Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Ring Eircom If...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hows this for crappy overcontended shítty service, this is supposed to be up to 7.6mbit

389676865.png

When I ring to complain I get ran around in circles.

What speed is the modem syncing at? What are your line stats? Are you using wireless or ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

this is mine, and i live in the country with only a few house around. And most of the ppl around are aged. .. tut tut eircom... they are up to some thing!!!

389706318.png

edit,,, I am on a 3mb line,
    a tracert gives me this

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert -h 10 www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.251.197]
    over a maximum of 10 hops:

1 3 ms 5 ms 3 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 54 ms 54 ms 54 ms b-ras1.wtd.waterford.eircom.net [159.134.155.9]

3 474 ms 459 ms 459 ms 86.43.242.70
    4 588 ms 520 ms 521 ms 83.71.115.3
    5 495 ms 522 ms 479 ms 83.245.126.93
    6 468 ms 569 ms 473 ms 212.58.238.129
    7 493 ms 577 ms 512 ms 212.58.239.58
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are wasting your breath talking to eircom or comreg on this matter.

1. Comreg only there to give info on the compliant channels. Toothless, waste of money and should be scrapped. I tried by email with them and gave up.

2. Eircom. I rang them and a techie rang me back. He got me to connect to tte router by ethernet cable only. Turn off my wireless and my firewall. And then run the speedtest on my laptop on the link to the eircom website. Then did a test via the router test page. Both came back with 700ms pings on a 3MB line with a speed of about half expected. Hmmmm, he said. Then he pinged my router from his site and declared he was getting 16ms pings. He concluded that the line and equipment was fine but there may be a problem at the exchange. 3 days later all was good with good pings for gaming of 40ms but about a month later it all went queer again and gaming is impossible. Getting accused of using a switch to avoid being shot in games and cheating.

I am actively pricing a change to UPC without their TV package and getting the 10Mb line. Eircom 3Mb with all calls included at set price is 55 per month. UPC 10Mb line with all callls included is 53 per month. I loath to deal with UPC and their known poor service and support but I have had enough.

Only thing stopping me is trying to find out if there is a 6 euro extra standalone charge per month for not taking the TV package. Also need to know how it will effect my Sky+ box when I need to keep telephone line plugged in to it. If all ok then I am switching.

Vote with your feet. It is the only thing eircom understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

dub45 wrote: »
    What speed is the modem syncing at? What are your line stats? Are you using wireless or ethernet?

Its contention, Frenchpark exchange is in dire straits, I'm on ethernet, my modems syncing @ 7.6 and I've nearly a perfect line 200m from the exchange. I get 780KB/s dl at night and early morning, in the evening its fcuked.
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 12.10 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 5.00 3.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Heres one for you, how about you stop asking the exact same questions the eircom "technicans" do as there never the reason for peoples problems since the eircom upgrade, its highly insulting to many posters, and its NOT helpful.
    ''Understanding'' ''compassion'' 'rapport' etc. are for the personal issues forum.

The bb forum is more about practicalities. The op is not helping himself in any way in the manner of his posting - he has been extremely offensive to people attempting to point him in the right direction (claiming that someone who pointed out that the problem is 'contention' is 'mentally challenged' for example)

Additionally the op has demonstrated in several posts that he has not got the faintest clue as to how bb works so to dismiss peoples' suggestions as to the likely cause of the problem in such dismissive a manner is truly mind boggling!

Hes trying strongly to get his point across as the normal methods do not work and im speaking from 3 letters posted over the past 2 years and not 1 reply, not 1 of my mannered phonecalls being taken lightly.

"Understanding" things is also important if your a moderater :) Alot of people dont have a clue about how broadband works it seems :)
    Maybe this year you`ll post a technical answer and surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

389759684.png
    389759886.png

two of my friends from birr also on the portlaoise server first is supposed to be on 3mb and second is on the 7.6mb package

389804905.png
    my speed at 11 shows a little recovery

nuxxx wrote: »
    Heres one for you, how about you stop asking the exact same questions the eircom "technicans" do as there never the reason for peoples problems since the eircom upgrade, its highly insulting to many posters, and its NOT helpful.

Line stats show in many cases the reasons for peoples' problems. And they make a very logical starting point to try and diagnose what really is the problem. And contrary to what you say stats have become even more relevant since the upgrade because increased speeds put a lot of pressure on the line.

And I cannot funderstand how anyone could find being asked for their line stats 'insulting'.

Hes trying strongly to get his point across as the normal methods do not work and im speaking from 3 letters posted over the past 2 years and not 1 reply, not 1 of my mannered phonecalls being taken lightly.

