Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

dont u come in on my collarbone turf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

- Another v. good session - set some decent prs, including bench, which is the most important. Started pulling the bar out of the rack instead of lifting, def. helped me keep my upper back tightness.
    - Face pulls and pulldowns were great, elbow buckled a bit on the 4th rep of inclines, so stopped there.

Bench
    20kg x 15
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    77.5kg x 9PR

Lat Pulldown
    72.5kg x 12
    80kg x 10
    87.5kg x 8 PR

Incline db
    24kg's x 15
    28kg's x 12
    34kg's x 4

Face Pulls
    22.5kg x 15
    25kg x 12
    27.5kg x 10 PR

Machine Preacher

- Didnt get this typed up yesterday, was too busy getting sunburnt and stuff.
    - It went ok, not a pr, but ive gotten pretty big prs for the last 2 weeks, and i wasnt far off yesterday. I was thinking about going for a 7th rep, but when you need to think about it, i think its a sign not to go for it. Still in a decent position for 145x5 next week which would be a pr
    - Tried the barbell complex just for something different. At first it felt easy, but got hard during the second set. I know there is a name for it, but i cant remember. Also starting to get the hang of standing pulldowns.

Squat
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 5
    107.5kg x 3
    122.5kg x 3
    137.5kg x 6
    95kg x 10 (OLY Style)
    95kg x 10 (OLY Style)

Standing AB Pulldown
    25kg x 15
    30kg x 15
    35kg x 12

Barbell Complex (Hang Clean>Front Squat>OHP>Back Squat>BNP>Repeat)
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3

Zercher
    65kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    75kg x 5

- Military presses went well today - form was really strict and I was happy with the 6 reps
    - Been having problems with dips lately, maybe i should do them at a different time. Tried a few, but it was too painful, so did some weighted pushups. Elbows have also been getting sore, I have some sleeves ordered though.
    - Finally got a pr on db rows, ive been stuck on 6-7 reps @ 46kg forever, but got 8 at the second attempt today.

Military
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 3
    55kg x 6 PR
    45kg x 10

Pushups
    BW x 25
    +10kg x 12
    +10kg x 12

DB Rows
    38kg x 12
    46kg x 6
    46kg x 8pr
    38kg x 12

DB Extension
    34kg x 8
    30kg x 10
    28kg x 12

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

podge57 wrote: »
    - Been having problems with dips lately, maybe i should do them at a different time. Tried a few, but it was too painful,
    Might you be dipping too deeply? I got a bad shoulder from deep weighted dips on rings. I made a small dipstand and it is so low that I cannot physically go too deep. I also have a towel on the ground so when my knee tips it I know to come back up, that I have gone deep enough. My arms are at 90degrees in the lowest position.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Might you be dipping too deeply? I got a bad shoulder from deep weighted dips on rings. I made a small dipstand and it is so low that I cannot physically go too deep. I also have a towel on the ground so when my knee tips it I know to come back up, that I have gone deep enough. My arms are at 90degrees in the lowest position.

its possible - ive been using a narrower grip, which i think allows me to go deeper. I might switch back to a wider grip and only go to about 90 degrees.

it was definately at the bottom portion of the dip where i was feeling the pain

thanks

- Great session - want expecting much because i have been lifting a lot of boxes for work and i seem to have permanent DOMS in my traps. But it went well, and im pretty sure deads and gms were both prs.
    - Went light on the deficits, because id alreadu put in a lot of work, so i just worked from a bigger deficit

Deads
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 5
    145kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    185kg x 6 PR

GM
    72.5kg x 10
    82.5kg x 8
    85kg x 8 PR

Deficit DB SLDL
    34kg's x 12 (2.5")
    38kg's x 10 (3.5")
    38kg's x 10 (3.5")

- Very pleased with my benching today. Setup and form were perfect, had a good arch. On week 3 of the last wave i got 85x5, so this is a great increase.
    - Didnt make it to the gym until 6.15, and at that point i had no intention of spending any more time than neccessary there (and the ireland game was about to start!) The whole session lasted 21 minutes:pac:

Bench
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 3
    72.5kg x 3
    82.5kg x 8 PR

UH Pullups

Face Pull
    22.5kg x 15
    27.5kg x 10
    30kg x 8

- this was an okay session. Took some nasty knocks to my knee and hip playing football yesterday (ran into a goalpost - dont ask :rolleyes:). At the start, my hip was really sore, and felt like it was cramping, and i found it hard to keep my knees out, but the more i squatted, the better it got.
    - Probably could have got 6 reps, which would have been a nice pr, but considering i got 137.5x6 last week, i think 145x5 is decent
    - didnt do much else, was tired from work, but i wont be working much after 2moro, so ill up the volume a bit.

