Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Prices! Good Deals?

• 12-01-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all

just watchin a tv programme on utv deals on wheels tonight that guy Quentin Wilson ex top gear i think does it!

In England prices have dropped to extreme levels just saw a BMW X5 at auction 30,000 miles on the clock 2 years old go for 14,000.

Its mad:eek: there was also in one Garage buy one get one free! a big 4x4 for example you get a free city car.

With all this in mind are there any places in Waterford city where there are deals to be had!

Dont forget the people have the power!!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

a lot of the garages aren't taking in any more second hand cars. there are real good deals to be had now apparently, you can nearly name your price on the second hand stock as the forecourts are overflowing. or so i'm told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Well i know id love a new car or one thats a couple of years old but i just cant justify spending that amount of money at this moment in time when I already have two cars and one very reliable on at that!

plus my next purchase would be a house but i am also holding off on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I got a very very good deal on an 06 this week but I had to go to Cork to get it. The garages in Waterford were nearly 2k dearer for a similar car.

Trotter wrote: »
    I got a very very good deal on an 06 this week but I had to go to Cork to get it. The garages in Waterford were nearly 2k dearer for a similar car.

Thats a good deal although youd think what with all the Garages on the Cork Road eyeballin each other theyd be killing themselves to get our money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Multivan wrote: »
    Thats a good deal although youd think what with all the Garages on the Cork Road eyeballin each other theyd be killing themselves to get our money!
    ye and three quarters of them are owned by bolands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

longshanks wrote: »
    a lot of the garages aren't taking in any more second hand cars. there are real good deals to be had now apparently, you can nearly name your price on the second hand stock as the forecourts are overflowing. or so i'm told
    Not in Waterford.
    Probably the dearest/most expensive place in Ireland (excluding N.I.)

Saw an add in Dublin for a van like mine VW caravelle 02 low mileage, these things are normally 12 13 thousand this one is 5900 and they are giving away one second hand car free with it!

Theres a deal!

Think its on CBG.IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I know of someone who was quoted 24k for the car he wanted in the South East, so he paid a visit to Northern Ireland and got the same car there (plus a two-year warranty). After paying the customs duty, it worked out around 18k.

I've also heard of someone who went to the bank for a car loan and the bank manager asked them would they be interested in a BMW for 15k. The bank had repossessed it and wanted to flog it. Apparently there are quite a few of these motors out there to be grabbed.

Of course, if you're trading in, neither of these options is for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

has anyone heard of some ad running on wlr about a dealer that will give you 3k scrapage for your old piece of crap against a 2nd hand 07/08 car or was this just imagined? I've an 8 year old car that could do with the firing squad and if I can get a small loan from the credit union might just seize the opportunity to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

old gregg wrote: »
    has anyone heard of some ad running on wlr about a dealer that will give you 3k scrapage for your old piece of crap against a 2nd hand 07/08 car or was this just imagined? I've an 8 year old car that could do with the firing squad and if I can get a small loan from the credit union might just seize the opportunity to change
    I'd say you'd get the 3k off without trading anything in just as easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd say you'd get the 3k off without trading anything in just as easily
    more than likely true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

if you're not trying to trade in your own car, there's great bargains to be had by buying privately. People are desperate to offload their older cars that the dealers won't take as trade-ins (too many second hand cars on the forecourts and none of them shifting) so ring round and haggle.

Bought a car privately a few months ago, got it for half the price the dealers were asking for the exact same model/specs/year, and there was only half the mileage on it too. Had it serviced recently and it's in perfect nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi All,
    I know this thread is about the second hand market, but have a look at this...
    Compared the proces listed on the Ford website for the new Kuga. I'm not intending to buy, but with the resent slump in the value of sterling, I thought I'd have a look.

