Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Ring Eircom If...

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

You are experience absolutely terrible broadband speeds in whatever area you live in from roughly 6pm-12am almost EVERYDAY. Before ringing, please do a few speed tests here before the decrease in broadband speed and then when the decrease in broadband speed occurs:
    http://speedtest.smarttelecom.ie and tell them your results.

If you live around the middle of Ireland and the west you are probably experiencing this. I live in Offaly and from my research it appears to me that this only occurs in counties around Offaly. So if you have this problem then:

(Have your account details ready)

PLEASE RING EIRCOM'S COMPLAINT NUMBER ON (1800 200 481).

TELL THEM YOU ARE NOT RECEIVING ACCEPTABLE BROADBAND FROM ROUGHLY 6PM-12AM ALMOST EVERYDAY FOR THE PAST 2-3 MONTHS.

TELL THEM IT IS NOT A PROBLEM CAUSED BY YOUR COMPUTER(S) OR ROUTER AS THE DECREASE IN SPEED ONLY OCCURS ROUGHLY FROM 6PM-12AM EVERYDAY.

ALSO SAY THAT YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY ALL OF EIRCOM CUSTOMERS DO NOT EXPERIENCE. (Add that you do not think it is contention as it wasn't even remotely bad during the summer which would be a time of high service use).

STATE THAT YOU KNOW LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE FROM AROUND YOUR AREA EXPERIENCING THE EXACT SAME SPEED DECREASE FROM ROUGHLY 6PM-12AM NEARLY EVERYDAY FOR THE PAST 2-3 MONTHS.

IF THIS DOESN'T RESULT IN ANY IMPROVEMENT RING BACK AND SAY THAT YOU RANG UP AND ISSUED A COMPLAINT ALREADY AND IF YOUR SERVICE DOES NOT IMPROVE THEN YOU WILL CONSIDER EITHER SWITCHING TO ANOTHER SERVICE SUCH AS BT OR UPC (Name a company) OR TAKING LEGAL ACTION.

Note:
    I am an Eircom user and am tired of this frustratingly slow broadband service during the last 2-3months. Please ring and be adamant. Don't let them suggest problems and if they say to contact Technical Support it just shows how much of a disgrace they are.

Thankyou.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Should we shout too?! :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

SOLACY wrote: »
    IF THIS DOESN'T RESULT IN ANY IMPROVEMENT RING BACK AND SAY THAT YOU RANG UP AND ISSUED A COMPLAINT ALREADY AND IF YOUR SERVICE DOES NOT IMPROVE THEN YOU WILL CONSIDER EITHER SWITCHING TO ANOTHER SERVICE SUCH AS BT OR UPC (Name a company) OR TAKING LEGAL ACTION.

If the slow down is only happening from 6-12PM, then you're pretty much guaranteed it's contention. Regardless of which, a contention ration of 24:1 or 48:1, and their minimum broadband requirement of 256kbps, gives them an awful lot of leeway when it comes to speed variations.

Threatening legal action will likely end the call in fits of laughter. By all means, complain about poor service, but don't go off on one, giving them an excuse to ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I live in Offaly and from my research it appears to me that this only occurs in counties around Offaly.

Ha Ha Eircom dont like brown cowen and are taking it out on the other Biffo's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SOLACY

jor el wrote: »
    If the slow down is only happening from 6-12PM, then you're pretty much guaranteed it's contention. Regardless of which, a contention ration of 24:1 or 48:1, and their minimum broadband requirement of 256kbps, gives them an awful lot of leeway when it comes to speed variations.

Yep, that's right, contention, yet a lot of Eircom users don't get a major decrease in speeds. I'm pretty sure I'm on the Dublin server and if alot of people in Dublin aren't having problems then how can it be contention if we're on the same server?

You'd want to be mentally challenged to think it's contention.
    Did you ever think of Eircom using this as a cover up to reduce costs seeing as the cost of things in relation to broadband maintenance are pretty high in proportion to what they would like to make?

And tell me how else you are meant to solve something apart from switching service or using legal action if they don't give you an improvement?

Think before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Yep, that's right, contention, yet a lot of Eircom users don't get a major decrease in speeds. I'm pretty sure I'm on the Dublin server and if alot of people in Dublin aren't having problems then how can it be contention if we're on the same server?

You'd want to be mentally challenged to think it's contention.
    Did you ever think of Eircom using this as a cover up to reduce costs seeing as the cost of things in relation to broadband maintenance are pretty high in proportion to what they would like to make?

And tell me how else you are meant to solve something apart from switching service or using legal action if they don't give you an improvement?

Think before you post.

maybe you pissed off the wrong eircom person with your charming personality

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My broadband doesn't slow down although I've found regularly these days youtube becomes unuseable for me on eircon, I wonder are they throttling youtube traffic? All speedtests show 5+meg which would be normal, also the BBC video player never seems to work anymore for me... Literly doesnt buffer at all, and it used to work... :P

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SOLACY

bounty wrote: »
    maybe you pissed off the wrong eircom person with your charming personality
    Why even post? Lol.
    At least I'm trying to do something about this crappy service. That's why Eircom are giving us crap speeds, because they can, because people like you complain but don't do anything about it.

