Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Did your heel(s) come up a bit near the lockout? If you think this is the case then some dynamic work might help? Very nice deadlifting otherwise, looked nice and quick, well ready for more! You think all the squatting you did recently had an effect on your dead or was it something else?

Yes, my right heel came up on the first rep, which happens quite a lot when I deadlift.
    My right leg is noticeably shorter, im not sure if that would be the cause...

I dont think the squats affected me too much, felt pretty strong on deads today, if anything i think my upper back work might be lacking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

Savage lifting there podge!, do you plan on lifting with IDFPA next year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Fcuk Podge... you're considerably stronger than I was at your weight and age. Jesus I'm jealous.

Really glad the hard work's paying off for ya!!

ladowack wrote: »
    Savage lifting there podge!, do you plan on lifting with IDFPA next year?

Thanks, and yes I'll be competing with the IDFPA next, really cant' wait to compete again :D
    Hanley wrote: »
    Fcuk Podge... you're considerably stronger than I was at your weight and age. Jesus I'm jealous.

Really glad the hard work's paying off for ya!!

Cheers Hanley, thats pretty cool to hear considering the level you're at now!

Everything seems to be falling in place nicely for me atm

- Went to a gym today, because I'd been in the house studying all day and I had some free passes so I decided it would be good to get out for an hour
    - Not sure what weights I was using on the machine exercises

DB Rows
    35kg x 20
    40kg x 15
    40kg x 12

Lat Pulldowns

Face Pulls

Tri Pushdowns

Treadmill
    10 mins (1.5k)

• Advertisement

- The original plan for today was some sort of bench pr, but I still had really bad DOMS from Wednesday, so that wasn't happening. From next week there will be more structure to my benching, not sure if a will follow a specific routine, or just draw something up myself, but I dont work as well when I haven't got it all planned well in advance.
    - Also wanted to get the bar on my back, and I've wanted to try pause squats for a while. They're pretty cool, not as much of a strenght drop-off as I predicted either.

Bench
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 8
    65kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    105kg x 2
    105kg x 2

Seated OHP
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 10

Paused Squats (3 sec Pause)
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 3 (not paused)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hey, do you bench alone out in the shed or with a spotter? What happens if you fail alone? No one will hear you over the music? :D

BossArky wrote: »
    Hey, do you bench alone out in the shed or with a spotter? What happens if you fail alone? No one will hear you over the music? :D

yup, im almost always out there alone. Its not really a problem benching, I just set the safety rails above chest height, and then arch. So if I failed, I would just need to flatten out and slide out under the bar. I suppose if anything did ever happen I'd just have to wait until the song changed :D

Just putting this plan for the next couple of months here for my own reference, but any advice is welcome too

Now=> Dec. 25 : Smolov Intense Phase
    Bench:
    Week 1: 3x2 @ 102.5kg
    Week 2: 3x5 @ 95kg
    Week 3: 5x3 @ 100 kg
    Week 4: 3x2 @ 107.5kg
    Week 5: 3x5 @ 100 kg
    Week 6: 5x3 @ 105kg

This will leave me about 5-6 weeks out from the comp, so it will look like this:
    Squat:
    Wk1: 5x80-85%
    Wk2: 5rm
    Wk3: 3x85-90%
    Wk4: 3rm
    Wk5: Opener
    Wk6: Deload

This will be done on Fridays, with 3x5 @ ~70% done on Mondays

Bench will be done with the same structure, except the %'s will be different since my bench %'s are a bit warped. Benching will be on Mondays, with 3x5 on fridays

Not sure what way I will train deads yet

I usually like to follow a set-out program, but there arent really many designed for 5 weeks, but what I've planned is pretty basic, and I think it should work well. I prefer to hit triples and sets of 5, I think they work much better for me than singles

- Fairly happy with today, all the presses were easy enough, focused a lot on form, especially keeping tight
    - Found out today that the comp is on Jan 23, which happens to be right in the middle of my exams. As long as I have no exam that day, there won't be any problems though. I'll also have to adjust my plan a bit

Bench
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 2
    102.5kg x 2
    102.5kg x 2
    102.5kg x 2
    80kg x 8
    80kg x 8

BB Row
    80kg x 10
    80kg x 10
    100kg x 6

BB Shrug
    60kg x 50
    80kg x 30
    120kg x 12

Tri Extension
    30kg x 15
    35kg x 12
    35kg x 12

• Advertisement

- Since I'm starting the smolov intense phase next week I decided to go forthe DL PR that I've been wanting to get for the last few weeks. I got it, still having lots of lockout problems though. First attempt I missed above my knees, second attempt I started in a much lower position, and it was slow, but I got it. It slipped out of my hand after I locked it out, don't know what happened - it wasnt my grip, just a pain and now my hand is bruised and swollen
    - After smolov, I'll have to work on my lockout, I'm thinking Romanians and lighter weight focusing on powering through the lockout
    - Got a vid., but deleted it by mistake

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    180kg x 3
    220kg x 1
    240kg x 0
    240kg x 1 PR

Squats
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    140kg x 5

GM
    32.5kg x 12
    32.5kg x 12
    32.5kg x 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Good stuff. We now officially have the same pull! Until Friday at least :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

kevpants wrote: »
    woho! confident are we?

Officially you are both waaaaay stronger than me, gay.

(good sh!t podge, good sh!t......)

I think it's safe to say you're well ahead of me at this stage

As long as I can get 250 by the single lifts I'll be happy
    woho! confident are we?

Officially you are both waaaaay stronger than me, gay.