In England, you can get the New Ford Kuga with Bluetooth, Full leather and the panaramic sunroof etc, Titanium spec for just over £20,000. So when you convert that to Euro, it should be just under or around €22,000

I did the same build on the Irish Ford website for the same spec and it came in at just under €42,000 that's 20,000 pounds more than in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not intending to buy, but that's madness. It's far cheaper to buy in the UK and pay whatever duty is needed since it's won't anywhere near 100% the cost of the car and it's brand new!

Same with the Ford Focus. A Focus Zetech 1.4 petrol in Ireland costs around €24,000. In the UK, the same spec is £14,000

lalorm wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Compared the proces listed on the Ford website for the new Kuga. I'm not intending to buy, but with the resent slump in the value of sterling, I thought I'd have a look.

In England, you can get the New Ford Kuga with Bluetooth, Full leather and the panaramic sunroof etc, Titanium spec for just over £20,000. So when you convert that to Euro, it should be just under or around €22,000

I did the same build on the Irish Ford website for the same spec and it came in at just under €42,000 that's 20,000 pounds more than in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a rip off man! Ireland has been rip off for too long but at the end of the day the punters are to blame because they were so quick to get themselves into hack buying this and that sure when the buyin is flyin prices aint going to be cut!!!!

I may go and look at how much it costs to build my new VW Multivan!! or California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

lalorm wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm not intending to buy, but that's madness. It's far cheaper to buy in the UK and pay whatever duty is needed since it's won't anywhere near 100% the cost of the car and it's brand new!

Same with the Ford Focus. A Focus Zetech 1.4 petrol in Ireland costs around €24,000. In the UK, the same spec is £14,000

Your forgetting VRT, which granted will still probably be cheaper than a new Irish car but the dealers here have to pay 21% VAT on top of the VRT, plus you have to pay for boats, flights etc ...

What do you do if something goes wrong ? Ford Ireland won't deal with your warranty so your back on a boat bringing the car back to the UK. There's a lot to be said about buying Irish ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

gscully wrote: »
    I've also heard of someone who went to the bank for a car loan and the bank manager asked them would they be interested in a BMW for 15k. The bank had repossessed it and wanted to flog it. Apparently there are quite a few of these motors out there to be grabbed.

that's a load of bull, a bank (and certainly not the bank manager!) don't get involved in handling the actual repossessed cars, they pay a company to manage the debt and sell on the car (usually to auctions) to reclaim the debt.

What next? will the bank manager next offer to paint your house for ya when you come in looking for a home improvement load??:rolleyes:

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Your forgetting VRT, which granted will still probably be cheaper than a new Irish car but the dealers here have to pay 21% VAT on top of the VRT, plus you have to pay for boats, flights etc ...

What do you do if something goes wrong ? Ford Ireland won't deal with your warranty so your back on a boat bringing the car back to the UK. There's a lot to be said about buying Irish ...

Well the VRT rules have changed its not as simple as saying you have to pay 21% it has to do with emissions bla bla bla bla and all that if you have a car thats got low emissions the VRT is lower I payed 33% two years ago by the way and i never had any problems with my vehicle!

I reckon the poster is a car dealer or related to one;)

Irish people have been ripped off for long enough be honest!!!!

Theres no service with a smile anymore! I was in a car garage in Waterford and i was ordering a part and a man came in on a bicycle and said hello i rented a car off you and just brought it back today, yes, well i have my bike and 'in the pouring rain' the brakes got stuck he asked the lad could he have a pliers the young lad came back with a stern looking woman and she handed him a cable tie he said no i need a pliers to open this she said we dont have any, he said its a car garage she said its lunch time and we are the parts dept we cant go in and get you a pliers!

Now to me that tells me that man will never ever come back to that garage and he will tell everyone he knows about this terrible customer service and i am now writing about it on the boards here!

Garages have been ripping us off for a long time, maybe good customer service will come back with the recession!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Most of the warranties are pan-European so, as long as you have kept to the terms of it, any dealer should be happy to do the work as they get paid very well for it after all. Often the warranties on UK-sourced cars are longer than the Irish equivalent.

