Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

- From the outset, I always thought this would be the hardest day of the base cycle, and I was right. By the last set, my legs were like jelly - i could barely stand, nevermind squat, but i got it done. Only 2 sessions of the BMS left, and (hopefullY) the hardest day is done

Squat
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    105kg x 3
    150kg x 7
    150kg x 7
    150kg x 7
    150kg x 7
    150kg x 7

BB Curls
    30kg x 15
    30kg x 15
    30kg x 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

yea id say the curls really drain the old CNS :pac::pac::pac::pac:

yea id say the curls really drain the old CNS :pac::pac::pac::pac:

that gives me an idea - smolov for curls...hmmm...

- Today was tough. Not as hard as Wednesday, but pretty close. Glad tomorrow is the last day, my hips are starting to hurt, my hands are really cut up and a few of the reps today were ugly. Really happy though, back in february i missed 2 attempts at 157.5 at the single lifts, and today i hit it for 7 sets of 5
    - Benching was good, was tough to arch, but 92.5 x 8 was pretty close to a pr (my last pr was 100 x 5)

Squat
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    135kg x 1
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5

Bench
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    92.5kg x 8

BB Extension
    35kg x 12
    35kg x 12

podge57 wrote: »
    that gives me an idea - smolov for curls...hmmm...
    its a sad moment in time when i realised i loled at this :P

good music choice on the sqwats btw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sick progress!!

Work on stretching out and rolling your piriformis. Smolov tightened mine up fierce and caused a lot of hip trouble.

its a sad moment in time when i realised i loled at this :P

good music choice on the sqwats btw

I was serious...

:D
    Im guessing you mean the rise against song, b/c i remember you getting flamed for posting them a while ago ;)
    Hanley wrote: »
    Sick progress!!

Work on stretching out and rolling your piriformis. Smolov tightened mine up fierce and caused a lot of hip trouble.

Thanks, gonna do some stretching and rolling tonight, and lots during the next week so im good to go next friday!

- Final session of the BMS today:D I was pretty happy with it - some of the reps werent pretty, but i think its just all the volume taking its toll. Was pleased with how the weight felt on my back tho, and i never flt like i would miss a rep. Gonna take a break until tue/wed, before testing my 1rm on friday

Squats
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 1
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    165kg x 3

- Pretty good session, just wanted to get some benching done. Before smolov bms, i benched 100x5 for a pr, and i got it today a bit easier, and might of had a 6th in me. Wanted to get some more weight in my hands, so i did 2 sets with boards after
    - was fairly happy with the chins, it gives me something to work on for the next few weeks

Bench
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    85kg x 3
    100kg x 5

2 Board
    100kg x 8
    112.5kg x 4

Max Chins in 2 mins

BB Shrugs
    60kg x 40
    80kg x 25
    100kg x 15

BB Situps
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8

BB Curl
    30kg x 20
    35kg x 12

Podge, im just wondering how do you weigh down your legs on the barbell crunches?

• Advertisement

Podge, im just wondering how do you weigh down your legs on the barbell crunches?

i just put a towel on my shins and then a 20kg plate on the towel, havent had any problems

cool cheers. i was just wondering , i tried them in the decline bench and i felt like i was using my legs to get the bar up. i might try that instead

- I <3 Smolov:D. Today was great, 3 pr's. The original plan was to go 185, 192.5 or maybe 195. I went for 195, got it, and felt i had another 5kg in me, so i got 200. Thats a 17.5kg pr. I remember after squatting 182.5 a few months ago, i set what i though was an unrealistic goal of 200 before the end of the year, but i got it today with almost 2 months to spare. It was by no means a perfect squat, but it wouldnt really be a true max if it was pretty.
    - No heavy squatting for 2 weeks, so ill do some deads on lower days, as well as some beltless squats and form work.

