Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

jeez, sweat in the eyes must be a concentration breaker, a bit on my forehead pisses me off no end :)

haha, yeah - it wouldnt have been so bad if it was my own, but the fact that it was someone elses threw me off completely

- Another good lift today. Like I said, i did some block pulls instead of deads, i have been struggling a bit with lockouts, but they seemed good today. Worked up to 227.5kgx3, which was the first time ive ever held 500lbs, felt pretty good
    - My OHPs are very inconsistant, followin the 5x5 increases isnt working, so i will just do what i feel capable of, and try and increase the weight / reps each week

Squats
    20kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Seated OH pres
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 4

Block Pull (1.5" below knee)
    60kg x 8
    120kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    200kg x 4
    227.5kg x 3

Lat Pulldown
    72.5kg x 12
    80kg x 10
    65kg x 15

- Decent session, nothing spectacular, but im happy with it.
    - Ive realised that on fridays my squat form isnt the best, think it might have something to do with deads on wednesday. Today was alright tho, just a bit wobbly.
    - Ive managed to sort things out and will be entering the IDFPA nationals, as it got closer, i really wanted to go, so i managed to make it happen. Im confident of a much better performance. Not going to change too much about training, will probably hit my openers 10 days before and then deload.

Squats
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    147.5kg x 3
    110kg x 8

Bench
    20kg x 8
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 3
    67.5kg x 8

BB Row
    50kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5
    102.5kg x 3
    75kg x 8

Dips
    +24kg x 8
    +24kg x 8
    BW x 12

Machine Preacher

- Good workout, wasnt feeling great all day, but managed to put that aside
    - Another PR on squats, fixing my form has really helped, the 147.5 didnt feel hard, but i was shaking again on the last 2 reps. I feel like im in a good position to double 155 as my opener next week.
    - Only managed 4 reps on bench again, first 4 were perfect, but on the last rep i lost my shape and my wrists seemed to go weak, and the bar ended up on the middle of my stomach.

Squat
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    112.5kg x 5
    132.5kg x 5
    147.5kg x 5
    PR

DB side bends
    28kg x 12
    28kg x 12

Standing Abs

Bench
    20kg x 8
    45kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    92.5kg x 4

BB Row
    50kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    102.5kg x 5
    PR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

nice rows

• Advertisement

- Happy with this workout, hit my dead opener for an easy double
    - Didnt want to do too much else, was supposed to do some light squatting, but my wrists and shoulders have been taking a beating from squats lately, so i gave them a rest and done some zerchers.

Deads
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 2
    185kg x 2
    200kg x 1
    207.5kg x 2

Military Press
    47.5kg x 10
    55kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Zercher Squat
    50kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5

- Very, very pleased with tonights session. Woke up with an awful pain in my hip this morning, and was limping all day and couldnt lift my leg. I thought there was no chance of me squatting today, but i tested it out and warmed up - pain free and i managed to hit my 150x3 target easily.
    - Benching was also good, felt strong and got a decent pause on all reps. Didnt do much accessory work, because the gym was very warm, meaning I took longer and got tired quicker.
    - Very pleased with my training and confident about the comp. I havent missed a rep on squats since the single lifts, and benching has been consistant too. I missed a lot of lifts before the single lifts, which wasnt great for confidence

Squats
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    112.5kg x 5
    132.5kg x 5
    150kg x 3
    112.5kg x 8

BB Row
    50kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    105kg x 3

Bench
    20kg x 8
    45kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 2
    95kg x 3
    70kg x 8

Dips
    +26kg x 8
    +26kg x 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Missing lifts is ultra bad for recovery too!!

you seem to be coming into this comp in a much better place than last time. Good work!

Hanley wrote: »
    Missing lifts is ultra bad for recovery too!!

you seem to be coming into this comp in a much better place than last time. Good work!

thanks, im definately in a better position all-round - training, confidence and i have been getting way more recovery

im glad i did the single lifts tho, first-time nerves are out of the way, and I have made a lot of changes to my form from watching some of the better lifters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

podge57 wrote: »
    thanks, im definately in a better position all-round - training, confidence and i have been getting way more recovery

im glad i did the single lifts tho, first-time nerves are out of the way, and I have made a lot of changes to my form from watching some of the better lifters

Exactly... I know no-one wants to hear it, and I know I still don't. But bad meets are good. You learn a lot about what not to do from them!

