Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your team's Draft Prospects

• 13-01-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

i know its really early for this but i figured i may as well get this out there

who do you want to your team to draft....what positions do you think will benefit your team....as i said its very early but ive found a good few Mock Drafts up already and id like to think what you guys think about it

for the Jaguars there is a lot of options to who we could take...for us it all depends on if we get any guys during Free Agency...if we get an OT in FA then i say we take Taylor Mays at Safety and team him with Reggie Nelson and move Brian Williams from SS to Cb with Rashean Mathis to make one of the best secondaries in the league or take Rey Mauluga at LB and use him to replace Mike Peterson....if we dont get an OT in FA then take an OT like Michael Oher...also the possibility of taking Michael Crabtree or Jeremy Maclin at WR although we dont have a good history with WRs in the 1st round.

heres a couple of links to 1st and 2nd round mock drafts:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
    http://www.nfldraftsite.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Take Pettigrew, as we need a TE.Celek is only ok and LJ Smith isnt good at all.Take a guard or a OT with our other first round pick

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

As a Pats fan, I was someone on D so Maluga or Mays would be fine. I wish the Pats could draft a ProBowl RB like other teams succeed in doing but saying that, the Pats Offense doesn't need help, it's the D. With Harrison probably retiring and Bruschi perhaps so too - we need help at LB, Safety and of course Corner (though the two rookies we got at corner last year are developing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Maybe a silly Question, but why are all the mock drafts picking Matt Stafford ahead of the Heisman winner, Bradford? Surely the Heisman winner is a better option than the ... non-Heisman winner???

Colts need a RB. Yeah, we need a DT too. But we can trade for one of those, or pick one up at a later round. As we've seen this year, if you get the right RB from college, he can be successful right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

davyjose wrote: »
    Maybe a silly Question, but why are all the mock drafts picking Matt Stafford ahead of the Heisman winner, Bradford? Surely the Heisman winner is a better option than the ... non-Heisman winner???

firstly im not sure if Bradford has actually declared himself for the draft yet...

secondly i think its something to do with the way the Sooners offense was run...it was very much based on a strictly college football style as opposed to an offense run more like an NFL offense....so my guess is that Stafford led more of an NFL-style offense and may be more suited to the NFL than Bradford

• Advertisement

kev_s88 wrote: »
    firstly im not sure if Bradford has actually declared himself for the draft yet...
    He hasn't, but the mock drafts have included him, so they must be assuming he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

For the Cards:
    Running back is the obvious need so Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno in the first
    Linebackers in the second and fourth
    A guard in the third
    They likelihood is they'll trade Boldin so will get a first round for him (maybe trade with the Hawks) and could get somebody like Crabtree.

For the Lions:
    Likelihood is a pass rushing defensive end and a quarterback in the first with their picks (including trade from Dalls) and then two new linebackers, a cornerback and a safety.

At least they had five picks in first three rounds so I think they'll take (in order) QB (to sell tickets even though the fans are against it), DE, DB, LB, LB
    If they think they can find a left tackle at 20 (Oher, Black?) I'd take him and a defensive end in the first and move Foster inside to guard, Mutilato needs to be challenged.
    Lions should also probably trade out of the 1 spot but don't think anybody will be willing to move up. The cost is too high.

davyjose wrote: »

Stafford ran an offense that was closer to a pro-style offense than Bradford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raiders: It will be either Crabtree or OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Why isn't Greene from Iowa up there? Wells is a flop waiting to happen.

Mays is the best defensive player of the draft in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Raiders: Eugene Monroe or Crabtree.

Lirange wrote: »
    Why isn't Greene from Iowa up there? Wells is a flop waiting to happen.

If you don't go to one of the elite schools you very rarely turn up high on the draft boards early on. If he does well at the combine he'll shoot up the boards, look at where Chris Johnson was projected at going originally (late 2nd-3rd round) and then look where he ended up after the combine. His success this year says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

for the giants i think we need a reciever to replace plax and some linebackers.

there in a weird spot with the first rounder pick because they are too low to get someone like maualuga or curry at LB. But arent alot of first round recievers. Crabtree would be ideal but were not getting him and maclin or harvin dont really suit what the giants do. I hear alot of talk about them getting kenny britt out of rutgers. hes a local product and he has the size (6-4) and big play ability the giants need. but i believe hes more of a second round prospect. they'l probobly end up taking brian cushing the lb out of usc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We need a Strong Safety and a Corner, we need a Linebacker, we need two Offensive linemen. I'd be happy with that. Oh and our QB recovered and our no.1 running back as well.

