way in. i was wondering who national geographic were going to get to play me in the next series of air crash investigation!!!:D

• Advertisement

Happened on a Delta flight inbound on one of the mornings (the windy one)

Ended up landing on 16 as opposed to the big 'un. (didn't think you could get a heavy like that onto one, but there you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed you can, happens regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

alentejo wrote: »

Would it not be better to try to land on one of the three other runways in Dublin rather than flying all the way to Belfast?

You pick the most favourable runway due to wind direction or atc do.

if that doesn't do the trick it's unlikely the others will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I was on FR1185 Gatwick to Shannon last night 11pm approx, 30 seconds from landing and the pilot aborts due to a power blackout with lights on the runway and the rest of the airport it seems.
    5 - 10 minute turn around and we were on approach again once the power was back up.
    Freaked a good few people out on board, when the pilot increased speed all of a sudden.

Those fly boys cracked me up with the vigor of incident report filling on landing.

• Advertisement

fade2che wrote: »
    .............30 seconds from landing and the pilot aborts .................

Cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Reoil wrote: »
    Would it not be better to try to land on one of the three other runways in Dublin rather than flying all the way to Belfast?

Belfast is only about 70miles from Dublin, so is at most 20 minutes flying time

RWY11/29 is closed at Dublin so theres a choice between 10/28 and 16/34 - 10/28 being the preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

Pilots would always choose an alternative airport when planning any scheduled flight. Factors would include distance and the forecast weather at the alternative airport.

At DUB there are only 2 runways (10/28 and 16/34) They can each be used from both directions so there are in fact 4 possible approach routes to land at Dublin. The numerical names refer to the facing of the runway. 00 being true north,09 being due East,18 being due south and 27 being due west. (Perhaps a more astute/educated aviator can correct me on that?)

You always land or take off into the wind. Hence the westerly route is the most common in Dublin as the winds are mostly fromt the west. So out of 4 possible apporaches only one is in use at any particular time. Sometimes this can change in a short period of time if the wind changes direction.

On windy days like last weekend you try to land twice on the runway in use,if you are unsuccessful you head to an alternate airport to land. You don't loiter around hoping to get down a 3rd time while buning all your fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Bramble wrote: »
    At DUB there are only 2 runways (10/28 and 16/34) They can each be used from both directions so there are in fact 4 possible approach routes to land at Dublin.

Hence I said, "three other". :p
    I suppose in flight terms Dublin to Belfast isn't that far, and you could be circling for 20 minutes trying to land anyways!

You don't seem to understand the concept.

If the a/c cannot land on the BEST runway for the wind conditions it certainly cannot land on another runway even if there were 10 more of them.

That's why they divert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Not the day in question but good footage of an aborted landing into DUB from a passenger.

Pilot is a good bit off.

Just looking at the weather for tomorrow, very heavy southerly winds

nat01_wind.png?1602

Does that imply that rwy 16 will likely be in use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was on an Air France flight from Paris on Sunday, we landed about 4:30pm and the plane felt like it was being blown sideways, roughest pre landing I ever experienced, the actual landing was smooth and the pilot got a loud applause.

Hence I said, "three other". :p

In my last post I typed this:
    "You always land or take off into the wind............. So out of 4 possible apporaches only one is in use at any particular time........... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

noblestee wrote: »
    Just looking at the weather for tomorrow, very heavy southerly winds

Does that imply that rwy 16 will likely be in use?

It would yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

They're using 16 now. Winds of 50mph expected at Dublin this afternoon from the south.

ian_m wrote: »
    They're using 16 now. Winds of 50mph expected at Dublin this afternoon from the south.

Was out that way this morning. The larger transatlantic aircraft were still using 28, but everything else was using 16. Its gonna be very rough there this afternoon, but I think ill stay in my leaba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Saw no less than three go arounds at Dublin this afternoon. There were alot of spectators, not put off by the bad weather. Very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cavanmanontour

I came back to Dublin on EI-245 from Gatwick on the 11th and got a good old shaking on the approach. Just crossed the Runway threshold about to land and the Capt decided to go around.
    Two other aircraft behind us tried after we did only to go around too.
    The 3 of us diverted up to Belfast as we needed a drop fuel.
    1 Hour on the ground and we were back in the air again chuggin back to Dublin. Runways had changed in the meantime and after a good bit of rudder the Capt finally got us on the ground.
    I knew what was going on but there were a couple of loud squeeks on the 2nd approach from some of the passangers !
    Grand days craic.

You certainly didn't need to drop fuel.

Take a bit more on maybe but drop it,noooo way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cavanmanontour

"3 of us diverted up to Belfast as we needed a drop fuel."
    Sorry made a typo.............. meant to say a "drop of fuel"

Belfast seems to be the diversion Airport for EI now, used to be Snn .

makes sense I suppose, have a base there, and 2 hours down the Mway to Dublin.

Advertisement