The one thing I've tried to do over the last 18 months is really examine why comps have gone well!! It's too easy just to pat yourself on the back after a good one without actually asking yourself why it was good and drilling down to some specifics!!

• Advertisement

- Things didnt go to well today. Only got 150x4 squat, racked it after 4 because form was desperate - knees coming in, very slow. This never happens me, so i think im a little burnt out. Im not too worried, I had one of those days today. I hit my numbers easily on friday, things just didnt go right today
    - Didnt try benching heavy, only worked up to 82.5x5, 95 wasnt happening.
    - I will not lift again until friday, plenty of rest and food, and i should get my 150x2 squat no problem

Squat
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    132.5kg x 5
    150kg x 4

BB Row
    50kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    105kg x 5

Bench
    47.5kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5

- Glad I took a break until today, felt much better today
    - Got my 155x2 squat really easily, which will be my opener. Narrowed my stance a bit, was getting a lot of momentum out of the hole
    - Managed 100x2 paused bench, but it was harder than expected, so i will open with 97.5, just to get an easy opener in.

Squat
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 4
    115kg x 3
    130kg x 2
    150kg x 1
    155kg x 2

Bench
    20kg x 10
    50kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    75kg x 3
    85kg x 3
    95kg x 1
    100kg x 2

Havent done too much this week, with the comp on saturday

did some light squatting on tuesday, some pulldowns and tri pushdowns
    ive been doing a load of studying this week, and i get mild tendonitis in my elbow from writing, and high-rep , low-weight pushdowns help

im also stretching a lot, esp shoulders and legs to try and keep them loose

nothing else to report, looking forward to the comp, ive been eating loads, and i should weigh in at about 95kg

good luck at the comp

good luck at the comp

thanks!

i dont think i did myself justice the last time, so im hoping for mch better on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

The very best of luck to you on Saturday!!

I definitely agree that you didn't do yourself justice the last time, you're a good lifter and the squats messed you up so you didn't get a chance to show that off. (well, you did at the end ;)). Anyway, might see you on Saturday, will come over and say hi this time!! Good luck again! :)

we all wish ya the best, show that weight whos boss!

Malteaser! wrote: »
    The very best of luck to you on Saturday!!

I definitely agree that you didn't do yourself justice the last time, you're a good lifter and the squats messed you up so you didn't get a chance to show that off. (well, you did at the end ;)). Anyway, might see you on Saturday, will come over and say hi this time!! Good luck again! :)
    we all wish ya the best, show that weight whos boss!

thanks folks!

i really appreciate it. Im looking forward to it now, im a lot more relaxed, just want to get out their and lift :D
    got off to a bad start the last time, so i want to get a solid squat opener in and take it from there

Ill definately say hello if i see you there on sat.

so podgy, howd ya do?

so podgy, howd ya do?

all in all, i am delighted with how i done
    went 7 for 9, missing 2 bench attempts

weighed in at 94kg, which is up 4kg since the february comp

squatted 172.5, which was a 15kg pr, and I think I was good for another five

bench was poor, hit my 97.5 opener, ended up missing my next 2 @ 102.5, the third attempt, i got to about 3" from lockout

Deads were great. Got an easy 210, opener, then 225, which was a WDFPF world record for the 18-19 100kg class
    Got 230 on my 3rd, it was tough, but a pretty solid lift, and i was delighted because it got me my 500kg total
    Was allowed a 4th attempt for the WR, tried 235, but I was burnt, and only got it about an inch off the ground.

It was a really long day, but very enjoyable and rewarding, and I got to meet some kevpants, his wife, hanley and malteaser which was great too.

I was feeling ok right after it, but in the car on the way home, soreness started to set in. Im tired, and everywhere is sore - lower back, hams, glutes, lats, shoulders, forearms - everywhere

In the last comp, I missed a 157.5 squat twice, and a 222.5 dead, so Im very happy with what I achieved this time

I have vids of most of my lifts, theyre uploading to youtube right now, so ill post them when theyre done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

podge57 wrote: »
    Deads were great. Got an easy 210, opener, then 225, which was a WDFPF world record for the 18-19 100kg class

You legend. Well done!