You only pay VAT on an import if it's < 6 months or < 6000 km. Bear in mind that you can buy the car net of UK VAT in many circumstances.

We are buying a new car this year and it will be from the UK. From my research I can clear an ex-demo 320d here for under 40k. The Irish list price, for a lower spec., is around 60k.

With Sterling the way it is, and likely to stay that way, the arguments for doing this are absolutely compelling.

SSE

Sorry that should have been under 45k, not 40k.

Either way it's a real saving.

Tried to edit original post but managed to break the forum.

SSE

EDIT: Just to add, took so long to write this that SSE got his two posts done before me !

Multivan, Here's a link to the Boards Conspiracy Theorists forum. Honest to God, Boards must be the only message board I know of where if someone tries to defend something, they are accused of working for or related to or associated with the side of the argument they are defending. If you can't have an educated argument, then please click on the little red 'X' in the top corner of the screen.

Now, VAT is 21% and VRT is calculated in two different ways.

If your car was first registered in the country of purchase on or after January 1st 2008, you can base your VRT and Road Tax on the new CO2 emissions rate which in the case of VRT ranges from 14% to 36% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) of the car. If the car your buying was registered before this date the old VRT and Road Tax system is based on the OMSP and the vehicles engine capacity respectively.

The only reason I know all this in detail is that I've spent the last six months researching about bringing a car in from the UK with my father. It will work out cheaper but depending on the car it may not be worth it. You also have to remember that UK garages won't take in an Irish car as a trade in which is a big deal for a lot of people.

For example, a 2008 Volvo S40 1.6 TD with the R Design specifications and can be landed in your drive here from the UK for a little under €21,000 cleared. The same car here would cost around €26-27,000 from a dealer. But bear in mind that the dealer has to pay 21% VAT, which is an extra €3,150 that you don't have to pay.

So there is €6,000 in the difference, minus the VAT and there is €2,850 in the difference. Now you have to factor in costs in going to the UK and coming back again. Presumably your not going to just fly in and buy the first car you see so maybe you'll hire a car or get a taxi around and for arguements sake two of ye fly over. Flights will come in at around €100, car hire another €100. After visiting a few dealers you buy the car in London. You have to drive the four odd hours back to Fishguard, circa 200 miles if your west of London, you'll need a tank of diesel to get you there, another €60 (55 litre tank and diesel at £1 per litre) The boat will cost you another €160. If you add in misc expenses for food and possibly an overnight stay, your looking at another €150. Two days off work (18 hours at minimum wage) is another €160.

That's not shy of €700, bringing your saving down to €2,150ish. Fair enough two grand is a big saving, but you could negotiate at least €1,000 to €1,500 off an Irish car of that price, UK dealers are much less leniant on price. Now your saving is down to €500 to €1,000.

So for the sake of €700, on average, you have a 2008 car in your drive. If something goes wrong, you have no warranty here to cover you. If you want to keep your UK warranty that you can't use here, you have to bring it to an Irish Volvo dealer for all its services.

Is it really worth it ?

By the way, I'm not including if you were to trade in your car here, which would get you a minimum of €2,000 scrappage. This makes the Irish car cheaper, you have a warranty and you don't have to go through a hilarious amount of effort to go and buy it.

It's a buyers market out there, there are big savings to be made, you just need to have done your homework before hand.

My next rant will be on 'Why the dealers here can't just drop prices through the floor to compete with their EU counterparts'.

For the record, I don't work in car sales, the only person I know in car sales is the guy who my father just bought his new car from. Yes, the car was bought in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Paddy - I can't work out why you're saying you don't have to pay the VAT on the Irish car.

If a car is €27k at a dealer that's the price you pay isn't it? In your example, the saving is c. 5k on a 27k car, just under 20%.

