Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV madcatz control pad - where to buy in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

L31mr0d wrote: »
    For a beginners stick what should I go for? The Hori one that's in game?

Sure, just don't expect it to last much longer than six months without some issues. I'm still using mine though, despite my buttons starting to go a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How many times must I say this?
    PS3 users:
    USB Saturn pad, eBay, NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    USB Saturn pad, eBay, NOW.

yeah I was considering that, but had heard that the majority of the ones on ebay are just bootlegs. Know where I could get one and be guaranteed it's official?

I just find the D-Pad too "floaty", like its raised too high like an analogue stick, it makes pulling off Chun-Li's and M.Bison's Ultras and Supers near impossible, in fact I've only pulled them off by fluke on a couple of occasions.

I've been in the training with the input display on and when rolling from left to right, it always seems to roll up of down into a jump or crouch.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Waiting on my new fightstick to arrive so I can stop using this cheapo hori stick and can get down to some serious practising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah I was considering that, but had heard that the majority of the ones on ebay are just bootlegs. Know where I could get one and be guaranteed it's official?

I just find the D-Pad too "floaty", like its raised too high like an analogue stick, it makes pulling off Chun-Li's and M.Bison's Ultras and Supers near impossible, in fact I've only pulled them off by fluke on a couple of occasions.

I've been in the training with the input display on and when rolling from left to right, it always seems to roll up of down into a jump or crouch.

If you are looking for a real saturn pad I can tell you where I got my saturn. The site looks a little dodgy but I can vouch for the guy. That is if you are looking for a real saturn pad to use a converter with. Absolutely fantastic joypad, you would swear it was made just for these games.

• Advertisement

Me & all my workmates have the "bootleg" Saturn pads, and trust me: it is -- 99% -- the same as a legit Saturn pad (right down to the PCB), which hasn't been produced since 2004/5, and Sega won't get up off their asses to do it again.

Trust me: get this bootleg; it is quite simply the best pad available.

Slightly on-topic, I also saw a post on SRK from a guy who bought a bootleg PS2 pad, which he found performed miles better than an official one. In his own words: "it's like it's been built & designed by fighting game enthusiasts!".
    Linky
    Dont' write off bootlegs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'll look into this if the fightsticks dont become available within the next month or so. Kinda have my heart set on one :)

IMHO, an SE Fightstick, modded with a Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-33/40/56 + arcade buttons would be only BARELY below a full-on TE stick.
    One plus point: MUCH easier to carry around with you!

Quick question, does a pad exist that has all 8 buttons on the face and no shoulder buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Why would you need that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have easy access to the 3x punch and 3x kick buttons since the shoulder buttons on the pads aren't the may west. I'm not sure that there are any. I only got my pad today but I can see a problem with the shoulder buttons. However I'm going to use it like I do my saturn pad and use three fingers to hover over the buttons. Hopefully the ultras aren't too tough to pull off like that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have easy access to the 3x punch and 3x kick buttons since the shoulder buttons on the pads aren't the may west.

yeah I've been looking around google but can't find any with 8 face buttons. I suppose if you want 8 face buttons, you'll also be wanting a stick instead of a D-Pad :(

The left shoulder is a pain if needed when pulling off ultras, I'll usually just switch between 3xK and 3xP on the right shoulder depending on which is needed for the ultra of the character I'm playing with.

I've never heard of an 8-face-button pad -- don't think any manufacturer was ever brave enough to make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I've never heard of an 8-face-button pad -- don't think any manufacturer was ever brave enough to make it!

Maybe Gillette will make one.

Witness the ultimate Street Fighter pad:

jpjag.jpg

Right have been playing all evening with my new fightpad. I have to say it's a massive improvement over the standard 360 and PS3 controllers. However whoever said it was better than the Saturn joypads is lying through their teeth, it isn't a patch on them. The saturn pad is perfect to use from when you pick it up with no learning curve. I've a few issues with the fightpad.

Firstly I don't like floating d-pads. The d-pad resting on top of four direction buttons is the best way and is what the saturn, megadrive and nintendo consoles use. However this is a remarkable floating d-pad although not perfect. If you want to see how wrong a floating d-pad can go just look at the stock 360 pad.

The pad took about 20 minutes to break in. I couldn't pull off a haduoken motion reliably until after 20 minutes. There's also a bit of a learning curve it it.

Charge characters are tough to get used to. You improve with using them over time but ultras which use the input like chun-li take some getting used to to get them off reliably but I think I'm going to get much better with practice. Ultras like guiles and vegas are surprisingly easy with the fightpad and I'll only need a bit more practice to pull them off reliably.

Still the game is at least playable now and will be a lot better when I get used to it. Just wish I had the money for a stick.

I'd agree with you on the D-Pad, takes some getting used to. I still haven't managed to get chun-li's or M.Bisons charge ultras down 100%, I'd say 7 times out of 10 I'll fluff them. Vegas and Guiles I still need a lot more practice on.

How are you finding the wireless connection? How far are you sitting from the transceiver?

I'm thinking about selling mine now actually. I was going to send it back, but I don't actually think there is anything wrong with it so I don't want gameseek charging me to test it and then just sending it back to me.

Was considering getting the saturn pad but I think I'd like to try out a stick. For around €60, what would be a good starting stick that's pretty durable and decent enough? Who was it here that said they modded sticks? Care to give me a quote :p

I'm using a wired 360 pad.

I'm using a wired 360 pad.

:confused: ok slight confusion, so you don't have the wireless madcatz fightpad, which pad do you have?

The 360 one isn't wireless. If you want to make a 360 wireless pad you have to pay an extortionist fee to MS for their licensed technology. For the PS3 it just uses bluetooth so it doesn't cost anything. Madcatz were just keeping the costs down I'd say. It's fine though the cable is really long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anyone been able to pick up a Hori fightstick in a bricks an mortars lately?
    Pulling off charge ultras on a pad with any consistency is beyond my fingers abilities it would seem.

Yeah I got one in Gamestop to hold me over until my mad cat stick arrives.

Playing on a PS3 pad was just too annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Pray tell which Gamestop Azza?

Athlone.

For the PS3 it just uses bluetooth so it doesn't cost anything.

I'd love it to be bluetooth, but it actually uses a separate 2.4Ghz wireless dongle, which don't have the best range. I don't know why they couldn't of made the controller to sync with the PS3's bluetooth.

As most wireless internet devices use 2.4Ghz ISM, and as I'm in an area where everyone has wireless internet (i've turned mine off) I'd say the device is being interfered with. Its happened before with a logitech keyboard I had that used the same technology. I'm actually jealous of your trouble free wired controller now, lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

The Fightstick (standard not TE) seems to be in stock at gameshark.net for both PS3 and 360 if it's of use to anyone.

They only deliver to the UK afaik

WTH, amazon are now selling these pads £69.99??? They've doubled in price. I got mine from gameseek for £34.99 a few weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catz-Wireless-Street-Fighter-FightPad/dp/B001M1Z9ZW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1238065288&sr=1-7

put my controller up on adverts if anyones interested. Think I'm going to try out a stick controller, if that doesn't work I'll just accept I'm crap at 2D fighters and go back to FPS's, lol.

Any recommendations for a stick that would be pretty durable? Don't want to get one that will break after a few months of abuse

Hori Real Arcade Pro.

Can't go wrong with a HRAP; and you'll always find a buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stick is back in http://store.gameshark.net/sfiv/sfiv_fs_xbox.htm. Shame they don't ship to Ireland.

Advertisement