Taylor Mays is staying on another year a USC.

Taylor Mays is staying on another year a USC.

very unfortunate for the NFL...hope it doesnt hurt his chances at getting a high draft position next season...cause he was definitely gonna go in the first round if he went in this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Chargers..

We are in dire need of a real good tackle. If we could find a Clady or Joe Thomas then go for it. McNeill can move to RT.

We also need a Strong Safety desperately. Also defensive tackle.

After that maybe a RB in the later rounds, maybe LT's heir. We drafted Michael Turner in round 5 FYI!!!.

kev_s88 wrote: »
    very unfortunate for the NFL...hope it doesnt hurt his chances at getting a high draft position next season...cause he was definitely gonna go in the first round if he went in this year

He'll fall as he could end up going against Eric Berry,(if he declares early) and won't be the top safety in the draft.He'll still go high but not as high as he would have gone this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

titan18 wrote: »
    He'll fall as he could end up going against Eric Berry,(if he declares early) and won't be the top safety in the draft.He'll still go high but not as high as he would have gone this year.

Which may not be a bad thing. I'm sure most draftees wouldn't mind losinga couple of dollars if it meant they'd be drafted by the Colts or Pats

Dodge wrote: »
    Which may not be a bad thing. I'm sure most draftees wouldn't mind losinga couple of dollars if it meant they'd be drafted by the Colts or Pats

I dont think players are hugely bothered. Majority of people want the money, if not you'd see alot more Eli situations, also with the potential to go from top 5 draft to bottom 5 in a year like the Saints or the Falcons it's not too bad. Also, a couple of dollars? Its a couple of million. Jared Mayo got $12 million guarenteed at the number 10 spot last year where as Duane Brown got $6m guarenteed at the number 26 spot. Also he could easily have a poor year or get injuried, it'sa big risk to take I think.

• Advertisement

Oh I realise that. But if you asked Mayo would he prefer $10 million and the Lions or $6 million and the Pats, who would he choose? This kid wasn't guarenteed to be taken first in his position anyway so maybe he feels he'll have another good campaign and "prove" himself even more.

If you're a first round pick you're unlikely to ever make up the dollar difference from falling in the draft.
    Kenny Phillips' contract for the New York Giants averages $1.4673 million pe year making it a five-year, $7.3365-million contract with incentives to bring it higher
    Jake Long signed a $57.5 million five-year deal with $30 million guaranteed for going number one.

Mayo would prefer the Lions money. No doubt. The average NFL career is too short to think otherwise.

Oh I realise that. But if you asked Mayo would he prefer $10 million and the Lions or $6 million and the Pats, who would he choose? This kid wasn't guarenteed to be taken first in his position anyway so maybe he feels he'll have another good campaign and "prove" himself even more.

What safety would of went ahead of him? He's potentially will now be coming out the same year as Berry who is considered one of the best prospects in long time. Mays was nailed on number 1 safety, and probaly atleast top 15. Also, you cnt just say "well is it the lions or the pats?" Who knows if the pats will even need a safety next year, or even the have a chance a taking him. Also the lions would never draft him.

You're kinda backing up my point. he wasn't guarenteed anything. There's a huge difference between top5 pick and the rest of the first round

All I'm saying is that he's obviously thought about it, and talked to his agents and coaches. if they feel its better for him to stay in college, who are we to argue?

You're kinda backing up my point. he wasn't guarenteed anything. There's a huge difference between top5 pick and the rest of the first round

All I'm saying is that he's obviously thought about it, and talked to his agents and coaches. if they feel its better for him to stay in college, who are we to argue?

I think he's guarenteed alot more in this years draft then he will be in next years one.

Well I'm sure Carroll wanted him to say. College players arent allowed have agents until they declare as far as I am aware because I can tell you no agent would tell him to stay in college.

Well I'm sure Carroll wanted him to say. College players arent allowed have agents until they declare as far as I am aware because I can tell you no agent would tell him to stay in college.

So they can't have them but you'd know what they'd say? All of them have advisors, hell even the NFL tells them were they're likely to go in the draft. I'll repeat, he hsn't done this on a whim so good luck to the lad.

So they can't have them but you'd know what they'd say? All of them have advisors, hell even the NFL tells them were they're likely to go in the draft. I'll repeat, he hsn't done this on a whim so good luck to the lad.

Of course, why the would an agent tell him to stay in college? :confused: Andre smith was suspended for getting in contact with a sports agent. What would an agent gain by telling someone to turn their back on a multi-million dollar contract to stay in school?