Unlucky with the 4th world record attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Podge was seriously impressive on Saturday. His deadlift is really something else.

PM me your email address Podge if you want any of the vids Wifepants took of your lifts, I know your camera was giving some trouble. Start a thread on the main forum when you get your vids up, you should broadcast your World record!

BossArky wrote: »
    You legend. Well done!

Unlucky with the 4th world record attempt.
    thanks very much!

I think i was still on a high after the 230, and only got about 2 mins in between the attempts, so it was always going to be a long shot
    kevpants wrote: »
    Podge was seriously impressive on Saturday. His deadlift is really something else.

PM me your email address Podge if you want any of the vids Wifepants took of your lifts, I know your camera was giving some trouble. Start a thread on the main forum when you get your vids up, you should broadcast your World record!

Youre making me blush :pac:

that would be great if you could send a few on, mine turned out a bit blurry, and i deleted my second deadlift.

Make sure to says thanks to "Wifepants" again for me

anyway, hers the vid, i edited in some music, because i dont think my dad wants his shouting broadcast on the internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The speed of those deadlifts was excellent, very impressive. How tall are you podge??

The speed of those deadlifts was excellent, very impressive. How tall are you podge??

thanks, i think my long arms help getting momentum once i clear the ground.
    Im just over 6'3"

Anyway, back to the gym today:
    - Still recovering, so not going to start back properly until next week, so just done some random stuff today.
    - Such a comedown going from the platform to the worlds most commercial gym, but what can you do...
    - Didnt record what i did, but im fairly sure its all accurate.

Military Press
    40kg x 12
    50kg x 9
    57.5kg x 6
    62.5kg x 3

Bodyweight Dips

Bodyweight Chins

Lat Pulldowns

Leg Press
    120kg x 12
    170kg x 12
    230kg x 7

havent done much at all this week, have recovered since the comp., but then picked up some food poisoning, which wasnt fun

feeling better, but havent got much energy, and went for over 24hrs without eating, so im just taking it easy until monday - im just happy it didnt happen last week

ugh food poisoning, one thing i wouldnt like to train with.

ugh food poisoning, one thing i wouldnt like to train with.

yeah, lifting and eating were the last things on my mind, which is very unusual for me

- Jumped on the 5/3/1 bandwagon - it should be compatable with the cardio ill be doing for football. Today didnt go great, EVERYTHING felt hard and EVERYTHING was sore. My groin in particular was bad, and it was hard to push my knees out. It was my first full workout in 17 days, so i suppose it was to be expected
    - I think I set my squat max too high - I exceeded the 5 rep target, but at this stage, I should be getting more than I did. I used 167.5 as my max, but Im going to drop it to 162.5 from next week.
    - Did zerchers as an assistance move, one of my fav. exercise, hits my core like nothing else.
    - Not the best start, but its a start...

Squats
    20kg x 12
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 8
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    130kg x 7

DB Lunges
    26kg's x 10 (per leg)
    26kg's x 10 (per leg)

Zercher Squat
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 8
    75kg x 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Another convert!

You've set your max too high there, in fact 162.5 is way too high as well!! You take 90% of your max and this is your "531 max". In fact it's better to go for 85% the lower you go the better. I'd say set your max at 150 and work from there. I set my max at 170 starting off and it has only progressed to 180 for the purposes of calculating the weights and it's working great even though it's 35kg below my true max. My bench, I think I set a little high so I might need to recalculate them down shortly.

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    Another convert!

You've set your max too high there, in fact 162.5 is way too high as well!! You take 90% of your max and this is your "531 max". In fact it's better to go for 85% the lower you go the better. I'd say set your max at 150 and work from there. I set my max at 170 starting off and it has only progressed to 180 for the purposes of calculating the weights and it's working great even though it's 35kg below my true max. My bench, I think I set a little high so I might need to recalculate them down shortly.

yup, if theres a bandwagon, you can be sure ill hop on it :D

I did use the 90% of 167.5, so I actually had 150 as my training max, but i think that was too high, because Ive never had more than 160 on my back in the gym.
    Im lowering it to 160, and 90% of that is 145, which would mean i should have done 122.5 on monday

Advertisement