Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

BossArky wrote: »
    Best of luck at the competition!

Do you compete raw or equipped? I think raw... but heard you mention a bench shirt a few months back.

Thanks! I'm lifting raw, I do have a bench shirt that I've used a few times, but I've no real interest in lifting equipped atm

Did this session yesterday morning, but internet was down. Just worked up to my last warmups - everything felt great - roll on Saturday!

15 mins warmup

Squat
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    160kg x 1
    185kg x 1

Bench
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 2
    100kg x 1

Deadlift
    60kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    180kg x 1
    210kg x 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

good luck, hope you mess some **** up!

Weighed in at 102kg this morning - my scales are still saying I'm 107kg, so I guess I need new scales. It doesn't make much difference though, I haven't lost any weight recently, so there shouldn't be any effect on my strength

I'm not scheduled to lift until 3, so I came home for a few hours rest. The venue is great, and there is plenty of room and equipment for warming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Hope I'm not too late to say it but best of luck.

^Thanks Lads!^

Things didn't goes as well as I had hoped yesterday, but I still put in a decent performance. It was a great comp though, very well run and there were some great lifts

Heres how my day went:

Squat
    Warmups felt good until I got to 185kg, when I tweaked my knee slightly. It wasn't too bad though, and it wasn't worried by it.

Squat 1: 205kg - this was pretty easy, although I had trouble walking it out
    Squat 2: 225kg - had trouble walking it out again, came out of the hole ok, then my knee buckled and I fell backwards. The spotters did a great job of catching me
    Squat 3: 225kg - worst walkout of the lot, nearly fell over. Got buried in the hole, but some how ground it out for a good lift

Bench
    Warmups were fine, although I don't think I was pausing for long enough

Bench 1: 110kg - easy
    Bench 2: 120kg - felt easier than it looked, but I jumped the press call by a fraction of a second. Looking back at the vid, it was very close, but the right call
    Bench 120kg - had to pause it for what seemed like forever, got it a few inches of my chest and then stalled

Deadlift
    Warmups were good, although I knew I would struggle to get 260kg

Deadlift 1: 235kg - fairly easy
    Deadlift 2: 250kg - was thinking of going 255, but I really wanted to get 250 on the board. It was a bit slow, but I always knew I had it
    Deadlift 3: 257.5kg - started with the bar too far in front of me, and my heels came of the ground. Wasn't able to recover it

Finished with a 585kg total, which is a 15kg PR total, at 5kg lighter. I placed 4th out of 8 in the 110kg open, and 2nd out of 3 in the 110kg Jnr.

After yesterday I realised there are two things that are really holding me back - my bench, and my technique. I think I have the strength to squat 235+, and pull 260, but my technique is too inconsistent. For the next few months, I'm gonna join my old gym, try and get to 110kg by Christmas, work on my squat and DL technique, and bring my bench up.

edit: thanks to JOE and Vis Vires for keeping my head right after I missed my 2nd squat, and getting me fired up for my deadlifts, and to Liam for cheering me on too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Huge Balls on that third Squat lad, well done.

I have videos of your three deadlifts if you want them.
    Just pm me your email address if you do

I wouldnt be too knowledgable in PLing yet but I think thats a good plan for you.
    you have 8kgs worth of growing and can still be under 110kg, or would you consider dropping the 2kg and competing at 100kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Your physique has changed some amount in the past year. Can't believe you're 102kg only! You must have dropped some flab! If you grow up to 110kg, lean or not it will make such a difference to your leverages.

Great stuff to come back from the squat. Your luck has to change! 2 competitions where the gods have transpired against you.

I also wonder how much extra you'd squat without burying them like that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yeah agree with Kev... I don't tihnk you normally go that deep, but you just seemed to be soft and get crushed yesterday?!

Going to a full 110kg will make a MASSIVE difference. Don't be surprised to see 10% on your squat and bench with the gain.

I've had my fair share of bad comps so ya just gotta put the head down and cme back stronger next ttime! Or at least deliver the strength you have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done Paul. A 15kg PR on your total and you weren't at your best is very impressive.

That 3rd squat was ridiculously deep :eek:

How you managed to not get buried in the hole I will never know...