"Understanding" things is also important if your a moderater :) Alot of people dont have a clue about how broadband works it seems :)
    Maybe this year you`ll post a technical answer and surprise me.

As soon as you post a literate one and surprise me! I wonder about those ''mannered'' phonecalls too!:)

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its contention, Frenchpark exchange is in dire straits, I'm on ethernet, my modems syncing @ 7.6 and I've nearly a perfect line 200m from the exchange. I get 780KB/s dl at night and early morning, in the evening its fcuked.

You must nearly be living in the local exchange with stats like that. Would there be any way of contacting any of the local Eircom techs to see if Eircom have any early plans to deal with the situation. Failing that you should initiate the formal complaints process and yet again I would suggest sending a registered letter to the CEO of Eircom and if you could get a few signatures on it from people locally so much the better.

Line stats show in many cases the reasons for peoples' problems. And they make a very logical starting point to try and diagnose what really is the problem. And contrary to what you say stats have become even more relevant since the upgrade because increased speeds put a lot of pressure on the line.

Do bad linestats cause erratic pings?

There is 2 central routers on eircoms network seriously overloaded , 1 in central ireland and 1 in Dublin and this is accounting for ALOT of the problems from users in the east and south east regions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SOLACY

Sorry about the abusive posts everyone! But, I still stand for it not being contention though! I'm going to explain why. If you disagree with me, fair enough!

From my knowledge of how broadband works I see these reasons as logical, if I say something illogical then tell me! Someone is bound to disagree with me, but from what I understand as contention, I don't believe the decrease in speeds to be contention.

Reasons:
    1. The broadband is always bad from the exact same times, even on weekends, which as you would expect, people would stay on longer and this should cause the speeds to be slower for longer, but no, it perfectly redeems itself at 12am.

2. Up until October the broadband was absolutely perfect. The summer would have been a crazy time for broadband usage. If it's contention then Eircom must have gotten a lot of new users from the summer to October on the server I'm on!
    I'd say there's even less users everday now at peak times than there was in the summer, and yet there wasn't even a trace of latency/contention in the summer.

. Everyone I know that has been experiencing decrease in their speeds said on Christmas Day that the broadband was perfect. Seems a bit odd that on St. Stephen's day the speeds turned terrible again and still continue to be.

4. They are a business. Businesses like to make money. Nobody can really trace what broadband speeds Eircom are sending you, what you receive is a totally different story. They see this as an opportunity to make money/reduce costs. But unfortunately the majority of users do nothing about it only complain.

5. How can anyone but Eircom really prove that it is contention? Eircom could say it is but that would clearly show that they aren't a dedicated company and haven't shown any signs to improve their service so I doubt they will say it's contention.

Anyways, on their complaint page it says
    "At eircom we aim to be Ireland's leading class service provider, delivering a comprehensive range of advanced communication products to you our customer. Despite our best efforts from time to time things can go wrong."

"In the unlikely event that the level of service we provide you does not meet your expectations, it is important that we hear from you."

LOL

If you are complaining about their service and haven't called them to complain, then ring or send a letter for goodness sake! 1800 200 481!

• Advertisement

Do bad linestats cause erratic pings?

Do androids dream of electric sheep?:) They can certainly cause slow speeds and dropped connections
    There is 2 central routers on eircoms network seriously overloaded , 1 in central ireland and 1 in Dublin and this is accounting for ALOT of the problems from users in the east and south east regions

And this claim is based on....................?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Do androids dream of electric sheep?:)

Decker would agree with you there ;)

Do androids dream of electric sheep?:) They can certainly cause slow speeds and dropped connections

I was about to post that but if they were overloaded doesn't that show how ignorant Eircom are? If they are seriously overloaded doesn't that suggest that they need some upgrades? Even if they are upgrading, tell us, don't leave us complaining...

SOLACY wrote: »
    I was about to post that but if they were overloaded doesn't that show how ignorant Eircom are? If they are seriously overloaded doesn't that suggest that they need some upgrades? Even if they are upgrading, tell us, don't leave us complaining...

Please Eircom do something please..................................:)

Erratic ping times are a sign of bad congestion problems.
    For E.G my local exchange does not contain any problems but furthur along the eircom network is where the problems begin to occur

Tracerts/PingPlotter/Visual route show the exact problems on the RIPE routers, there ips, there location and contact info, iv posted these many times

I can see this thread just turning into tech problems with servers etc.

The main point is, whether it is contention, us getting bullsh*tted or Eircom being unaware of the problems, Eircom are clearly not making any effort to improve their services. The only way Eircom have to improve is if there is enough demand. Otherwise it's seen as a usable service.

Don't post back,"That costs money." Everything costs money these days, and as I see it Eircom would only lose money in the long run if they don't improve the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

I can see this thread just turning into tech problems with servers etc.

