Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

twas about 11am. I think it must have just been the camera, it was dull + raining the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

The words "On my tail" spring to mind!.

You're making great progress.

Tried your ab barbell things, really good. Had a serious ab cramp after the second set. Try them on an incline if you can!

kevpants wrote: »
    The words "On my tail" spring to mind!.

You're making great progress.

Tried your ab barbell things, really good. Had a serious ab cramp after the second set. Try them on an incline if you can!

thanks, hopefully ill keep the pressure on you!!

might have to give it a go on incline for some variation, if i can ever figure out how to put my bench on incline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

podge57 wrote: »
    yeah, i really should have mesured it out, if it was at the right height i would have had a better chance

I would go as far as to say it was an sldl, but not far off i suppose

Hi podge57,

if they are my or Marcy 20kg plates, they are about 410mm from memory. The 25kg plates are 450mm. I will send you 2 scrap bits of rubber mat if you want, they are 18mm thick and will bring the 20kg plates up to very nearly right height. I have loads left over from when I moved out of Pinnacle.

Mickk wrote: »
    Hi podge57,

if they are my or Marcy 20kg plates, they are about 410mm from memory. The 25kg plates are 450mm. I will send you 2 scrap bits of rubber mat if you want, they are 18mm thick and will bring the 20kg plates up to very nearly right height. I have loads left over from when I moved out of Pinnacle.

Hi Mick, thanks for the offer. I managed to get it sorted yesterday with some stuff I had lying about, so it wont be a problem.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

- Did some benching today, just stuck with the 5x5, because im backing off for the next week or so. Good session tho, the rows were great, using the towel gives a helluva forearm pump too

Bench
    20kg x 12
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5

Snatch Grip Rows
    60kg x 12
    80kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    80kg x 8

Towel T-Bar (Ex. Bar)
    50kg x 15
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 7

Pushups

Neck Harness
    15kg x 15
    15kg x 15
    15kg x 15

might have done something else - cant remember

- So today was my first day of smolov - because of football through the summer, my squat hasnt progressed an awful lot lately, so its time to really work on it. I was really tired today (out from 8pm-4am :eek:), and loaded up on caffeine before I lifted. First 2 sets were easy, but then I crashed after the 2nd set, and just wanted to go to bed- managed to get through it tho. My abs, quads and glutes cramped up after the 4th set, and I was just lying on the ground. Set my max at 177.5kg, because you are supposed to set it at 5-10kg below your actual max. Plan is to bench 1x per week, and some upper back, not sure which day yet, I will probably have the most time on saturdays.
    - We lost the final yesterday - we were 2 points down, and got a penalty with the last kick of the game, needed a goal to win, but only got a point - it was an awful way to lose.

Squat
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    125kg x 9
    125kg x 9
    125kg x 9
    125kg x 9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Rather you than me on this one dude. I think my Coan-Phillipi cycle finishes about 3 weeks before the year ends. Thinking of running smolov base then :s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

best of luck with the smolov.
    I did smolov junior once before.
    killer

Hanley wrote: »
    Rather you than me on this one dude. I think my Coan-Phillipi cycle finishes about 3 weeks before the year ends. Thinking of running smolov base then :s

yup, its going to be pretty tough. But Im going to be working alot on squats over the winter, because it will get harder again when football starts back up in January. Hopefully this will push me closer to te 200kg mark.
    best of luck with the smolov.
    I did smolov junior once before.
    killer

Thanks, Ill need all the luck i can get :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Ooooooooh.

You gonna do the full Smolov? I'd love to do that.

It's really only a runner if you have a garage gym like yourself and can get the sessions in when you can.

kevpants wrote: »
    Ooooooooh.

You gonna do the full Smolov? I'd love to do that.

It's really only a runner if you have a garage gym like yourself and can get the sessions in when you can.

yup, well, thats the plan anyway - very few people complete it, but ill take it as far as i can

Its definately an advantage being at home, it would be tough to fit everything in taking into consideration preparation/travel/opening hours etc

- Today wasnt too bad, the first 3 sets felt really good, and the first 4 reps of each of the last 2 sets, the final few reps were a bit tougher. I am definately not used to this level of volume and the high reps, but i should start to adapt - my legs were shaking a lot on the last set.
    - From looking at the vid, im leaning forward, but im squatting it up, not GMing it like before. I dont really think there is any problem with this, ive seen lots of people squat like that. Also, Im no able to walk squats out properly, and it also means i dont have to walk them back in - ill need to save every bit of energy i can :D

Squat
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    135kg x 7
    135kg x 7
    135kg x 7
    135kg x 7
    135kg x 7

Chinups

Snatch Grip Rows
    60kg x 12
    60kg x 12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

nice work Podge.
    I dont envy your quads in the morning.

nice work Podge.
    I dont envy your quads in the morning.