Huge Balls on that third Squat lad, well done.

I have videos of your three deadlifts if you want them.
    Just pm me your email address if you do

I wouldnt be too knowledgable in PLing yet but I think thats a good plan for you.
    you have 8kgs worth of growing and can still be under 110kg, or would you consider dropping the 2kg and competing at 100kg?

Cheers Liam, I definitely don't plan on going under 100kg, at my height I should really be 120kg+ to improve my leverages
    kevpants wrote: »
    Your physique has changed some amount in the past year. Can't believe you're 102kg only! You must have dropped some flab! If you grow up to 110kg, lean or not it will make such a difference to your leverages.

Great stuff to come back from the squat. Your luck has to change! 2 competitions where the gods have transpired against you.

I also wonder how much extra you'd squat without burying them like that!

Yeah, I was really surpised when I weighed in - I don't look any smaller than I did when I was 107kg. Playing football during the summer helped me lean out, and probably caused the weight loss. I don't plan on playing next year, so I can just focus on getting swole :D

I don't know why I was going so deep, I never feel comfortable squatting on the platform, it feels completely different to when I am training
    Hanley wrote: »
    Yeah agree with Kev... I don't tihnk you normally go that deep, but you just seemed to be soft and get crushed yesterday?!

Going to a full 110kg will make a MASSIVE difference. Don't be surprised to see 10% on your squat and bench with the gain.

I've had my fair share of bad comps so ya just gotta put the head down and cme back stronger next ttime! Or at least deliver the strength you have...

Yeah, I didn't feel solid under the bar at all - thats why I bottomed out on the squats.
    Getting to 110kg will be a big help in sorting out my bench, and hopefully having a few bad comps this year will just motivate me to come back bigger and better!
    Pavel66 wrote: »
    Well done Paul. A 15kg PR on your total and you weren't at your best is very impressive.

That 3rd squat was ridiculously deep :eek:

How you managed to not get buried in the hole I will never know...

Thanks Paul, I was hoping for a 50kg+ PR total but at least its something!

There was no chance of me giving up on the last squat, I'd have been gutted if I only came away with 205

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Great meeting you again on Saturday Paul. Incredible fight on your 3rd squat, especially after your second attempt.
    I agree what the lads are sating above about weight etc.

You're certainly due an incredible total soon, it's well within you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wow your squats are crazy deep

_JOE_ wrote: »
    Great meeting you again on Saturday Paul. Incredible fight on your 3rd squat, especially after your second attempt.
    I agree what the lads are sating above about weight etc.

You're certainly due an incredible total soon, it's well within you!

Thanks Joe, its about I've pulled my finger out and put up a good 3-lift total in a competition, hopefully it won't take me too much longer :D
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Wow your squats are crazy deep

Too deep!

Signed up to my old gym for the rest of the year, probably going to go there 2x per week, and at home 2x per week for the next 6ish weeks. Tonight was an absolute pump-fest, I'm not sure if all the weights on the machine stuff are right, I wasn't paying much attention

Pullups

DB Row
    30kg x 15
    38kg x 12
    42kg x 10
    46kg x 8

DB Curl
    14kg x 12
    16kg x 10
    16kg x 10

Lat Pulldown
    70kg x 10
    70kg x 10
    70kg x 10

Rope Hamer Curls
    30kg x 12
    35kg x 10
    35kg x 10

HS Row(weight per side)
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10

Back and arms were still really sore today but got a good session in. DB presses felt really weird, but dips were good - I'm trying to work up to 30+ at BW, my best ever is 33. Gonna do some benching and deads at home on Sunday

Dips
    BW x 15
    +10kg x 10
    BW x 15
    +10kg x 10
    BW x 15
    BW x 20

Seated DB Press
    22kg x 10
    22kg x 10
    22kg x 10

Leg Ext
    70kg x 15
    75kg x 12
    80kg x 10

Tri Pushdown
    25kg x 12
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10

Face Pulls
    30kg x 12
    40kg x 12
    50kg x 12

Still sore from lifting during the week, but I wanted to do a bit of bb work

Bench
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    95kg x 8
    95kg x 8

SLDL
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    140kg x 8
    140kg x 8