The main point is, whether it is contention, us getting bullsh*tted or Eircom being unaware of the problems, Eircom are clearly not making any effort to improve their services. The only way Eircom have to improve is if there is enough demand. Otherwise it's seen as a usable service.

Don't post back,"That costs money." Everything costs money these days, and as I see it Eircom would only lose money in the long run if they don't improve the services.

Will you lead us Solacy . . .:pac: . . .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your line sync and noise levels are required if you want any proper help from anybody on this forum that works in the industry and has experience.

and yes fluctuating SNR levels (line noise) will cause disconnections, bad pings and loss of sync etc, SNR levels can be affected by items with in your home so its extremely important you rule them out as this is the cause in the vast majority of people (going from personal experience in the industry) read the faq about physical connections - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Once you've done this recheck your line stats.

I'd say most people here have had issues with one company or another over the years but being irate, refusing to do anything and threatening legal action is not the way to get assistance from staff of any company, people just won't want to help.

Have a issues is frustrating, hell its head wrecking but if you remain civil, logical and stern about a problem you have you'll get alot further with a complaint then a shouting match.

Most of all you can't just refuse to troubleshoot a technical issue keep demanding that eircom look at their network or an engineer comes to your house, if I had a euro for every time an end user blamed the network and then the issue was found to be in their premises I'd be paying my mortgage abit easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd say most people here have had issues with one company or another over the years but being irate, refusing to do anything and threatening legal action is not the way to get assistance from staff of any company, people just won't want to help.

Because you will write down their name and they will get blamed regardless. So no one will give you nay concrete answers in that situation.
    Most of all you can't just refuse to troubleshoot a technical issue keep demanding that eircom look at their network or an engineer comes to your house, if I had a euro for every time an end user blamed the network and then the issue was found to be in their premises I'd be paying my mortgage abit easier :)

The troubleshooting has to be done or an engineer will not be sent out. Thems the rules.

And lately it is amazing how many posts on here have shown that internal wiring has been a major factor in poor performance. While I read a post in the last few days where the op was stating that the taking down of the christmas lights in the house had resulted in major improvements in bb performance.

Thats not to say that there is not a problem in the local exchange in the op's case but it does behove people to do as much as possible to diagnose the problem before resorting to ineffectual ranting.

• Advertisement

its obviously nothing got to do with internal wiring or any individuals line when everyone in the midlands is suffering from the same problem. I just hope they will be able to sort this problem out soon. these ping times are not fun :(
    390325527.png

its eircoms network a SIMPLE traceroute shows the problems

These problems occurred after the "UPGRADE"

Coincidence? I think not :(

390339892.png

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Having similar problem with Eircom about 4 miles from Kildare town.
    Modem syns at 5.2Mbits but Irish ISP test is showing less than a MBit in the evening. Pings also go up to 300 to 400ms in the evening as well.

I know there's nothing wrong with my internal wiring and my SNR is OK as well.

I tele-work one day per week and by and large its fine during the day or at least I haven't had a problem todate.

Zug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

And lately it is amazing how many posts on here have shown that internal wiring has been a major factor in poor performance. While I read a post in the last few days where the op was stating that the taking down of the christmas lights in the house had resulted in major improvements in bb performance.

Thats not to say that there is not a problem in the local exchange in the op's case but it does behove people to do as much as possible to diagnose the problem before resorting to ineffectual ranting.

That makes perfect sense in individual cases but the problem is widespread. I get perfect ping times of 50ms in Newbridge during the day on a 3Mb line but they hit over 700ms after 6pm and a drop in speeds to below 1Mb with no change in my house wiring or devices used. A constant poor ping time all day would highlight a possible end user problem but a cycling ping time has to be outside the home. As Neilk32 says it is not an isolated problem. We are not getting what we paid for. (although the legal blurb says we are)
    neilk32 wrote: »
    its obviously nothing got to do with internal wiring or any individuals line when everyone in the midlands is suffering from the same problem. I just hope they will be able to sort this problem out soon. these ping times are not fun :(
    390325527.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I know people won't want to hear this but here goes,
    Since only people complaining tend to be in the majority in this forum they tend to clump together and generalise issues.

So for example you have 5 users who have slow speed issues, one may be a line fault, three may be internal wiring issues and the last one may just not understand that their line is crap quality and will never support higher then say 512K.

But if you group them together they'll often blame an outside party such as their ISP as users don't like to think that their wiring, equipment etc may be ths cause, so while people don't want to hear this it is EXTREMELY important that you first look at your particular case first and once you rule out other causes then you look to your ISP.

This is basic logical troubleshooting, start with the easiest stuff....in this case your end :) Don't just assume your issue is part of some wider conspiracy by your ISP.