Thanks - I iced them and did lots of stretching, but that didnt stop them cramping up when I got off the bus this morning :o

Thanks - I iced them and did lots of stretching, but that didnt stop them cramping up when I got off the bus this morning :o

Between day 3 and day 5 you will become DOMS proof. I'm not joking. It's the single most amazing thing I've ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Between day 3 and day 5 you will become DOMS proof. I'm not joking. It's the single most amazing thing I've ever experienced.

Yeah its amazing alright,i'm on day 8 at the moment and i haven't had DOMS since day 3...

Podge are you going to do the full smolov??

VIS VIRES wrote: »
    Yeah its amazing alright,i'm on day 8 at the moment and i haven't had DOMS since day 3...

Podge are you going to do the full smolov??

I think I am starting to build up some sort of tolerance/resistance - no soreness this morning, or after todays workout - feels great :D

And, yes, im planning on doing the full thing, or as much as i can

- Very happy with today- the least physically exhausting day so far, probably because of the lower reps. First 5 sets were all pretty smooth, the others werent bad either. The last few reps of the last set were a bit iffy, but it was my 7th set after all.
    - Did some benching too, I obviously dont plan on breaking any prs during the base mesocycle, just trying to keep strength and technique - the 102.5x2 was really slow, i was getting tired at that point

Squat
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5
    142.5kg x 5

Bench
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    102.5kg x 2
    80kg x 8

vid (and yes, my face really was that red):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

jeez podge, looked like there was no weight on that bar :D they flew up!

• Advertisement

jeez podge, looked like there was no weight on that bar :D they flew up!

Thanks, most of the reps felt pretty good - im liking in this whole smolov lark

The very first rep felt like i would get pinned tho, and I had to take a long pause on the 4th set because of *wind*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

haha, the amount of times in the gym while listening to music ill let one rip and wont know wheter it was a loud or quiet one :D i go red quite often!

- Today wasnt brilliant, but it was ok. The weight wasnt a problem, but i was pretty lethargic, and I had no explosiveness. Managed to get through it ok, time to rest now - no more squatting until monday evening!

Squat
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    150kg x 3

- Pretty happy with today, the first 3 sets all felt good - the last 4/5 reps on the 4th set were tough, but i got through it. I have vids of the 1st and 2nd set, the 2nd wasnt perfect, but nothing majorly wrong. I think this week will be the toughest week, because next week, there is only a 5kg jump, and because it is the last week of the BMS, there is a big psychological difference, but week 2 is off to a good start anyway

Squat
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    135kg x 9
    135kg x 9
    135kg x 9
    135kg x 9

BB Shrugs
    60kg x 30
    80kg x 20
    100kg x 10

Towel V-Bar Row (ex.Bar)
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 12

- Glad today is over - definately the toughest day so far. The last couple of reps on the last 3 sets were pretty hard, but i got it all done. Im now halfway through the Base cycle, happy enough with how its gone so far. I think 7x5 on Friday will be more manageable than today because I suck at high reps

Squats
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7

- Really happy with today didnt really have any problems with any of the sets. 155x5 was a pr back on September 5th, with pretty crappy form. So to hit 2.5kg less for 7 sets was great
    - Floor pressed instead of benching, because I find it impossible to arch/have decent form after squatting so much
    - I have a vid, but youtube seems messed up right now, so i cant upload it yet. I recorder 3-4 sets, but for most of them i had it fully zoomed in so you cant see anything
    - Looking forward to the weekend - heading over to London for the Pats-Bucs match in Wembley. Not going until sunday, and home early on monday, so i wont miss any squatting!

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5

Floor Press
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 5
    105kg x 2
    80kg x 8
    80kg x 8

- Glad today is over - definately the toughest day so far. The last couple of reps on the last 3 sets were pretty hard, but i got it all done. Im now halfway through the Base cycle, happy enough with how its gone so far. I think 7x5 on Friday will be more manageable than today because I suck at high reps

Squats
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7
    145kg x 7

Imo, and in quite a few others, this is definitely the hardest day of the base cycle.

Imo, and in quite a few others, this is definitely the hardest day of the base cycle.

yup, i would definately agree with that so far, its a killer, the 7x5 has been the easiest so far

edit: heres todays vid, wont upload to youtube

152.5x5

- Today was great - probably one of my best ever squat sessions. Some of the reps were a bit slow, but i felt rock solid under them all and had no problem with any of the sets. I think 160x3 is technically a pr, but not a proper pr because i have much more in me. Week 2 is done, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and im looking forward to testing my max in 2 weeks :D

Squat
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 1
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3
    160kg x 3

• Advertisement

- Happy with today, not going to get any style points, but i got it done. Was really low on energy, didnt sleep much and had to catch an early flight. I managed the weight ok, and 140x9 is a pr weight.

Squat
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 9
    140kg x 9
    140kg x 9
    140kg x 9

Snatch Grip Rows
    60kg x 15
    80kg x 10