Wanted to DL 200kg x 7-8 today, but I had no talc or water, and the bar got stuck to my legs at the top of each rep- this made the lockout painfully slow. The 5 reps were wuick of the ground, but I knew I was wasting too much energy to get what I wanted

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    180kg x 3
    200kg x 5

DB Row
    38kg x 12
    42kg x 10
    46kg x 8

Lat Pulldown
    65kg x 12
    65kg x 12
    75kg x 10
    75kg x 10

Hamstring Curl
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 12
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10

Machine Preacher
    30kg x 12
    35kg x 12
    40kg x 10

Good session this evening - I tried doing some db shoulder pressing, but it didnt feel right and the hs presses were much better. Gonna get back squatting on Sat.

Dips
    BW x 15
    +8kg x 12
    +14kg x 9
    BW x 15
    BW x 15

HS Shoulder Press
    50kg x 15
    60kg x 12
    70kg x 9
    80kg x 6

DB Lunge
    20kg's x 10
    22kg's x 8
    22kg's x 8

DB Extension
    20kg x 12
    24kg x 12
    28kg x 10

Leg Extension
    75kg x 12
    75kg x 12

• Advertisement

Squatting felt a bit rusty today, but it wasn't too bad. I widened my stance a bit today, and focused on keeping my knees out
    The sumo rack pulls were fun, the bands added ~50kg at the top.

Squat (Beltless)
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    180kg x 5

Sumo Rack Pull w/dbl red bands
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    160kg x 5

AB Pulldown
    3 x 15

Benching was decent today, but the bar was absolutely freezing - my hands and fingers were numb for the whole session

Bench
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6

CG Decline
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 8
    80kg x 8

BB Row
    80kg x 10
    90kg x 8
    100kg x 6

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

cold bar can be annoying alright, last winter I used to bring it into the house! reminds me to do it now

Brendygg wrote: »
    cold bar can be annoying alright, last winter I used to bring it into the house! reminds me to do it now

Good idea, I'll have to try that this week! I don't mind training in the cold too much, but a cold bar is no fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Might work or might not but maybe get some pipe insulation and cut a length to fit your bar. It'd be easy to put on and take off and is cheap enough.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Might work or might not but maybe get some pipe insulation and cut a length to fit your bar. It'd be easy to put on and take off and is cheap enough.

I actually thought the same thing a few minutes after I posted this morning, I taped 2 layers of it around the bar, and taped it so it was nice and tight. Hopefully it'll do the job

First time doing proper sumo deads tonight, I think I'll alternate sumo/conv each week. I widened my stance with each set, my heels were in line with the rings on the final set. They felt pretty solid, but I don't think I'll be switching over anytime soon

Sumo Deads (Beltless)
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    160kg x 3
    180kg x 3
    180kg x 3
    180kg x 3

Lat Pulldown
    65kg x 12
    75kg x 10
    75kg x 10
    65kg x 12

DB Row
    38kg x 15
    50kg x 7
    42kg x 10

Hyper
    +10kg x 15
    +10kg x 15
    +10kg x 12

BB Curl
    30kg x 15
    35kg x 12

Machine Preacher
    30kg x 12
    35kg x 10

Wasn't in the mood to train tonight, but I managed to get a good, quick session in

Dips
    BW x 15
    +20kg x 7
    +14kg x 10
    BW x 15

DB Lunges
    20kg x 10
    24kg x 8
    24kg x 8

HS Shoulder Press
    50kg x 12
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 8
    60kg x 6

Tri Pushdown
    30kg x 15
    35kg x 12
    30kg x 15

Face Pulls
    45kg x 15
    55kg x 12
    60kg x 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭here to be trained

hey man jus reading your posts and wondering how is your body looking as a result of all the lifting - whats your bf%, weight etc, are u happy wit progress?

• Advertisement

hey man jus reading your posts and wondering how is your body looking as a result of all the lifting - whats your bf%, weight etc, are u happy wit progress?

I've been lifting for about 3 years, I started off at about 75kg and I'm 105kg now. Not sure about bf%, but I'd guess its gone from ~12% to ~16%. I'm happy with my progress, I just want to be big, so I could still do with gaining another 15/20kg.

Advertisement