Squat
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    145kg x 5

Hanging knee Raise

DB Side Bend
    30kg x 15
    34kg x 12
    34kg x 12

- Bah, OH presses sucked today. After 3 reps i was sure i would get 5, but on #4 ileaned back way too far and was never going to clear my head. Pretty annoying, but not the end of the world
    - The assistance stuff was good, was able to do dips properly and even added some weight. First time using the 50kg db for rows, 5 reps was pretty good.
    - Might not deload next week, because i havent been using a lot of volume lately and im getting plenty of rest. May come back and bite me in the ass, but if it does, at least ill know for the future.

Military
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 3
    60kg x 3

Dips
    BW x 20
    +15kg x 10
    +15kg x 10

Seated Behind Neck Press
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 7
    45kg x 7

DB Row
    38kg x 12
    42kg x 10
    42kg x 10
    50kg x 5

Machine Preacher
    25kg x 20
    30kg x 20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nice rowing. Very very nice!

is there any advantage to behind the next pressing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hits Medial and Posterior Heads about as equally as Anterior Head.

Nice rowing. Very very nice!

thanks! ive always been pretty good at all types of rows and pulldowns and stuff

nah, not really

i havent really found a shoulder exercise that i like, so ive just been experimenting with a few different ones. I havent done bnp's in a long time, it will probably be a long time before i do them again :pac:

edit:
    Hits Medial and Posterior Heads about as equally as Anterior Head.

^That too, but i think military presses and face pulls cover all the angles

cheers for that. I hate shoulder exercises :P, Lateral raises are the only things that dont make me feel sick.

- Used a different gym today, some of the plates were in lbs, so the weights are a bit strange. There was some great equipment there, kb's, ghr, rev. hyper and good quality bars, and just when things were starting to look up, i was asked to lower the bar more gently on deads :mad:
    - Up 2.5kg since the last wave on deads, although i was hoping for 5 reps today, maybe i would have got them if i didnt have to focus on lowering the bar so much.
    - PR on GMs, they felt good, the bar i was using def. helped. First time using a proper reverse hyper too, it was pretty good, felt it a lot in my back, glutes and abs.

Deads
    61kg x 8
    101.5kg x 5
    141.5kg x 3
    154kg x 5
    175kg x 3
    195kg x 4

GM
    76.5kg x 10
    83.5kg x 10
    94.5kg x 7 (PR)

DB Lunge
    26kg's x 9 per leg
    26kg's x 9 per leg

Reverse Hyper
    10kg x 7
    10kg x 7
    10kg x 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What gym was that in????

Nice deadlifting.... looks like you and Kev could be having a nice battle....

Hanley wrote: »
    What gym was that in????

Nice deadlifting.... looks like you and Kev could be having a nice battle....

its a place called "the gym" in dundalk
    the owner was actually pretty sound, but its on the second floor, and he said they get complaints when theres too much noise.
    might still join up anyway, they have pretty much everything you could need

i was pretty happy with the deads, would have been happier with another rep, but progress is progress

i just wish i coul have batle with him on squats :pac:

- Pretty happy with this. Probably one rep shy of last weeks pr, but well up from the last wave (+2.5kg, +1 rep). Forgot my chalk, which meant i had to adjust my grip after each rep, so i was taking longer between reps than i would like.
    - Getting better at pullups, face pulls were good again.
    - Finished with wave 2, seeing some good improvements. On deads, im getting 2.5kg extra for the same reps as in wave 1. For squats, im getting 5kg extra for the same/similar reps, and on bench weights are up by 2.5kg and reps are up too.

Bench
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    77.5kg x 3
    87.5kg x 6

Pullups

DB Floor Press
    30kg's x 12
    30kg's x 12
    26kg's x 15

Face Pull
    22.5kg x 15
    25kg x 12
    27.5kg x 10

Face Pull
    22.5kg x 15
    25kg x 12
    27.5kg x 10

Podge i find that around the 30kg mark is where i like it for Face Pulls too, get a nice retraction and it just feels right. Yet Cardio and Malteaser both smoke us in the weight stakes!! my question is....whats up with that!!

