Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Ring Eircom If...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

my connection is gone to wang again tonight, dammit, thought it was fixed

edit: Now seems fine again? I have no idea whats going on here

edit: Bollox again , lol

really dont no what to do now...
    Change ISP and hope it fixes the solution or bear with eircom hoping they sort the problems

its been 3 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

In D.15 on the Blanchardstown exchange, BB connection appears to be running fine after all the problems of last week. It's now gone 6p.m. and no slowdown of DL speeds as was normal over the past week. Hope it's all fxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Grommet wrote: »
    The description of the node that is adding the congestion indicates that it is the Broadband Aggregation Server (BRAS) which is used to terminate the PPOE connection to your modem. I asked some questions of my mates in eircom about this and was told that they have noticed a large increase in traffic on one of the links on that BRAS over the last few months and that it started to congest a few weeks ago. So they have a new link being put in next week that should immediately alleviate the situation. I'll see if I can get an update next week and if so I'll post it here.

G.
    Grommet wrote: »
    This is more or less what I have been told by my techhie friends in eircom....

The eircom BECS service goes through the same BRAS node that eircom Retail services use - only difference is the customer connections are tunnelled through the BRAS and not terminated there as with the eircom service. So, since there is congestion on one of the paths out of the BRAS in Portlaoise the BT bitstream traffic will also hit this. The reason sometimes you get a good connection is because there is a second path out of the BRAS that apparently is not as congested and your traffic may route this way if you get assigned an address from a different subnet.

As I mentioned before, the congestion is to be fixed with new transmission links that are due at the end of next week. Should fix the issue for you.

Grommet I see you quoted the Portlaoise BRAS to both Luctus and me and mention a planned link upgrade next week. I guess I'll have to give your Eircom mates ;) the benefit of the doubt and see what happens next week.

Zug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Grommet,

Thanks for your feedback, you didn't have to go asking your 'mate on the inside' on our behalf, greatly appreciated.

I look forward to a stable connection in February :)

Meanwhile, I had reset my router again last night and got a decent ping... it's been stable all day while I was AFK. Then tonight, literally as I sit down at the computer, the route changes, without a restart on my end, and it ramps right up again...

71092.png

I think I'll go read a book...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kas_ie

So glad I found this thread! I've had this happening since November and had no idea what was wrong.

My internet is perfect all day, then when 5/6pm hits my ping goes awful until 12AM, and during weekends it's constant.

tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  b-ras1.pgs.portlaoise.eircom.net [159.134.155.8]

3   421 ms   415 ms   418 ms  86.43.242.62
      4     *        *      379 ms  86.43.244.153
      5   406 ms   405 ms   404 ms  to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      6   418 ms   424 ms   415 ms  ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Pings between 400-900ms 6pm-12am, makes gaming impossible unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Same problem here

Awful trouble with broadband

It seems to be the first hop

Takes 300ms

pings on average 300ms to 400ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 breezor

well today i got my new isp installed... after alot of reserarch and records provided by speedtest.net... i decided to go with icecomms .

for all of u who taught about switching to a different ISP .... FORGET THAT TAUGHT!! altho i can say that on icecomms my connetion is better ... at nite. but not during the day... so at 7 40 on my eircom connection im gettin 600ms ping and a third of a meg on a 7meg connection. upload at 546
    on ice comms im getting
    398189829.png

so .. thres no difference. still gcant game at nite. im in offaly which is 20 mins from portlaoise. wats the chances it will be fxd here soon? any1 got an eta?.
    as for ice...
    they tryd. fair dues... now i have tog et the satelite takin down and the holes filled and everything. how depressn,.im right beside the antenna and it made no difference. the fact that its wireless only actually jus makes it worse. ./ but how can a wireless connection still perform better than a wired one....

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'm in exactly the same situation as zugvogel. I'm in Kilcullen, problems in the Portlaoise hop. Pings in the evening are 400+ to all servers on speedtest.net EXCEPT for Galway. So the solution is obvious, we need everyone to host the internet from Galway. The other solution is to ring Eircom tech support which I have done and they are sending a technician to the house even though it's quite obvious from the tests we did on the phone that the line in the house is fine. I'll humour them as long as it gets resolved. I really hope Grommet is right and it gets fixed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

please ring eircom if your having these problems everyone they will have to take notice of it .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 breezor

m8 ringing eircom is not gonna solve it. iv rang them over 100 times

icecomms are the same :/

its clear that irish broadband is bein powered by this... >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHu8LAWSKxU

and this is our friends at eircom. in action...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWsL9mWaO0&feature=related
    congrats eircom support :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Connection seriously gone to shíte now, even with seperate DNS settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Mick L wrote: »
    I'll humour them as long as it gets resolved. I really hope Grommet is right and it gets fixed soon.

Condescending people....annoy me. You do now that most of the time it is within the persons home.

Its rather odd. The system is that unless something is reported a million times or you get the info to the general masses (via the media) then nothing will happen. Report it.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Condescending people....annoy me. You do now that most of the time it is within the persons home.

Its rather odd. The system is that unless something is reported a million times or you get the info to the general masses (via the media) then nothing will happen. Report it.