I see this type of reaction from users a fair bit and its frustrating when users just assume the cause of their issue is nothing to do with there end. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

I used to work on the help desk taking calls from BB customers like your self, and I tell ya that the person has no power to turn up yr BB speed all he/she does is log your complaint and forgets all about you as soon as you say goodbye then takes the next call

You are experience absolutely terrible broadband speeds in whatever area you live in from roughly 6pm-12am almost EVERYDAY. Before ringing, please do a few speed tests here before the decrease in broadband speed and then when the decrease in broadband speed occurs:
    http://speedtest.smarttelecom.ie and tell them your results.

If you live around the middle of Ireland and the west you are probably experiencing this. I live in Offaly and from my research it appears to me that this only occurs in counties around Offaly. So if you have this problem then:

(Have your account details ready)

PLEASE RING EIRCOM'S COMPLAINT NUMBER ON (1800 200 481).

TELL THEM YOU ARE NOT RECEIVING ACCEPTABLE BROADBAND FROM ROUGHLY 6PM-12AM ALMOST EVERYDAY FOR THE PAST 2-3 MONTHS.

TELL THEM IT IS NOT A PROBLEM CAUSED BY YOUR COMPUTER(S) OR ROUTER AS THE DECREASE IN SPEED ONLY OCCURS ROUGHLY FROM 6PM-12AM EVERYDAY.

ALSO SAY THAT YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY ALL OF EIRCOM CUSTOMERS DO NOT EXPERIENCE. (Add that you do not think it is contention as it wasn't even remotely bad during the summer which would be a time of high service use).

STATE THAT YOU KNOW LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE FROM AROUND YOUR AREA EXPERIENCING THE EXACT SAME SPEED DECREASE FROM ROUGHLY 6PM-12AM NEARLY EVERYDAY FOR THE PAST 2-3 MONTHS.

IF THIS DOESN'T RESULT IN ANY IMPROVEMENT RING BACK AND SAY THAT YOU RANG UP AND ISSUED A COMPLAINT ALREADY AND IF YOUR SERVICE DOES NOT IMPROVE THEN YOU WILL CONSIDER EITHER SWITCHING TO ANOTHER SERVICE SUCH AS BT OR UPC (Name a company) OR TAKING LEGAL ACTION.

Note:
    I am an Eircom user and am tired of this frustratingly slow broadband service during the last 2-3months. Please ring and be adamant. Don't let them suggest problems and if they say to contact Technical Support it just shows how much of a disgrace they are.

Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

... so while people don't want to hear this it is EXTREMELY important that you first look at your particular case first and once you rule out other causes then you look to your ISP.

This is basic logical troubleshooting, start with the easiest stuff....in this case your end :) Don't just assume your issue is part of some wider conspiracy by your ISP.

Cabaal I know there's nothing wrong with my internal wiring or SNR. I monitor my SNR with routerstats - it hardly varies by 1dB over 24 hours and I never get disconnects. My internal wiring is fine (I checked this as well). The problem is with Eircom and serval other people within the Kildare area have posted on this thread and another as well with the same problem e.g. good service during the day - crap service in the evening.

zugvogel wrote: »
    Cabaal I know there's nothing wrong with my internal wiring or SNR. I monitor my SNR with routerstats - it hardly varies by 1dB over 24 hours and I never get disconnects. My internal wiring is fine (I checked this as well). The problem is with Eircom and serval other people within the Kildare area have posted on this thread and another as well with the same problem e.g. good service during the day - crap service in the evening.

Fair enough, my post is not aimed at any specific user just in general as its important that people just think about other things first.

If your aware of your SNR levels etc thats fine, how have you got on dealing with Eircom tech?

To be honest I know people won't want to hear this but here goes,
    Since only people complaining tend to be in the majority in this forum they tend to clump together and generalise issues.

So for example you have 5 users who have slow speed issues, one may be a line fault, three may be internal wiring issues and the last one may just not understand that their line is crap quality and will never support higher then say 512K.

But if you group them together they'll often blame an outside party such as their ISP as users don't like to think that their wiring, equipment etc may be ths cause, so while people don't want to hear this it is EXTREMELY important that you first look at your particular case first and once you rule out other causes then you look to your ISP.

I see this type of reaction from users a fair bit and its frustrating when users just assume the cause of their issue is nothing to do with there end. :confused:

I don't think you understand the actual problem here, i will be playing a game grand at around 5 with a few mates from the area then around 5:45 or 6 we start getting incredibly bad ping times which last for 5 or 6 hours every night which is incredibly frustrating when trying to play online games. The only thing ya can actually play at these times is WoW.

• Advertisement

double post

Advertisement