Also i still hate your deadlift!

• Advertisement

Podge i find that around the 30kg mark is where i like it for Face Pulls too, get a nice retraction and it just feels right. Yet Cardio and Malteaser both smoke us in the weight stakes!! my question is....whats up with that!!

Also i still hate your deadlift!

lol, dont know what the story is there.
    I use one of those cable crossover machines - for the 27.5kg set, the stack actually says 55kg, but it feels too light, so i think that the 55kg would be if you were using both cables??

i still hate your bench...deadlifts are more manly tho :pac:

lol, dont know what the story is there.
    I use one of those cable crossover machines - for the 27.5kg set, the stack actually says 55kg, but it feels too light, so i think that the 55kg would be if you were using both cables??

i still hate your bench...deadlifts are more manly tho :pac:

only to other men!!

when was the last time a bird said how much do you deadlift, come to think of it all they ever say to me is "whats that fat for and where are your abs!!

only to other men!!

when was the last time a bird said how much do you deadlift, come to think of it all they ever say to me is "whats that fat for and where are your abs!!

lol, your perspective is alot different than mine

- So im not deloading prior to this wave, i feel the volume was pretty low in the last wave, and its not going to affect my progress.
    - PR's accross the board today, delighted with squats - +5kg to my pr and same amount of reps. During wave 4, i will probably go for a max on squats, i feel im capable of 180+.
    - Nice pr's on concentric zerchers and ab pulldowns too, both were relatively easy - def getting stronger

Squat
    20kg x 10
    70kg x 7
    102.5kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    135kg x 9 PR

Kneeling Ab Pulldown
    35kg x 20
    42.5kg x 12
    50kg x 10 PR

Concentric Zercher
    65kg x 10
    75kg x 8
    85kg x 6 PR

- Shoulders were a bit knotted up from squatting yesterday, so dind tgo over the 5 reps today. Still felt pretty hard - god i hate military pressing.
    - Everything else was pretty good, weight starting to come back on dips, and got a rep pr on db rows.
    - My apt elbow sleevs arrived when i got home, so didnt get the chance to use them, but tried them on and they feel good. Have been getting a good bit on inflammation in my elbows, so these might help along with icing them. Got a really good deal on them - E16 including shipping from the US. Will post link if anyone is interested.

Military
    20kg x 10
    42.5kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Dips
    BW x 15
    +16kg x 10
    +16kg x 8

DB Rows
    38kg x 12
    46kg x 10 PR
    34kg x 18

Standing DB Military
    16kg's x 15
    18kg's x 10
    20kg's x 8

Machine Preacher
    35kg x 15
    25kg x 25

So I decided to deload last week - got a cold, and wasnt in a condition to be setting pr's

felt fine by the weekend, but decided to leave it until wednesday before i did anything heavy again, so i will pick back up with deads on wednesday

ive done 2 workouts, on saturday and today, but i dont feel like writing everything down, so ill summarize

sat: incline db PR of 34'sx8, some deads up to 125x5, sumo sldls and some back stuff.

today: Pullup PR of 14 reps, some light benching, squatting and ab work

- Deload is over, today went pretty well. Hoped for 8 reps on deads, got 7 which was ok. Last wave got 175x7, so im 5kg up on that, and it was probably close to a pr. Confident i can get 190x6 next week, 90% on week 2 seems to be emerging as my strongest week for deads.
    - GMs were good, 2kg off my pr, and then finished with some pulldowns.

Deads
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 5
    137.5kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    180kg x 7 VID:

GM
    70kg x 10
    82.5kg x 10
    92.5kg x 7

Standing AB Pulldown
    25kg x 15
    30kg x 12
    30kg x 12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Speed off the floor is just mad.... ya so coulda got 8 btw ;)

Hanley wrote: »
    Speed off the floor is just mad.... ya so coulda got 8 btw ;)

thanks, they do look pretty fast and easy, they felt crappy at the time tho, and the 7th felt so slow that i stopped there

probably was good for 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Good stuff Podge, very impressive. You're on the road to being Ireland's next 300kg deadlifter :D

Advertisement