Squat
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    125kg x 2
    165kg x 1
    185kg x 1 2.5kg pr
    195kg x 1 12.5kg pr
    200kg x 1 17.5kg pr

Towel Chins

Neck Harness
    10kg x 20
    10kg x 20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

wanker :D:D

fantastic squat man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sheeeeeet, you'll have to buy new plates soon dude! Nice one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Serious squatting! Well done.

How long did you take between those 3 squats?

What is your bodyweight these days?

Thanks guys :D
    wanker :D:D

fantastic squat man

Sheeeeeet, you'll have to buy new plates soon dude! Nice one.

I think im good for another few months, but i wont complain too much when i have to buy them!

BossArky wrote: »
    Serious squatting! Well done.

How long did you take between those 3 squats?

What is your bodyweight these days?

Not sure exactly, I would guess about 3 minutes between each set. I used to take much longer, but all the volume lately means i recover quicker

Weight is 101.5kg right now, so i was 2.5kg off a 2x bodyweight squat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Man with your frame the possibilities are endless with what you can lift.

Race ya to 250kg though!

kevpants wrote: »
    Man with your frame the possibilities are endless with what you can lift.

Race ya to 250kg though!

yeah, today felt great, made me really look forward to competing again

it'll be a while before 250, 220 is the next big goal for me. Hopefully i should be fit for it at the single lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Congratulations. The first set went up like a joke. 200 looks like a nice milestone to hit!

• Advertisement

jeez, that was beastly! Very impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Holy sh1t, awesome squatting podge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

damn thats a scary amount of weight, have you ever done partial squats, in the same way that bench lockouts are used? i would imagine there a good way to get comfortable with more weight being on the shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Beast.

Thanks guys :)
    jayoo wrote: »
    damn thats a scary amount of weight, have you ever done partial squats, in the same way that bench lockouts are used? i would imagine there a good way to get comfortable with more weight being on the shoulders

No, I've seen lots of clips of people getting injured when doing that, I think the risks would outweigh the benefits , and tbh, I like going for a squat pr knowing that its the heaviest weight I've ever had on my back

- Went to the Jim Wendler seminar yesterday, had a great day. He's an awesome guy too, very friendly and he speaks a lot of sense. Was great to get him giving me some bench and deadlift tips too. Also got to meet a few faces from here.
    - Today was not so good. Managed to crack my laptop screen, which had 3 of college assignments on it, so I need to try and recover them. Was really tired after a long day yesterday too, so tiredness + stress =/= good lifting. Going to bench heavy later in the week, so kept it light today

Bench
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    65kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    85kg x 12
    80kg x 10

Might do something else later

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

podge57 wrote: »
    Today was not so good. Managed to crack my laptop screen, which had 3 of college assignments on it, so I need to try and recover them.

you probably don't need a hand but in case you do I should be able to get the stuff off it for you if you are in dublin

you probably don't need a hand but in case you do I should be able to get the stuff off it for you if you are in dublin

thanks man, managed to get it sorted though.

It is just the screen that is damaged, so I hooked it up to a desktop monitor and got everything I needed.

Back in my happy zone now :D

- Today was much better, got a deadlift pr. First rep would have got 3 reds though, it was hitched. Not sure why, thought I had it fairly easily. I think I had trouble locking out my right knee? But the reps felt good apart from that, on course for 250kg early next year
    - Assistance stuff was good, did the GM's wendler style, and my back/hams really felt it

Deads
    65kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    180kg x 2
    227.5kg x 2 PR

Rack Pulss (knee level)
    140kg x 12
    160kg x 10
    180kg x 8

GM's
    30kg x 12
    30kg x 12
    30kg x 12

Side Bends]
    30kg x 20
    40kg x 15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Did your heel(s) come up a bit near the lockout? If you think this is the case then some dynamic work might help? Very nice deadlifting otherwise, looked nice and quick, well ready for more! You think all the squatting you did recently had an effect on your dead or was it something else?

Advertisement