Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

alright, so i have to wear both?

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

ah damn, i dont think they will fit over each other...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ah damn, i dont think they will fit over each other...

How tight are you slippers????

pretty damn tight, its not the length, its my feet are really broad . , ill test it out tonight to be sure

- Today didn't really go to plan. I wanted 110x2, the first rep was easy enough, but then took way too long after it, lost my tightness and just racked it - I wouldn't have got it. Did another single after. It was tougher than 105x2x3 last week. Not sure why there is such a drop-off with only a 5kg increase, but my guess is that it's mostly mental
    - I've been training hard the last few weeks, so going to start to taper it a bit this week. Easy workout Monday and Wednesday, then squat and bench openers friday

Bench
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    95kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    110kg x 1

Squat
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5

Pressups v. Mini Band

Tri Pushdowns

• Advertisement

- Today was pretty good, got some decent squat and bench volume in - going to wait until friday to hit my squat and bench openers.

Standing AB Pulldown

Squat
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 2
    170kg x 5
    170kg x 5
    170kg x 5

Bench
    20kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3

Weighted Situp
    +10kg x 15
    +20kg x 10
    +20kg x 10

I wanted to start doing some proper cardio after smolov, but the roads and paths around my house have been frozen since then, so I was stuck with an exercise bike. It cleared up today tho, and there is a road behind my house which was never opened, and is completely sealed off, which is perfect for sprints. For some reason, it is also lit up 24/7, so I can use it any time

Today I did 10 sprints of about 45-50m, jogging slowly back tot he start after. It was tough enough, but I felt great when it was done. Gonna try and do this 2-3x per week, and increase the amount of sprints or distance each time

- No heavy deadlifting today, just some upper back, romanians and speed pulls. Not much to write about, it was a fairly good session.
    - Whenever I get some time, I'm going to make a db for doing rows. I tried some BB rows today, after doing romanians and speed pulls, I only really felt them in my lower back

Pullups

Fat Grip Curls
    30kg x 12
    35kg x 10
    35kg x 10

Romanian DL
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    100kg x 10
    120kg x 8
    140kg x 6

Speed Pulls
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 2
    180kg x 1,1,1,1 (15 secs rest)

Lat Pulldowns

podge57 wrote: »
    I only really felt them in my lower back
    exact same for me , try pendlays in the mean time before you get a dumbell if you already havent, i used to feel them before i switched to dbs

exact same for me , try pendlays in the mean time before you get a dumbell if you already havent, i used to feel them before i switched to dbs

def. sounds worth trying out. I need to start doing some sort of heavy rowing again

- Today was pretty good. Squats felt strong, but form was off. Had a hard time keeping my knees out - my hips, hams glutes and groin were still sore from those sprints. Not too worried tho, will probably open at 195 to get a good solid squat on the board.
    - Happy enough with my bench opener. Not sure if I paused the first rep long enough, but the second seemed spot on.

Squat
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 1
    180kg x 1
    200kg x 2

Bench
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    92.5kg x 2
    105kg x 2

Circuit:

AB Pulldown

Face Pulls

Tri Pushdown

• Advertisement

good stuff podge! do you happen to know if theres like a set pause time? like 1 or 2 seconds? oh and whats the order we lift in? like squat first bench second etc Ps: if it isnt obvious i added you on teh facebookz :P

good stuff podge! do you happen to know if theres like a set pause time? like 1 or 2 seconds? oh and whats the order we lift in? like squat first bench second etc Ps: if it isnt obvious i added you on teh facebookz :P

Dont think so, just when the bar is motionless on your chest. I do remember last year it seemed a lot longer than I expected.

And yeah its squat-bench-deadlift, with female and lighter weight classes going first

And yes, I did realise that was you:D

cool, i was half hoping bench was gonna come first but i knew as much.
    squats leave me knackered way more than bench!. oh, while on teh topic, any idea what time weigh ins and lifting begin? and how long where you there last year , as in from weigh in till you where finished

cool, i was half hoping bench was gonna come first but i knew as much.
    squats leave me knackered way more than bench!. oh, while on teh topic, any idea what time weigh ins and lifting begin? and how long where you there last year , as in from weigh in till you where finished

Got this from the site

"weigh in starts at 9:00 until 10:00 & reweighs until 10:30"

I would say the lifting would start shortly after 11.

