Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Ring Eircom If...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be honest I know people won't want to hear this but here goes,
    Since only people complaining tend to be in the majority in this forum they tend to clump together and generalise issues.

So for example you have 5 users who have slow speed issues, one may be a line fault, three may be internal wiring issues and the last one may just not understand that their line is crap quality and will never support higher then say 512K.

But if you group them together they'll often blame an outside party such as their ISP as users don't like to think that their wiring, equipment etc may be ths cause, so while people don't want to hear this it is EXTREMELY important that you first look at your particular case first and once you rule out other causes then you look to your ISP.

This is basic logical troubleshooting, start with the easiest stuff....in this case your end :) Don't just assume your issue is part of some wider conspiracy by your ISP.

I see this type of reaction from users a fair bit and its frustrating when users just assume the cause of their issue is nothing to do with there end. :confused:

i am not going together withanyone , notice my posts

im speaking as a invidivual

im not generalizing anything.

majority of posts have nothing to do with internal wiring ETC regarding eircom since the local upgrades

an outside party is not your ISP your paying for a service

Im not assuming anything, iv studied these problems for 6 months or more, please do not defend the guilty party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

Cabaal, to highlight the problem.

I ran a straight ping to boards.ie and got average 414ms ping at 8.30pm.

I ran a trace staright after.

2ms from PC to router
    12ms to portlaoise server
    then 4 jumps and each 423,415,438,404ms to finally get to boards site

As you can see no problem in house or from router to server. Server is the issue. I monitor my SNR levels and they are the same even when I look back at my screen dumps of the time I had 2Mb line they are the same.

As I said before, we are paying for a service we are not receiving and eircom should be fixing this. I understand that not all problems can be eircoms server for everyone and some issues may reside in someones home but a quick glance in this forum on any given night shows large numbers of unhappy eircom customers with the exact same problem. Far too many to be internal wiring in the home for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Here in Meath, having serious speed issues with Eircom too. On 3mb package which was fine up to 5 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SOLACY

Cabaal, fair enough that you have addressed the issue of an internal wiring fault but I must say it's blatantly obvious that it's not. Plenty of people have been complaining about the terrible broadband service from 5pm to 12am for quite a few months so if I am receiving perfect broadband from 12am to 5pm and then it erratically decreases, it can't be an internal wiring fault. Also, if more and more users are continuing to experience it then it backs up that it's not an internal wiring fault.

Once again, please ring Eircom/send them a letter if you have been consistently experiencing a bad service from specific times. Contact details can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

zugvogel wrote: »
    Having similar problem with Eircom about 4 miles from Kildare town.
    Modem syns at 5.2Mbits but Irish ISP test is showing less than a MBit in the evening. Pings also go up to 300 to 400ms in the evening as well.

I know there's nothing wrong with my internal wiring and my SNR is OK as well.

I tele-work one day per week and by and large its fine during the day or at least I haven't had a problem todate.

Zug

Just getting ready for a days tele-working here. Pinging boards gives 40 ms and Irish ISP test gives 4.37Mbit/sec down (syncing at 5.2Mbits). By 9 pm tonight these figures will dis-improve to 400ms and less than 1MBit/sec. Its obvious Eircoms infrastucture can't cope witht the peak demands made on their network since the upgrade in this area.

And before anybody tries to tell me its my internal wiring, line stats etc etc they're fine - SNR monitored by router stats and wiring checked as well.

Zug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

I called eircom tech support last night. the tech could not understand what was going on. when i did a tracert to www.bbc.co.uk I got under 20ms to the first server(eircom Waterford) and then the second eircom server (86.43.242.70) i was getting 300+. however when i did a tracert to www.eircom.ie i got 20ms from the the Waterford server but the second server was 86.43.242.66 and i was getting under 50ms for the average. I asked did he get any other calls about high pings and he said no and that its not a known issue with tech support. He log it with engineering and who he said will sort in a week or so..

So if more ppl call eircom about it, they should fix the problem cos( in my case) is a fault with eircom not me and they have to fix it free of charge.

So if you are getting back pings and its not on ur side call eircom!!!!

Just getting ready for a days tele-working here. Pinging boards gives 40 ms and Irish ISP test gives 4.37Mbit/sec down (syncing at 5.2Mbits). By 9 pm tonight these figures will dis-improve to 400ms and less than 1MBit/sec. Its obvious Eircoms infrastucture can't cope witht the peak demands made on their network since the upgrade in this area.

And before anybody tries to tell me its my internal wiring, line stats etc etc they're fine - SNR monitored by router stats and wiring checked as well.

