Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My own little retro thread.

• 12-01-2009 11:32pm

Well I just thought I'd share my gaming retro memories with everyone!

To begin, the first computer we had in the house was a K-64 tape drive machine (a knock off of the C-64, I think). I was only about five, so it was probably around 1984.

The only game I remember was "Chucky Egg".

Fast forward a couple of years, when I was about thirteen we got our first PC, a Wang 386 SX - with 2 MG of RAM and a 40 MG hard drive. (It was like the Pentium 4 quad core processor of it's day!).

I was duly given five MG in which to put games, but that didn't bother me, as most games came on disc.

My first ever PC game was "LHX attack chopper" (which some some reason I remember being called "Lynx Attack chopper";).
    Other favourites included:
    "Prince of Persia",
    "Flashback",
    "Eye of the Beholder"(1 & 2),
    "Dune 2",
    "X-Wing",
    "Syndicate",
    and the one that all myself and my friends played that nearly ended friendships, "VGA Planets". :D

I eventually got a better computer ('bout 1996-97) all of my own, and filled it with games like "Duke Nukem 3d" (the original was also a fav!), "Quake", "Terminal Velocity", and one Doom clone I don't remember the name of (you could have a literal "God mode" though, where you became God, and fired off some kind of energy ball. Also there was "Dog mode!";)

Good days, the golden era of gaming!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Chuckie Egg, great game, first played it on the BBC and later on the Speccy, nice little platformer, a lot of fans of that one around here.
    LHX was a very good chopper sim on the Megadrive and PC, I had the Megadrive version, awkward to play due to the amiunt of button presses required to do anything, but great once mastered.
    I, too, had a PC for gaming back then, I was a Quake junkie, but only single player, the 1st two were great for that, also had Descent and Duke 3D.
    I used to really enjoy Mechwarrior II and III, very good indeed, most mech games since seem a little disappointing, bar Steel Battalion!

If that age of gaming is still your cup of tea an awful lot of the games you mentioned can still be played on a modern PC via DOSBOX, and for the games themselves check out abandonware sites or one like this
    http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/

Thanks Ciderman,
    Must check it out - I've been on these old games sites before, but not in a couple of years. Had forgotten all about them, to be honest. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My first was a C64...cant remember exactly but i think i was still in national school so it would have been before 1988. i progressed to secondary school and got an amiga 500 for christmas (1990 i think....whatever pack had back to the future in it) and soon after upgraded to 1MB!!! of ram. funny that i cant really remember many of my C64 games but could never forget on the amiga:

TV sports basketball
    Wings
    Rocket Ranger
    North & South
    Chase HQ
    Gods
    Flashback
    Xenon II

and many more. I also discovered sampling and music around this time, getting the technosound turbo sampler and octomed and sampling, writing and sequencing my own little tunes and remixes. in fact i became a bit popular in school for remixing the prodigy!

I then discovered real instruments and left gaming behind for most of my college years/20's owning a PS2 (still have) gamecube (selling it on adverts right now!) and xbox which i modded for XBMC recently. these consoles never saw much action, bought maybe 2 games each for them (really only bought the PS2 as a dvd player)

so now i'm in my 30's, dreams of being a rockstar gone, married etc etc and i win an xbox 360 and guitar hero world tour pack, the wife buys me fallout 3 and GOW2 for xmas* and i'm a gamer again.

I'm now considering my first HDTV as my CRT is not cutting it for games! :D

(*shes regretting it and threatening divorce by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

thats cool

Congrats on the X-Box, 120!

The only way I've found to appease the wife is to get her a "gender neutral" game (try Viva Pinata, or download Tetris from the Marketplace).

The X-Box is truly a great gaming platform, you should take a look at the X-Box forum.

For the sake of the Retro forum, you can also download loads of old school games from the X-Box market place, e.g. Doom, Frogger, Pac-Man, etc.

My friend had an Amiga 500, that brings me back - many school days playing the likes of Golden Axe on it.

For those of you who care, I remembered the name of that mad FPS with Dog Mode, it was called "Rise of the Triad". Think Doom mixed with Commander Keen! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No appeasing mine, although we had an odd conversation today where she expressed a desire to play Endless Ocean on the Wii!
    And she only saw me play that 'cause I wanted her to hear the Irish music during the titles!
    She never ceases to amaze/surprise/frighten me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

so now i'm in my 30's, dreams of being a rockstar gone, married etc etc and i win an xbox 360 and guitar hero world tour pack, the wife buys me fallout 3 and GOW2 for xmas* and i'm a gamer again.

I'm now considering my first HDTV as my CRT is not cutting it for games! :D

(*shes regretting it and threatening divorce by the way)

Wives come and go, great games last forever :D:D

Advertisement