That is all.
    Yes condescending people are annoying, as are people who make assumptions then post away. Lets just say I know my way around a PC and I did all the tests I could before hand to rule out a problem at my end, so please don't assume I didn't. I didn't experience a problem then get straight on the phone to Eircom. As for humouring Eircom, from my conversations it was clear to both myself and the tech support person that the problem wasn't at my end but they have their procedures to follow so yes I'll go through the hoops and humour them until it's resolved. When you say report it, are you saying report it to the masses via the media? I can imagine that making the front pages alright :cool:

Bang on Mick.

I too consider myself reasonably knowledgeable when it comes to networking.

It was actually the first thing I did i.e. ruled out a problem at my end.

Actually to be honest I'd have preferred if it was a problem at my end as at least I could estimate how long it would take me to resolve.

Again this morning things are much better. Pings returning 59ms

So its 6pm to 12am bogie time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Everything is going swimmingly now, with sub-60ms pings to most Irish sites and about 70 to UK ones. Come 6pm though, and it'll be a load of sh1te again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Mick L wrote: »
    Yes condescending people are annoying, as are people who make assumptions then post away. Lets just say I know my way around a PC and I did all the tests I could before hand to rule out a problem at my end, so please don't assume I didn't. I didn't experience a problem then get straight on the phone to Eircom. As for humouring Eircom, from my conversations it was clear to both myself and the tech support person that the problem wasn't at my end but they have their procedures to follow so yes I'll go through the hoops and humour them until it's resolved. When you say report it, are you saying report it to the masses via the media? I can imagine that making the front pages alright :cool:

Lets just say you do know, generally that makes you assume everything is ok on your side and you run a few ping tests and thats it.

Report it. Tech support, then media, then head of Eircom. A hand written letter mind you. If enough people are having the problem they will listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 fran)))

After contacting the complaints department again - I got a callback from an Eircom operations manager who offered me a full refund (in credits) for the terrible service since the upgrade to 7mb (which was in November). He also said I will not be charged for February.
    Obviously I am quite happy with this and in fairness to eircom at least I'm gettin a refund.
    But unfortunately the other side is that my connection still isn't fixed.
    Still gettin the same problems as many others here. Insane pings from 6.30 to 12ish pm and pure muck on the weekends. Checked everything on my end several times and the problem pretty much has to be the exchange.
    All the Eircom guy could tell me was that they are currently trying to sort out the problems with the portlaoise exchange but they have no idea when this will be done.

I don't suppose anyone has any new info on the exchange upgrade?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Refund is pretty good though fran))), sure its not fixed but a credit is decent to start with

I've noticed lately on my UTV connection pings go to ****e in evenings and weekends, certainly not line quality related as my SNR levels are rock solid

Yeah Cabaal - pretty nice gesture from Eircom in fairness - they do appear to be trying to sort it out - only time will tell.
    It has to be said that Eircom really have dropped the ball with so many people suffering from these kind of pings. They will no doubt be losing a lot of customers over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

fran))) wrote: »
    *snip*
    It has to be said that Eircom really have dropped the ball with so many people suffering from these kind of pings. They will no doubt be losing a lot of customers over it.

I'm not an Eircom customer for DSL, on BT Broadband, but I'm affected by the exact same issues as you all here because BT have to rely on Eircom for the last mile. I doubt BT will credit me three months.

I'd change provider in a heatbeat, but without a real alternative, there doesn't seem much point. Any other DSL provider/reseller in the area likely has customers suffering the same fate from 4pm to midnight daily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If its an issue with the Eircom Wholesale Bit-stream network then it will affect any of their resellers, this includes, UTV, BT, Eircom etc

Doesn't look good does it?

Unfortunately metro wireless not available in my apartment - in the middle of Athy - no line of sight.
    They are currently talkin about a new mast but that could be ages. It is just terribly frustrating for everyone when Eircom have a monopoly on the lines, hence no point in switching to digiweb or any ther DSL for that matter, as Cabaal has pointed out.
    Smart or magnet not available here yet, much like a lot of other areas.
    I even considered going back to ICE but then slapped myself in the face and remembered being with them before.

How can we get an update on the proposed exchange upgrades? Clearly these will solve a lot of the current problems.
    I asked Eircom but computer says no.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Very strange tonight. Around 6.30 my ping time to boards.ie was already surpassing 200ms... now its 62?

/crosses fingers

Sounds decent man - best of luck with that. Let us all know how it is later on? Just ran a check there and the ping is a fantastically useless 480ms

Still holding up. I can actually play games tonight.

Wow. Enjoy!
    What eircom connection are you on again?

I'm on 3Mb UTV - one of the bitsteam deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

My connection is completely bolloxed tonight. I'm on the 7.5mb package, living in north Cork county.

It's been a bit shítty for the last month or so but it's never been as bad as it has tonight. My connection is dying literally every two minutes and I can't even log into Xbox live nor my Playstation account to play some games. And when it's not completely dead it's slow as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mine is at dial-up speed at the moment, never had any problems before :confused:

Advertisement