Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV madcatz control pad - where to buy in Ireland?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

fightpad.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5128370/ces-09-hands-on-with-mad-catzs-sfiv-fightstick--fightpad

As many of you fighting game fans probably know, these pads and sticks will be out very soon.

Personally, I'm highly interested in the controllers.But I'm starting to worry that I wont be able to get my hands on them and that they'll sell out before I do.

Anyone know what the story is with them for buying over here? Will they even be in any shops?

Also, I do my gaming on the PC and currently use a PS3 pad for SF3 3rd strike.

Which one of these would be better to get though in terms of using it on the PC? The 360 one or the PS3?

I'm thinking of buying 2 so I may get one of each just incase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Am also looking to get a fightpad for use on the PC and (perhaps) taking over to friends to 'throw down'. Trying to decide on whether to get a PS3 or 360 one. What extras, if any, does the PS3 controller require for use on PC?

Only place I've seen the controller for sale in Europe is Amazon.co.uk - they don't ship electricals to Eire though.

Looks like we have to wait until closer to the release date for answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

The only difference they mention in the article is that the ps3 one is wireless and the x360 one is wired. So if your pc has bluetooth I guess the ps3 pad will work. If not the 360 wired usb one should work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

No.

To use a PS3 pad on your PC you have to use a USB wire, along with a little program you must run each time you wanna use the pad.

This is why I'm asking. If I buy the 360 one, will it just work straight away on my pc with no extra stuff?

Its a while yet before SFIV will be on the PC but I wanna buy these pads asap as I'm worried they'll end up like the saturn pads and impossible to find.

Any way to pre-order them in a shop or anything?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Think I would have to go with the stick version myself but I have not decided weither this or a HRAP 3 is better yet. But I need one compatable with both PC and PS3.

Cunny where do you play your games on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

youre all gonna get destroyed online if you use pads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Placebo wrote: »

:pac:

Anyways, the wired 360 controllers are plug and play compatible with PC so I'd say your best bet is to buy the 360 version of the Fight Pad. I'm gonna order my Tournament Edition Stick from Play-Asia (If there is some left in stock) so I guess you could try pre-order it from there too.

we will see ;)
    might have to mod my stick and to save

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Please explain the theory behind this, I'd get destroyed anyways. But id like to know why Joysticks..i presume you mean...are infinitely better

There just give better control than a joypad does. I could not imagine using a pad in a 2D fighting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Please explain the theory behind this, I'd get destroyed anyways. But id like to know why Joysticks..i presume you mean...are infinitely better

Sticks are just the best. I'd say that pads are suited to people who haven't really had experience playing FG's in arcades and to casual players, pads are so easy to get the hang of using too so they just stick to using pads (Not that I care if you use a pad, It's just my preference to use a stick) Sticks on the other hand, take time, lots of it.

Anyway, SFIV online better have a good netcode or I won't even bother to play it online much. Maybe we'll have an offline gathering/tournament too when the game is released?!

• Advertisement

Well, firstly I personally find the 360 controller useless for fighting games, its so hard to do the infamous QFC motion, which is what most of SF games are based around.

Secondly, when it comes to excellent execution and patience, pad holders [probably only me] tend to hold on to buttons, i.e back/forward button, a bad habbit learned from other games that require such tactics racing/fps etc. So when it cames to games like SF3 where in order to execute a parry you have to press forward and let the joystick go to its neutral position, it just came across too hard.

Its really just personal preference but from what i know, all the beasts from the shoryuken forums are restless about this game and when its released, there will be a mass amount of frustration for alot of people [including me :D]

I started playing SF3 on pad and it was very fustrating, specially executing moves when the player goes to the other side
    so i transitioned to stick [which takes a while] and things got much easier.

sf_iii_ss.gif

P.s: im more excited about Battle Fantasia :D

Some random comment on Kotaku (great source, I know) suggested that the PS3 controller would not communicate via bluetooth but, instead, uses an RF wireless USB dongle.

Anyone know this to be true... and where 'RF' ranks in wireless standards?
    SeantheMan wrote: »

I don't feel anyone has logically explained why this would be true, yet. Beyond saying that all the best players just use sticks anyway, I don't see why one method would be superior to the other.