Zug

Just as predicted - had no problem during the day. Pings and downloads were fine all day. Just ran another Irish ISP test there now and getting 1.1Mbit/sec down and pings are back up to 450ms (SNR has been the same all day +/- 1dB).

I don't believe that Eircom don't know they've a problem with peak capcity in some areas. Surely they have some way of monitoring network load.

391747375.png

my upload and pings are atrocious

SNR 25/20

Attenuation 9/8

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

I dont get high pings but my router (brand new one) keeps dropping the wireless line or limited connectivity!

had the same problem with there very first original wireless router so decied to get there new version and its the same fudging problem and only affects wireless :mad:

dosnt happen as much with the new router but its very very annoying! :(

heres my speeds :D

391765789.png

lucky git dunne. Wish I had those stats at 9pm. your drop outs on connection across differnet routers must rule out your router and therefore has to be your PC end. Not the same problem the rest of us have though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

nuxxx wrote: »
    i am not going together withanyone , notice my posts

im speaking as a invidivual

im not generalizing anything.

majority of posts have nothing to do with internal wiring ETC regarding eircom since the local upgrades

an outside party is not your ISP your paying for a service

Im not assuming anything, iv studied these problems for 6 months or more, please do not defend the guilty party

May I also point out that your spelling and grammar is also atrocious ;)

Just a thought but why don't you just switch ISP and give the rest of us a break?

faoile@n wrote: »
    May I also point out that your spelling and grammar is also atrocious ;)

Just a thought but why don't you just switch ISP and give the rest of us a break?

Sorry ill make sure the next time i post i wont make 1 spelling mistake while typing.

When you go into Eircom tomorrow for your days work make sure you take note of each callers number and dont forget to throw it into the bin before you leave.

I.E Speak for yourself when posting on forums. And dont use the word "WE"

Thank you and good night.

p.s Switching ISP will make no difference as the other companys BT PERLICO etc just resell eircoms DSL. But being as smart as you are i thought you would no this. Not all of us can avail of NTL or Smart/Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

If I can make a suggestion....

Whilst no one here can fix this for you the best most people can do here is to get you to run through the standard troubleshooting process any engineer would do if they went to site and checked your connection.

From reading through the responses from the people with the problems after they have completed the troubleshooting it does appear that some of you, particularly the ones being routed through the waterford area, are suffering serious issues, most probably with contention.

For those that have troubleshooted their connections and kept acces logs etc. Why don't one of you start an online petition? Get your fellow users with the same problem in the same area to sign the petition and send it to Eircom. I have seen this work before for something similar, though not broadband related. It was sent to the Eircom CEO.

http://www.petitiononline.com/

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I dont get high pings but my router (brand new one) keeps dropping the wireless line or limited connectivity!

had the same problem with there very first original wireless router so decied to get there new version and its the same fudging problem and only affects wireless :mad:

dosnt happen as much with the new router but its very very annoying! :(

heres my speeds :D

391765789.png

Poor wireless performance is not your isp's problem. Have you tried changing the channel that you use? Have you checked to see if there are any neighbours' networks on the same channel? any other wireless devices in the house that could be interfering? Video senders etc etc>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BNC wrote: »
    If I can make a suggestion....

Whilst no one here can fix this for you the best most people can do here is to get you to run through the standard troubleshooting process any engineer would do if they went to site and checked your connection.

From reading through the responses from the people with the problems after they have completed the troubleshooting it does appear that some of you, particularly the ones being routed through the waterford area, are suffering serious issues, most probably with contention.

For those that have troubleshooted their connections and kept acces logs etc. Why don't one of you start an online petition? Get your fellow users with the same problem in the same area to sign the petition and send it to Eircom. I have seen this work before for something similar, though not broadband related. It was sent to the Eircom CEO.

Or else get a number of people locally to sign an old fashioned letter to the Chief Executive of Eircom and copy it to the Joe Duffy show. Potentially far more effective than ranting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

392174210.png
    think all the little kids around here or obsessed with limewire or something. this is really starting to piss me off and eircom doing nothing about it isn't helping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

nuxxx wrote: »
    Sorry ill make sure the next time i post i wont make 1 spelling mistake while typing.

When you go into Eircom tomorrow for your days work make sure you take note of each callers number and dont forget to throw it into the bin before you leave.

I.E Speak for yourself when posting on forums. And dont use the word "WE"

Thank you and good night.

p.s Switching ISP will make no difference as the other companys BT PERLICO etc just resell eircoms DSL. But being as smart as you are i thought you would no this. Not all of us can avail of NTL or Smart/Magnet.

