Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tow Bar for unusual Mazda...

Options
  • 13-01-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello all,

We have a Mazda MPV ( 1997). It's an unusual yoke insofar as I've only seen a handful of them around the place over the few years we've had it, ( and all are white, like ours!). I wonder would any of ye know where in Ireland ( if at all, ) would I get a tow bar for it?

We have an old Honda Accord ( 2litre 1994) which might be easier to get a hitch for but we've been told it would be around 300euro. Does this sound reasonable to ye folks?

Ideally I'd prefer to get one for the bigger MPV if at all possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Love to hear from anybody who has another of the Mazda MPVs because I've been told getting parts for it will be a nightmare. She's never given us trouble at all so I can't complain, and we'd love to hang onto it as long as we can as it's great for trucking kids around the place....

Thanks for any help.....
    Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hey Michael,

PM me some contact details and I'll put you in touch with someone who can make one up for you, fully guaranteed and to a proper design/structural specification - not just knocked up out of box steel.

Cheers,

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We have a 02 MPV diesel and...........

Engine ......... no. 4 b/eng gone, and needs a DMF/clutch. 02, 88k miles. FSH (wow, that was worth it)

Make me an offer !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 28 varney

I'm sorry to hear you've had such bad luck with the MPV. I think the'02 is a substantially different car ( ours is '97 - exactly the same as this one:

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.millhousemotors.com/images/motorthumbs/mazdampvwhite973.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.millhousemotors.com/collection.html&usg=__nOv4E6b_pjhcWOJIVlByOcrRJAw=&h=105&w=140&sz=7&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=f572JNLRLHR2HM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmazda%2Bmpv%2B1997%2Bwhite%2Bdiesel%2Bautomatic%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

We got ours second hand three years ago with around 70k on the clock, which was apparently genuine. As I said, we've had virtually no trouble with it but our garage tells us parts will be a problem. Called local Mazda place who said some parts are interchangeable with the Mazda pickup ( I wonder...).

Did contact Jap Parts place couple of times about tow bar and one or two other bits, but they always say "We'll call you back..." and never do....How are you finding it getting parts?

Did you buy yours new? 88k sounds very little mileage so I'm astonished to hear the engine is 'gone', and the clutch needs replacing. Ours is diesel also but is automatic....

michael

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No, bought s/hand, with 85k on it. Which means I got 3k miles out of it, before it calved. 1 week after a service...... Clutch/DMF Eur 1400, engine repair anywhere between 1k-5k, depending on how you do it.

The Mazda 2.0 common rail diesel, 01-05 (iirc), is a complete ball of ****e. Impossible to buy used parts for, as they're all fubar'd, and new ones v.v. expensive. Same engine in the Mazda 6, too, so to be avoided at all costs.

I spent the repair money on a Porsche, instead. Bloody cheaper to run, for a start. And it'll last a lifetime.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement