Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats, Squats, Squats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

- First session at home today, its not complete, but all the essentials are there. I just need to get the flooring in and get rid of some other stuff so ican have more space. It was great though, the rack is quality, and I enjoyed having no-one there to bother me.
    - Nothing special about the workout, just a recovery day in preparation for the heavy day on friday. First time doing bb floor press, they felt good. The 87.5kg set felt a bit heavy for a recovery day, so i dropped 2.5kg for the other sets.
    - If anyone is wondering, the neck harness is homemade. Ill try and get a pic up later - it looks awful, but gets the job done. I will get some vids from my heavy day on friday too

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Floor Press
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 4
    87.5kg x 3
    85kg x 3
    85kg x 3

Pullups

GM
    60kg x 7
    80kg x 7
    80kg x 7
    80kg x 7

Neck Harness
    10kg x 30+

Floor Press Vid:

Pics:

cimg1975q.jpg

cimg1977u.jpg

cimg1978o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Can i move into your house?

Can i move into your house?

no spare beds...

(and before you ask, I dont want to share :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Nice podge! glad to see your happy with it! btw great crotch shot in the vid! :D:D:D, you have some stack of weights btw, ive got 2000 atm, i should really do something like this :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sweet set up dude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

RE: APT belt, how long did delivery on that take?

oh btw, sweet can of wd40 and drawers

Nice podge! glad to see your happy with it! btw great crotch shot in the vid! :D:D:D, you have some stack of weights btw, ive got 2000 atm, i should really do something like this :D

trust you to notice my crotch....
    ive got 257.5kg, so im sorted weighwise for a while.

Hanley wrote: »
    Sweet set up dude!!

Thanks, it beats my old gym by miles
    grimloch wrote: »
    RE: APT belt, how long did delivery on that take?

took about 2 weeks, i think. It wasnt too long anyway - if you are ordering from there, use the code "2FREE" and you'll get 20% off and free wrist wraps
    oh btw, sweet can of wd40 and drawers

haha, yeah - im hoping to clear that out of the way this weekend, it was a bit of a squeeze loading the bar !

are u insinuating im ghey sir? :P

• Advertisement

are u insinuating im ghey sir? :P

youre the one who brought it up (no pun intended)

that pun was well intended, twas a good one aswell :D

- Today was great - some very nice squat and bench pr's. The squats werent the prettiest - knees came in a bit, but im working on that - i think my toes were pointed out too much aswell. Also, dont ask what i was doing on the 4th rep - i have no idea. Overall, im very hapy w/ it tho, i handled the weight fairly well, and it is a good pr.
    - Hopefully ive made a big breakthrough w/ benching too. I was stuck around the 100kg mark for ages - old pr's were 100x2 / 102.5x2, so i was really happy with the 105 double today.
    - Deads were decent considering they were after heavy bench and squats. If anyone is curious, i threw my singlet on to stop the bar getting caught in my shorts.

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    135kg x 2
    155kg x 5 PR

Bench
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 2
    92.5kg x 1
    105kg x 2 PR

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    180kg x 2
    202.5kg x 3

vid (5th rep may have been a little high)

also, heres a vid of me missing 155x1 in Jan. this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9y_gOH1SKM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Great improvements man.
    I'm probably completely wrong here, but them plates look a little shorter than normal ?
    Sweet setup you've got there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Kev M wrote: »
    Great improvements man.
    I'm probably completely wrong here, but them plates look a little shorter than normal ?
    Sweet setup you've got there also!

They have those new types of 20kg in Raw aswell, they're a bit smaller than the older 20kg plates, about the same size as the older 15kg ones. Learned my mistake when I was doing rows and could not for the life of me figure out why one side was so much harder to pull than the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The squats weren't pretty.. but who cares about being pretty????

One thing I would say tho, and it's hard to tell from that angle, it looks like your chest is caving in a serious way and your elbows are pointing back and not being pulled under the bar. That's why you're getting pulled so far forward at the bottom. That being said, your strength's in your back so it may not be the worst.

And a bit of talc or some cotton tracksuit bottoms will solve that bar catching issue!

Kev M wrote: »
    Great improvements man.
    Sweet setup you've got there also![/QUOTE
    Thanks! - the plates might be a bit short, ill have to check it out, but ive a feeling you could be right
    Hanley wrote: »
    The squats weren't pretty.. but who cares about being pretty????

One thing I would say tho, and it's hard to tell from that angle, it looks like your chest is caving in a serious way and your elbows are pointing back and not being pulled under the bar. That's why you're getting pulled so far forward at the bottom. That being said, your strength's in your back so it may not be the worst.

And a bit of talc or some cotton tracksuit bottoms will solve that bar catching issue!

yeah, i do need to focus on getting my elbows under the bar, especially at getting near the bottom, thats when they seem to get pushed back. Ill make sure to focus on that on my 5x5 this week.

Might try the talc out next week, at least i dont have to worry about making a mess at home!

your lookin pretty big now podge! bigger than the last vid i saw of you anyway

your lookin pretty big now podge! bigger than the last vid i saw of you anyway

Thanks - im around 100kg now - the last 5-6 weeks have been slow weight gain wise - working in a physical job and playing football means i have to eat a lot just not to lose weight. Theyll both be finished in 4 weeks max tho, so Ill try and pick it back up then

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Nice setup podge. I'm envious.

Is that home gym in a spare room, garage or hut down the garden? Looks like it is made of wood? Be careful not to fail backwards or you could bring the house down - literally :D

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Nice setup podge. I'm envious.