No i didn't no this :rolleyes:

Me work for Eircom don't make me laugh. When I said we I meant everyone who posts on this forum who have had to listen to you and your online gaming problems over the past few months. If you are as rude to Eircom customer care as you are on here then I'm not surprised they don't help you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 breezor

well i have had the prob for 3 or 5 months now. and have rang over 45 times counting . to eircom technical support and complaints. with a log as long as the road from dublin to the midlands.and believe me i have heard every excuse they could give,

10 engineers.
    2 managers
    3 callouts
    and numorous technical support troubleshooters.
    2 complaints phonecalls
    3 upgrade packages
    and 1 new router
    later
    sorry guys. no luck

so would you like to hear some of the stuff iv been told ?

lets tart with TODAYS ONE....the best one yet.

*best foreign national accent possible*
    "we at eircom do not support gaming . that is down to you sir. you have to do this ,yourself. it clearly states in your contract that you could possible recieve contention ratio from time to time. there is nothing we can do about this. im sorry.

i said

"but i was told if i changed to your 7,b home professional package it would cut the contention ratio in half,and i did. and its still the same. and could u possible tell me why your contention ratio drops to normal instantly at 12am.this is not a contention problem. its a server problem"

him

"to me it sounds like contention problem and im sorry sir there is nothin at all we can do, it clearly states in your log from numourous technicians. that there is no problem on there side..."

me

him.
    "boards.ie?"
    *gives foreign national the link and gets put on hold for 10 minutes*
    "hmmm im sorry sir but my internet here does not allow me to view all websites. this is possible why i cannot view this site,"

me
    "i see..... i see i see i seee... so theres nothin i can do. and nothin you can do,

him
    "im sorry sir. thank you for calling eircom .
    goodbye

iov also heard things like . it will be fixed in 5 working days.its a fault in your line we are fixing.
    its fixed.
    we are workin on the problem
    its fixed.
    your router could be the cause,
    the servers u are using.your pc.
    your area,the weather. and of caorse."we are going to log it and pass it to the engineers"

so lets look at the facts.
    eircom denys knowing the problem exists
    hundreds of users are experiencing it
    and it happens at the same time . EVERY DAY. for the SAME people.
    this eliminates many causes.
    eg:contention and internal wiring.
    and due to my persistance with calm rational and civil calls.
    it leaves us with one option
    that is.
    wait,because there is no option. so you guys can argue and bikker all day with each other over causes and solutions.
    but my research and persistance has proved that it is all the same cause and tehre are no solutions! eircom know me by first name and i no alot of them by first name now to. (the best troubleshooter the have is a lad called JOHN.) and the worst is .. well . i don want to be racist or ANYTHING but any irish/uk/even polish and lithuanion have been helpful. in many ways.but the pakistanians and the people of that culture. just dont even wanna listn, cant say i would blame them, but .. it is there job
    why did i persist so much... i was following a dream that maybe they would solve this problem if i kept persisting.
    but the one thing they all have in common....
    none of them know the problem exists., even aftr speaking with some of them twice ... they still deny knowing of it.

SO all in all.. this is either an eircom conspiracy or were all delusional.however way you look at it. we have no hope of a solution in the near future

I rang tech support on Saturday when pings were 200ms instead of 800ms. On the phone for an hour.

Turned off router firewall. Ping via command prompt and router. He asked me to test to eircom.net and got 20ms pings. So I tested to google.ie and boards.ie and the pings were 250ms. He pings my router and gets a 20ms return. I did a trace to google and to eircom.net. 7 jumps to google and 4 to eircom. Trace to router 1ms and to server at 12ms. After that 200ms+.

After much time of me on hold and test this and that, we tested to teh DNS servers. Secondary server was 20ms but primary server was 200ms+. Ah ha I thought but he tested to same from his end and all was fine. He was confused and so was I. I am currently talking to UPC about 10Mb line and told him so including the prices. They are the advertised prices but the story is true. In the end he is sending a replacement router free of charge. I am disppointeed to see breezor got the same without change.

By the way, I got the polish dude before christmas when I called and he seems more knowledgeable than the guy I got on Saturday. I feel is aware of the issues and knows they will not be fixed. He is just buying time and with luck you will get another techie next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

breezor its nearly 100% contention, heres how it works grand during the day kids come home from school all hop on bebo, limewire, facebook etc etc putting a lot of pressure on the server , children go to bed pings start to gradually come down. On a rainy weekend children all inside on there computers lots of high pings its most definitly a contention issue imo. But with eircom being forced to monitor illegal music downloads hopefully this wil solve some of the issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BNC wrote: »

Complete waste of time to be honest, formal complaint is only way you'll get stuff done or on-line petitions are worth nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Given that most people with the problem seem to be spread out across the midlands region this was possibly the handiest way to get a number of signatures together.

I would have thought that many voices saying the same thing was better than one that could be fobbed off.

A signed complaint by many people sent to a Chief Exec has more chance of being acted on than a "potential" crank letter from a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Just saw this thread - seems like there's a fair few of you out there that have similar issues. I happen to know that eircom is busy with some transmission network upgrades at several exchanges around the country (separate to their new sites roll out) - so if those of you who are complaining can list the exact exchange that you are on, I might be able to find out from my mates in eircom when the upgrades are happening for your exchange.

I know for example that Frenchpark is supposed to be upgraded this week. Saw that one mentioned in the thread above. Castlerea and Ballyhaunis in the same region are also due to be upgraded this week. I can try to find out some more if yez give me a list.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Well I am in Dublin 15(Blanchardstown Exchange) and have noticed this occurring from late afternoon to after midnight and beyond. I have the 3MB package. When I had speed issues in the past the speed at which my line synced was always affected but with this problem even though my line is syncing at 2500KB/s my download speeds drop to 750kb/s from the usual 2400kb/s. In real terms this means the difference between my normal download speed of 330kb/s compared to approx 80kb/s, a huge difference. Strangly my upload speeds are not affected. I would not be surprised that it is contention seen as Eircom are now offering the 3MB package for €9 a month(with conditions). Either way it's not the way to treat paying customers, Eircom should put the infastructure in place before they overcrowd the existing setup.

rang them yesterday, spoke to a dublin chap who knew his stuff.

gave him the IPs etc of the affected and my mob number, hope it will be fixed soon for us south east users ;(

Grommet wrote: »
    Just saw this thread - seems like there's a fair few of you out there that have similar issues. I happen to know that eircom is busy with some transmission network upgrades at several exchanges around the country (separate to their new sites roll out) - so if those of you who are complaining can list the exact exchange that you are on, I might be able to find out from my mates in eircom when the upgrades are happening for your exchange.

I know for example that Frenchpark is supposed to be upgraded this week. Saw that one mentioned in the thread above. Castlerea and Ballyhaunis in the same region are also due to be upgraded this week. I can try to find out some more if yez give me a list.

cheers.

Grommet whats the story with the Nurney (Co Kildare) exchange.
    Service is fine during the day but crap after 6pm (see my earlier posts).
    Trace route shows the problem/bottleneck to be with Eircom Portlaoise (server).

Thks
    Zug

Grommet whats the story with the Nurney (Co Kildare) exchange.
    Service is fine during the day but crap after 6pm (see my earlier posts).
    Trace route shows the problem/bottleneck to be with Eircom Portlaoise (server).

Thks
    Zug

Do you happen to no the IP address of the portloaise server by any chance?

Tracing route to boards.ie [89.234.66.107]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 12 ms 99 ms 99 ms ....my router ...

2 35 ms 39 ms 43 ms b-ras1.pgs.portlaoise.eircom.net [159.134.155.8]

3 419 ms 411 ms 427 ms 86.43.242.62

4 422 ms 430 ms 448 ms 86.43.244.153

5 433 ms 435 ms 443 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]

6 454 ms 455 ms 422 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Grommet my local exchange is Nurney and as you can see from the trace route the problem only starts from b-ras1.pgs.portlaoise.eircom.net [159.134.155.8] onwards not my local exchange - Nurney.

Heres the results of Irish ISP Speed Test and this is on a line that syncs at 5.2MBits/sec and is perfect during office hours!

Download speed 783 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 305 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 44 %
    Maximum delay 470 ms
    Round trip time 402 ms
    Upstream jitter 0.4 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Grommet wrote: »

cheers.

:rolleyes: You sure bout that? How do You know this? Do You work for Eircom?

I sit and wait, I'm getting this in the mean time as upto 7.6mbit:

394280691.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

OP im on the same boat as you, except i would threaten legal action, id be tempted to at times tho. This has been happening to me for 3-4 months now.

It was worse earlier, and this happens every day of the week from 6-12pm, Eircom told me 6 times they are coming out to fix the line/problem over the last 3-4 months, there has also been around 60 bloody phone calls and still nothing. I cant even move to a different USP because apparently my number dosent exist (my house was built around 4 years ago ). The interent on my mobile loads a page quicker. I was on youtube one night a few weeks back, took ages to get onto it and it took my 46 minutes to load a 1 minute and 20 second video.

ok, i cant seem to post up an image :/

My results from speedtest.net are:

Download = 191
    upload = 210

IM on a 2 meg connection, Im in donegal and the server im connected to is Galway.

Advertisement