Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Q6700?

• 13-01-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

I hear everyone goin on about the Q6600 and how easy it is to overclock, I'm looking at a comp from ankermann with a Q6700 and was wondering what it's like to overclock and just to see other peoples experiences...

Maybe also compare it to the Q6600? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Exactly the same as a Q6600 G0 stepping, except +1 on the multiplier (x10, Q6600 is x9).
    It depends on 3 major factors:

1) Your motherboard; what options it gives you in the BIOS, voltage ranges, overclockability generally.
    2) Your memory; most of the PC2-6400 should be ok for reaching the Q6700's limits on air.
    3) Cooling; assuming that 1) and 2) are ok, your limit will be the cpu's cooling. With the default Intel box cooler, you could expect 3-3.2GHz, but any 3rd party half-decent cooler would take you beyond that, provided that the cpu itself is good enough.

Other than the above rules, the general rule of overclocking apply: every piece of hardware is different and reacts/overclocks in a different way. You might get a dud that won't go past 3GHz, or you might get a weak power supply that cannot provide the juice that an overclocked quad core needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

oh.

Well i'm getting a pc from ankermann and they have their own psu built in to the pc. a 600watt no-name psu...

I was concerned about this beforehand, Would you recommend me getting a 650 corsair with it seperately? (i hear these are good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

You skipped part #1 too quickly! Are you sure the motherboard allows for overclocking? Which one does it come with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Asus P5QL pro is the mobo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That board will allow you to overclock a little. It may not be the uber overclocker that some of the other boards are, but it should be able to run at up to 3.2-3.4 (maby higher) with no problems. The Board is specified for a fsb of 400mhz but your overclock depends on alot of other things like Chosen says

• Advertisement
Advertisement