For my example:
    BMW 320d ex-demo : £25000
    minus 15% UK VAT : 25000/1.15 = £21750
    Euro equivalent : 21750*1.1 = €23925
    IRL VAT : 23925*1.215 = €29100
    IRL VRT (20% of OMSP 55k) = €40100
    Tax, travel, fuel, food = 2k?
    Total = 42K or so

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

that's a load of bull, a bank (and certainly not the bank manager!) don't get involved in handling the actual repossessed cars, they pay a company to manage the debt and sell on the car (usually to auctions) to reclaim the debt.

What next? will the bank manager next offer to paint your house for ya when you come in looking for a home improvement load??:rolleyes:

You were there, were you? Thought not...

Perhaps I worded it wrongly and the bank manager pointed them in the direction of the third party you mention, but it happened!

Paddy - I can't work out why you're saying you don't have to pay the VAT on the Irish car.

If a car is €27k at a dealer that's the price you pay isn't it? In your example, the saving is c. 5k on a 27k car, just under 20%.

For my example:
    BMW 320d ex-demo : £25000
    minus 15% UK VAT : 25000/1.15 = £21750
    Euro equivalent : 21750*1.1 = €23925
    IRL VAT : 23925*1.215 = €29100
    IRL VRT (20% of OMSP 55k) = €40100
    Tax, travel, fuel, food = 2k?
    Total = 42K or so

SSE

Just to clarify myself a little bit, If you but the car in the UK you pay 15.5% VAT, but if you buy the car here you pay 21%, thats one of the reasons prices here are higher that the dealers have no control over.

Paddy I take your point but I'd say sympathy for Irish car dealers will be thin on the ground. Whilst a lot of the benefit now is due to currency movements (a £30k import is now about €33k instead of €45k a while ago) it's pretty clear many if not most are doomed.

One thing I forgot to mention - if you buy the car VAT-free in the UK the dealer will normally not let you drive it away. I believe they will deliver the car to a port of export for £300 or so. That way you don't need to tax it in the UK either. The form to be filled in is the VAT411 BTW.

SSE

For most garages here, yeah, it will be hard to feel sorry for them and we can only hope the few decent lads out there can keep on working.

I used to hold quite a strong grudge against Irish garages and the 'Rip off Ireland' economy, but to be fair they're caught between a rock and a hard place. We all know the primary reason cars are so expensive here is down to the VRT. They can't just scrap it, as every car in the country would be worth a percentage of what it is worth now. A car you paid €10,000 today would be worth €7,000 overnight. Imagine how much (more) the dealers would lose on cars they took in as trade to retail !

I'd just implore people to do their homework first and give the Irish garages a chance. At the end of the day I'd rather pay Irish tax than UK tax because there may be at least some benefit for us in the long run, rather than helping the British economy.

If you import a car in the way I've described you are paying Irish VAT and VRT. The only people missing out in that scenario are the dealers who are basically left as service operations.

I specifically buy my tyres/parts in Waterford, for example, and get servicing done here rather than the UK as the price difference is small and I'd rather keep local lads in work.

If there was a small differential to the Irish price then people may buy local, but not when there's 10k+ to be saved in many cases. I can't see any local dealer matching that.

SSE

If we were really looking for where this leak began i suppose it would lead back to the Government sticking tax's on here there and everywhere!

But for me its the lack of customer service in this country that drives me around the bend,

My GF who isnt Irish couldnt believe when we were in a car garage that the guy we were sitting down talking to stopped mid conversation to pick up his ringing telephone and chat away on it, we just got up and left.

I was in a Main Dealer parts section and a man who had rented a car and brought it back came back into the parts section to ask could he have a pliers to fix his bike that he was cycling home on as the brakes were stuck the woman came back to him with a cable tie and then he said no i need a pliers well thats all we have he said its a car garage she said this is the parts section and its lunch time i cant give you one,

I dont think he will ever return to that Garage and i am on boards now speaking about it, how stupd of that lazy woman who couldnt bother her ass to get a pliers,

They almost treat people with contempt when the boom was here and took our money off us!

Advertisement