Is that home gym in a spare room, garage or hut down the garden? Looks like it is made of wood? Be careful not to fail backwards or you could bring the house down - literally :D

Thanks - its a shed out in the garden, hopefully its pretty sturdy, although i dont intend on finding out anytime soon :D

It'll probably get a bit cold in the winter, i think a few portable heaters may be called for...

- Today felt good - i was focusing on getting my elbows under the bar and keeping my head and chest back. There is a big difference in the vid - the weight is lighter, but i think focus was the main reason for the difference.
    - Benching was solid, all reps moved fairly easily. After benching, I was wrecked, the shed has better insulation than i though - ive rarely sweated as much. Rows were a bit sloppy, JM presses were good tho

Squat
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    132.5kg x 5 (oops!)
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5

Bench
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

BB Row
    80kg x 8
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5

Hanging Leg Raises

JM Press
    45kg x 12
    45kg x 12
    45kg x 12

Vid of squats

Lookin way more solid! podge, must be nice to be able to record without having to worry about people looking at you like a weirdo, and you get your own music!

Lookin way more solid! podge, must be nice to be able to record without having to worry about people looking at you like a weirdo, and you get your own music!

Thanks - its great having some privacy to record my lifts and listen to whatever i want (my old gym used to play mtv dance 24/7 :o)

Its also great to see what im doing wrong, its a lot easier to correct things when you can watch them back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Man you've filled out! Even wifepants noticed looking over my shoulder at your vid!

We're the same weight! Reckon we'll have a nice battle next year in the 100kg class. So long as you don't get any more jacked!

kevpants wrote: »
    Man you've filled out! Even wifepants noticed looking over my shoulder at your vid!

We're the same weight! Reckon we'll have a nice battle next year in the 100kg class. So long as you don't get any more jacked!

ha, thanks - ive realised that junk food is my friend :D

Ill be disappointed if im not in the 110kg class next year, ive got 6-7 months of eating ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

not that my numbers are anywhere near good enough yet, but im trying to go the other way
    was 115kg 2 weeks ago, down to 111kg now, would love to drop 12 more kilos, get to 99/100kg and compete at that level in my first comp. junk food is not my friend howandever!

that's some serious squatting podge.
    well done

- Nice quick session, not much to write about...

Squat
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    102.5kg x 5
    102.5kg x 5

Floor Press
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 3
    87.5kg x 3
    87.5kg x 3

Pullups/Chins (All different grips)

Concentric Zercher
    60kg x 8
    82.5kg x 6
    82.5kg x 6
    82.5kg x 6

Neck Harness
    10kg x 3 sets

- Relatively happy with today - I didnt get home until 4 this morning, so i was worried i would have no energy, but i was ok. Squat form was better than last week, still not perfect - really need to force those elbows under. 165x2 is technically a pr, but I know I could get 170-172, so im not really counting it as a pr.
    - Not sure what to make of benching today - after 105x2 last week, I was hoping for 112.5-115 today, but after 110, I knew it wasnt happening today. 110 is a pr tho, and 12.5kg up since the nationals, so cant complain too much.
    - Was very pleased with deads, esp after all the heavy sets before. I seem to be hitting a sticking point at lockout though, I think Ill have to add more upper back work. Next week, I will do deads first and attempt some sort of PR. Next week I will also be sticking between 3-5 reps on the intensity day, and probably for the next few weeks

Squat
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 2
    150kg x 1
    165kg x 2
    165kg x 2

Bench
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 1
    110kg x 1 PR

Deads
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 3
    180kg x 2
    210kg x 2
    210kg x 2

• Advertisement

I have also started using the logging software on Mike Tuscherers site - its pretty useful for the way I have my training structured atm

heres just a few of the things it tells you: (I only record what I consider to be worksets)

Exercise.....NL.....Avg%..Ton....70-79%......80-89%....90-100%...Stress Num
    Squat........39.....72.0....4873....25 ..............0 .............4............322

Bench........27.....88.3....2210....25...............0..............2............305

Deadlift.......6......82.7....1200.....2...............4..............0.............38

NL means the total reps for the week
    Avg% is the avg % of 1rm
    Ton means the total weight done in a week
    The %'s show the amount of reps per week performed at each percentage

For the week, here are the amount of reps i performed at each % over all exercises
    70-74%.....75-79%.......80-84%....85-89%.....90-94%.......95-100%
    ...53............11.............25.............4...............5................1

Also the Average % for the week was 78%

Heres what is probably the most important part for me

Monday- High Volume, Moderate Intensity

Squat - AV: 70%
    Bench - AV: 74%
    Row - AV: 80%
    Total Tonnage: 7563kg
    Reps: 75

Tuesday- Low Volume, Low Intensity
    Squat - AV: 56%
    Press - AV: 74%
    Zercher-AV: 63%
    Total Tonnage: 3546kg
    Reps: 40

Friday- Low Volume, High Intensity
    Squat - AV: 90%
    Bench - AV: 95%
    Deadlift-AV: 83%
    Total Tonnage: 2070kg
    Reps: 12

Basically this is just showing me if I am doing the right amounts on the right days, and it looks like I am for this week anyway

The data showing the % of 1rm that I worked with will allow me to see if I am neglecting any particular percentage, or if I am going to heavy/light etc

The most important thing will be to compare from week to week, to make sure the total work done is where I want it to be

It probably looks complicated and as if I am trying to hard, but its actually pretty easy to use and I think it will be useful for my training because of the way its structured

Heres a link to the site
    http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/

Advertisement