And the above post states that it isn't likely contention.

OP, I'd suggest you go off and do some reading as to how t'internet works.

Suggest you start here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Why even post? Lol.
    At least I'm trying to do something about this crappy service. That's why Eircom are giving us crap speeds, because they can, because people like you complain but don't do anything about it.

I'd like to contend that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Why even post? Lol.

I think you need to take a deep breath, and calm down kid. No one cares about the problems of the obnoxious.

And by the way, I've got 20mb UPC :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

this is a really big problem in the midlands are especially for online gaming. Its mainly the latency that gets worse and would not really be noticed by your average pc user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Think before you post.

Take your own advice.

The TOS of the contract you agree too state that the service can be from 160 upwards depending on a plethora of factions. You can ring and complain and most likely something can (and will be done) but threatening legal action is laughable. You can not run to a lawyer the second you don't get something you're not happy with. By all means change providers if the service is unacceptable, ask NICELY to be comped for the previous few months and you may be given a month free (as long as you do this to complaints and not tech support).

The attitude you have is laughable, your approach to how the service is works is even more laughable. Call and complain if you're not happy, be nice and something may be done. But calling up and screaming your head off will not help. If anything it'll make the person on the phone LESS inclined to help you.

And yoyo - Eircom don't throttle traffic, is it all players like dailymotion etc or just youtube and the bbc? Could be a multiple of issues from browser settings to firewall to just a bad speed at the time.

tbf to solacy , i know hes been calling up for months and so have i and numerous other people in the midlands area and nothing has been done about the poor service, everyday from 6-11 or 12 xbox live becomes unplayable due to the latency of the connection.

what package are you on from Eircom neil? There are reported latency problems with the 7mb package.

What was your connection like over christmas during the day, not 6-12? When a lot of people would be on holidays etc.

i'm on the 3mb package and so is solacy it was ok during the day at xmas basically the same as it is now, you sometimes get the odd day where its not as bad but they are very rare now

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

neilk32 wrote: »
    i'm on the 3mb package and so is solacy it was ok during the day at xmas basically the same as it is now, you sometimes get the odd day where its not as bad but they are very rare now

Its clearly a contention issue so. The contention ratio on the 7mb package is 24:1 which might be worth a shot if your line can handle it.

If your really not happy switching providers would have a much greater impact compared to shuting at customer care agents :rolleyes: From my experience though Eircom have the best reputation when compared with resellers and switching providers could potentialy make things worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Smart have a great 3mb connection without contention....had it for 2 years before moving house.

Definitely worth switching to if you're in an area in which they're available.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From reading various post on here it does seem to happen from time to time that performance decreases at a particular exchange due to additional new customers being connected and eventually Eircom put in additional resources (for want of the proper technical term).

Rather than ranting at CSOs I suggest an old fashioned letter to the Eircom CEO explaining the situation in courteous terms of course. There have been several instances on here of such a letter working wonders and at least it is better than ranting here.

Why even post? Lol.

There is a formal complaints procedure via Comreg have you tried that?

Also if you are in the midlands how can you claim that you are on Dublin server?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you follow these instructions nobody will want to help you, if you have speed issues you need to approach it logically and without coming across as a git or muppet.
    Threatening legal action in anyway will just make people laugh tbh

SOLACY, if you post another post all caps I'm not even going to bother editing it I'm just going to delete it.
    ITS CONSIDERING SHOUTING AND IS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO READ!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Solacy, it is contention. Its very simple. The times you described are the peak hours. Do as Cabaal says and approach it logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

This is good for a 3MB line, right?

389423432.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

good to see I'm not alone on this one I'm in the midlands and from about 6:30pm - 12:30 my ping goes from about 100 to 870 . I'm not on the 3mb connection I'm currently on BT option 3.

its been doing my head in for the last while

Heres my connection before it starts to mess up 389523726.png

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ha Ha Eircom dont like brown cowen and are taking it out on the other Biffo's :D

Brown Cowen :) Ilike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

enix wrote: »
    good to see I'm not alone on this one I'm in the midlands and from about 6:30pm - 12:30 my ping goes from about 100 to 870 . I'm not on the 3mb connection I'm currently on BT option 3.

its been doing my head in for the last while

Pings of 870? You little pussy, My pings are what you call proper pings :pac:

384644492.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol at people ranting at the op, i understand his frustration 100%

nuxxx wrote: »
    lol at people ranting at the op, i understand his frustration 100%

''Understanding'' ''compassion'' 'rapport' etc. are for the personal issues forum.

The bb forum is more about practicalities. The op is not helping himself in any way in the manner of his posting - he has been extremely offensive to people attempting to point him in the right direction (claiming that someone who pointed out that the problem is 'contention' is 'mentally challenged' for example)

Additionally the op has demonstrated in several posts that he has not got the faintest clue as to how bb works so to dismiss peoples' suggestions as to the likely cause of the problem in such dismissive a manner is truly mind boggling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hows this for crappy overcontended shítty service, this is supposed to be up to 7.6mbit

389676865.png

When I ring to complain I get ran around in circles.

• Advertisement

at least xbox live would be playable with them pings check mine out now ffs
    389682029.png

Advertisement