(good sh!t podge, good sh!t......)

ha, thanks, we are both officially much older than you too

(kev being much, much older :D)

Also, you are officially

- Today went pretty well, taking it easy since I'm starting the smolov intense phase on Monday. Gonna close grip on Fridays, to get more volume in, all of today's reps were fully paused, Monday's were paused, but not for long. Will add 5kg next week
    - The one-arm rows were cool. I used a barbell, and it replicated a DB row very well, only big difference was that I didn't need to stabilise the weight. This is one of the few exercises I miss from the gym, but I think this should be a good substitute. (The weight is not including the bar, b/c I have no idea how much of it I was lifting)
    - Weight is now above 103kg

CG Bench
    35kg x 8
    35kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Pullups

Seated Shoulder Press
    40kg x 12
    50kg x 10
    55kg x 8

One-Arm Row
    30kg x 12
    30kg x 12
    30kg x 12

- First day back to smolov. Was pretty good, although I was a bit rusty on the heavier squat sets, but I expected that. Weight didn't feel too bad.
    - Was supposed to bench 95x3x5, but realised half way through the 3rd set that I had the safety rails set too low, so I didnt risk it

Squats
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    127.5kg x 3
    145kg x 4
    165kg x 4
    165kg x 4
    165kg x 4
    165kg x 5

Bench
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 4

BB Row
    90kg x 8
    90kg x 8
    90kg x 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

podge57 wrote: »
    - The one-arm rows were cool. I used a barbell, and it replicated a DB row very well, only big difference was that I didn't need to stabilise the weight. This is one of the few exercises I miss from the gym, but I think this should be a good substitute.

Have you tried t-bar/one arm t-bar rows? The gym I'm in now has an attachment in the wall for them, going to try them out soon hopefully.

What exactly does a smolov intense phase involve? I know nothing about these russian things except that you lift ****loads all the time.

Have you tried t-bar/one arm t-bar rows? The gym I'm in now has an attachment in the wall for them, going to try them out soon hopefully.

What exactly does a smolov intense phase involve? I know nothing about these russian things except that you lift ****loads all the time.

yes, I've done them using a towel as the handle. Theyre pretty good, and the towel makes them a great forearm exercise too

The intense phase is basically just part 2 of smolov. The reps are much lower (3-5), which I think is where the intense part comes. But, yeah, it is basically just lifting ****loads the whole time :D

Heres a good write-up on the whole thing
    http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

- Another good session. Squats are nearly back to 100%, just need to focus on pushing my knees out the whole time, I think not squatting heavy for 3 weeks means that its just taking me a while to get back into. Still managed the weights pretty well, so Im happy enough. Going to bench on friday, then a fairly easy squat day on saturday, before the real tough stuff next week
    - Managed to break my camera, so haven't been able to get any vids. Hopefully I'll get a new one or work out how to use my phone soon.

Squats
    20kg x 7
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    117.5kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    155kg x 4
    172.5kg x 3
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5

- Decided to switch may main bench day to friday so I don't have to do it after squatting. Was happy with today, reps and form felt solid
    - Assistance work was a bit rushed because I had to go somewhere, but it meant the intensity levels were high, worked up a decent sweat

Bench
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 1
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    70kg x 15

Pullups

Upright Row
    30kg x 12
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10

One Arm Row(ex.bar)
    30kg x 12
    35kg x 10
    35kg x 10

One Arm Extension
    20kg x 15
    20kg x 15

• Advertisement

- Felt really good today, squat form was pretty much spot on. It was also the first time in months Ive been able to squat without any liniment or spray on my left knee, which was good too. Today is the easiest day of the whole cycle, so I was really focusing on form
    - Managed to figure out how to upload from my phone, quality isnt the best, but it'll do

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    125kg x 4
    135kg x 4
    155kg x 4
    155kg x 4
    155kg x 4
    155kg x 4
    155kg x 4

Hanging Leg Raise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

jeez the pipes are comin in strong!

jeez the pipes are comin in strong!

lol, thanks, I think its mostly lighting tho :D

also I just realised you can see my breath when I exale after a rep. It was pretty damn cold!

- Fairly happy with today. The last rep of both 172.5 sets were hard and slow, but all in all it was good. The 175 set was meant to be 172 too, but I loaded it wrong. 182.5x3 is next on wednesday, Ill make sure to get a vid.
    - CG benching was good and solid, I think the bb rows could have been a pr too

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    115kg x 4
    135kg x 4
    155kg x 4
    175kg x 3
    172.5kg x 4
    172.5kg x 4

CG Bench
    30kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5

BB Row
    85kg x 12
    85kg x 12
    100kg x 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Did you move your stance in Podge?

Did you move your stance in Podge?

I brought it in a few inches just before starting smolov, but havent changed it since then

- Today was decent. Squats were good for the most part, although for a few of them I was using a lot of back. On the 182.5 set, the first rep was solid, second rep was ok, and the thirdd was messy. It was a big pr though, so I wasnt expecting perfection. I was finding it really hard to get and hold my air, Im in between nothces on my belt atm, so its not fitting perfectly
    - Got some vids, but I couldnt edit them in movie maker, or play them, so Im not sure if theyll work

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    125kg x 3
    145kg x 3
    162.5kg x 3
    172.5kg x 3
    172.5kg x 3
    172.5kg x 3
    182.5kg x 3 PR

172 2nd set

172 1st or 3rd set?

182.5 x 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Bloody hell:) brill squats,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

nice work.
    particularly on the last rep
    serious squating

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, that last rep was the definition of a grinder.

Never felt like I was going to miss it though, which is always a good sign

Advertisement