I'm sure I will also get destroyed unless playing with friend so I have no delusions of grandeur... or competence. :D

think of it as an FPS game with mouse/keyboard vs controller. I'm sure theres some halo enthusiast that are great but when it comes to counterstrike....
    Design/ergonomics = ease

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

A stick is not better than a pad. Just use whatever you feel comfortable with. Don't mind what anybody says.

As far as those Madcatz peripherals go I can't imagine they'll be found anywhere over here. I think online is the best bet.

think of it as an FPS game with mouse/keyboard vs controller. I'm sure theres some halo enthusiast that are great but when it comes to counterstrike....
    Design/ergonomics = ease

That doesn't wash with me. You can move from one target to another more quickly with a mouse than with a controller in a fps - I think your analogy is reaching a bit tbh.

Designs/ergonomics = personal preference in this instance.

As far as I'm aware all the Pro's use joysticks as opposed to pads so they must have there reasons. Piano inputs strike me as something that would be far easiar to do on an arcade pad than joypad.

Azza wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware all the Pro's use joysticks as opposed to pads so they must have there reasons.
    Is that actually true, or just a misconception? If true, it could be due to the lack of options should they want to play the arcade machine competitively. Could have been indoctrinated from an early age to use the stick.
    Piano inputs strike me as something that would be far easiar to do on an arcade pad than joypad.

Yeah, maybe. Do you know the longest 'string' to input for a move? I thought Akuma's raging demon/instant hell murder was the longest but stand to be corrected. :confused:

I can do the Raging Demon perfectly fine on a pad. Not a problem at all.

The pros use sticks because these pros are all American or Japanese and all learn to play SF in arcades where they use, yup you guessed it, arcade sticks. Like I said, just use what you feel comfortable with/what you're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I always got the impression that the idea of getting a stick was to re-live the arcade days. I never played in the arcade, I played on consoles. So pad it is for me.

And Placebo, I've learned 3s online and hell I've played you many a time back when mame was used. All I use is a pad. If I get destroyed , its not cause of the pad, its cause the player is better then I am.
    Azza wrote: »
    Think I would have to go with the stick version myself but I have not decided weither this or a HRAP 3 is better yet. But I need one compatable with both PC and PS3.

Cunny where do you play your games on PC?

I play on 2Df

www.2dfighter.com

well i would find it impossible to do a move such as high jump ex Hurricane Kick[Ken] across the screen with those mad cat pads. Thats just me then...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The sticks allow better and more fluid movement than a d-pad. It's pretty much essential when you start taking your game to the top tier level. I'll probably get the sticks if I can afford them but I've totally lost my nack with them so will probably have to relearn how to use them and get used to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd love to get the Tournament Edition, but am waiting to read a review on the d-pad on the pad. If it gets an excellent review, I'll probably stick to that instead.

Any of you guys play on GGPO either ST or 3S. I'd be up for a few games if you want, have not used 2df.

il go on GGPO tonight as 'anti-girl', have not played in a while.
    Not too familiar with 2DF's interface, seems a bit awkward.

I have the SF Anniversary stick and HRAP2, such a difference, found myself playing much better with HRAP2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It seems you can pre-order them here later today. But according to Eurogamer, they are limited, so I would hurry.

Benzino wrote: »
    It seems you can pre-order them here later today. But according to Eurogamer, they are limited, so I would hurry.

That site wont deliver to the Reupublic of Ireland :/

Also AFAIK its only the Tournament Edition sticks that are limited edition. The regular ones aren't limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Play.com have the Madcatz sticks, but no sign of the pads. Amazon.co.uk have the pads but afaik they don't deliver electronic goods to Ireland.

Play.com are ridiculous. They're charging €90 for the PS3 collectors edition game. I know they like to mark up a few euros but bloody hell thats an extra €20-25 on top of what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

available on madcatz website now. way too expensive for the tournament edition. £150. think ill wait for play to get the normal edition of the stick and get it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Creature wrote: »
    Play.com are ridiculous. They're charging €90 for the PS3 collectors edition game. I know they like to mark up a few euros but bloody hell thats an extra €20-25 on top of what it should be.
    That's the price of it everywhere afaik.

Advertisement