Last year it started bout 10.30, I think I did my first squat about 12.30, and last Dl was late, sometime between 7 and 8 I think. But there were 70+ lifters there

podge57 wrote: »
    Got this from the site

"weigh in starts at 9:00 until 10:00 & reweighs until 10:30"

I would say the lifting would start shortly after 11.

Last year it started bout 10.30, I think I did my first squat about 12.30, and last Dl was late, sometime between 7 and 8 I think. But there were 70+ lifters there

I'd say there'll only be more there this year.

Cardio, make sure you stock up on water and food for the day.

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd say there'll only be more there this year.

Cardio, make sure you stock up on water and food for the day.

Yeah, its gonna be a long day alright, might bring a sleeping bag just in case!

im bringing about 5L+ water, gatorade, meal replacements from myprotein, fruit , and im trying to think of food that wont leave me feeling full .: btw whats the deal with reweighs? is that for people to make a last ditch effort to cut the last bit before it starts, or is it to check you havent gotten fatter in 30 minutes :P

im bringing about 5L+ water, gatorade, meal replacements from myprotein, fruit , and im trying to think of food that wont leave me feeling full .: btw whats the deal with reweighs? is that for people to make a last ditch effort to cut the last bit before it starts, or is it to check you havent gotten fatter in 30 minutes :P

You don't want to be eating too much protein on the day tbh. It'll be hard for your body to digest and could leave you feeling unwell.

Reweighs are for those who didn't make weight in whatever class they were hoping for.

hmm, so i should focus more on carbs and fats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

hmm, so i should focus more on carbs and fats?

Neither protein or fats on the day IMO, just carbs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Jaffa cakes, nuti grain shortcake bars, fruit, water, sugarfree redbull/boost.

I'd defo get about 3 bottles of the sugarfree boost stuff. Gonna be a long day!

EDIT: Just realised I was posting in Podge's log! Sorry for the clutter dude!!

Jaffa cakes, nuti grain shortcake bars, fruit, water, sugarfree redbull/boost.

I'd defo get about 3 bottles of the sugarfree boost stuff. Gonna be a long day!

EDIT: Just realised I was posting in Podge's log! Sorry for the clutter dude!!

You actually reminded me I need to stock up on some cereal bars, dunno how I forgot about them

Needed a break from studying today, so just did a little bit...

Pullups

Pulldowns

Pushups v Minin Band

So here's how my day went

Got there just before 10, weighed in at 104.2kg.

Squat
    #1: 195kg - Good
    #2: 212.5kg - No Good
    #3: 212.5kg - Good (2.5kg PR)

Squat warmups felt heavy, and my technique was way off. Couldnt get my knees out or keep my chest up. When Im training, I have mental cues for these things that come automatically, but that didnt happen yesterday. But I managed to get focused after bing stapled by 212.5, and somehow muscled it up. Really had to fight for it, toughest lift of my life - managed to bust blood vessels all over my face, chest and shoulders, as well as my eyes, but was really happy I made it

Bench
    #1: 105kg - Good
    #2: 110kg - Good
    #3: 115kg - Good (5kg PR)

Really surprised myself here. First 2 attempts were really easy, and 3rd wasn't too difficult either. I think I need a better bench to train on, it made a big difference

Deadlift
    #1: 230kg - Good
    #2: 242.5kg - Good (2.5kg PR)
    #3: 250kg - No Good

Opener was easy. 242 was a bit of a struggle, but never looked like missing it. Really had to fight hard for the 250, and it was extremely, slow, but I locked it out, and dont think I hitched it. Completely forgot to ask the judges why it got reds, which was a big mistake

Finished with a 570kg total, had a great day and really pleased with my lifts. Fairly sure I got talking to everyone who posts here. Had to be drug tested after too, which I suppose is a complement. I've never been as tired as I was when I got home yesterday, I was completely sapped.

Plan for nationals in March is +10kg on squat and bench, and a 260kg DL

vid:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Very nice. I'm impressed and inspired!

edit; badass song too!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Well done man, that was some great lifting yesterday fantastic fight on the squat..i thought you were unlucky on the 250 deadlift you'll defo get it next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Jaysus, that was awesome lifting!! That 3rd squat was very inspiring! Can't see why your 3rd deadlift wasn't allowed?

Don't take this the wrong way but why the hell is your bench so low in comparison to the other lifts?

sure look at the length of his arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

A bit like yourself Cardio :D

Even so the difference seems huge!

• Advertisement

yea, aside from his squat being more proportionate , our bench:deadlift ratio is much the same

87.5:180
    115:250

Advertisement