By all accounts Mays enjoys being a USC and he wants to play in an national championship and he'll also finish his degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Ok firstly we would never know if he spoke to an agent as having an agent before declaring is against the NCAA rules. Its naive to think though players dont have unofficial agents in the win come the end of their junior year. Once no money changes hands or contracts signed you are free to take the advice of anyone. I know college guys who have their advisors and these guys are low end D1 players. Alot of guys will take the advice of their coaches and friends and family first though any day.

Some players do like staying in college though as they feel justified by completing their senior year and seeing college all the way through. Will we ever know what type of guy Mays is? No some players really don't care about the difference in money and geniunely believe that working their ass off and making it on their own is money well earned. Mays could believe that maybe he would like to play for a bigger team and make a name for himself and get a shot at a Superbowl and making himself a household name. Maybe he believes that taking less money to be on a better team has its benefits. But who knows. He still has another season to make himself look better or worse the risk he runs staying in college.

Who knows whether Mays is making the wrong or right decision. Its his career.

Even though he's going to fall in next year's draft, it was still probably a good decision.He can finish out his degree and have a chance at the National Chamionship.In USC, players are treated like gods anyway so it wasnt a bad decision.

For his draft position, he could have been a top 10 this year.He could fall around 10-15 places next year if Berry comes out.

• Advertisement

Sam bradfords staying in college aswell.

Nobody wants to go to the Lions!

Allegedly Mark Sanchez is coming out. There holding a news confrence at six our time for him to make his anouncement

Hynzie wrote: »
    Allegedly Mark Sanchez is coming out. There holding a news confrence at six our time for him to make his anouncement

It would be the smartest thing for him to do now that Bradford is staying in college.He'll likely go as the 2nd qb now.

It would be the smartest thing for him to do now that Bradford is staying in college.He'll likely go as the 2nd qb now.

Anyone who wastes their 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick on him are fools. He is not a NFL quality QB. He underperformed all year long granted he had a nigling injury but how as a USC QB can you not perform with such a good o-line and offensive weapons.

Anyone who wastes their 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick on him are fools. He is not a NFL quality QB. He underperformed all year long granted he had a nigling injury but how as a USC QB can you not perform with such a good o-line and offensive weapons.

I think it'd be a bad pick aswell, but it's likely to happen nevertheless.

• Advertisement

I think it'd be a bad pick aswell, but it's likely to happen nevertheless.

Yeah its stupid when are they going to realise playing for USC doesnt make you a success Matt Leinart prime example. Chase Daniel and Graham Harrel are in the Draft and in my opinion tem times better than Sanchez.

I wonder what made Tebow decide to stay in college maybe he realises he wont do well and opted to get his degree just in case :D:D

Hynzie wrote: »

Its funny when I read this bit I asked myself why does he need a press conference to announce his sexual preference :D

Its funny when I read this bit I asked myself why does he need a press conference to announce his sexual preference :D

nice :D i didnt even think of it that way! maybe he'll come out in both ways. It could be an intresting press confrence!

its confirmed sanchez is entering the draft. nothing about his sexual prefrences though :D

I wonder what made Tebow decide to stay in college maybe he realises he wont do well and opted to get his degree just in case :D:D
    Tebow was always likely to stay another year. Everybody knows that, ffs he has been in the media spotlight all year.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tebow was always likely to stay another year. Everybody knows that, ffs he has been in the media spotlight all year.

Wow dude relax its called sarcasm. Have a drink on me and take it easy I know your love for Tebow is special :D:D:D

Wow dude relax its called sarcasm. Have a drink on me and take it easy I know your love for Tebow is special :D:D:D
    :pac:
    I'm not getting into it again anymore than this.

Over the years in different sports you see guys come along with that something extra. You don't always identify them immediately and sometimes you even go so far as to say they won't be all that special.

Now when MJ arrived in Basketball, before he came out of college, I said he had to be the no.1 pick because he had it. He proved me right and everybody that disagreed with me must feel like fools now. It was not just the way he played Basketball, it was that drive and determination and the way he was always pushing his team.
    I just think Tebow is another one of them guys. Thats why I think he will be huge in the NFL. You could have twenty guys who looke the same as him in college but its just that extra thing that he has, the determination, the never say die, I will not fail attitude.

Lets just leave it there and see how he gets on in his future.

eagle eye wrote: »
    :pac:
    I'm not getting into it again anymore than this.

Over the years in different sports you see guys come along with that something extra. You don't always identify them immediately and sometimes you even go so far as to say they won't be all that special.

Now when MJ arrived in Basketball, before he came out of college, I said he had to be the no.1 pick because he had it. He proved me right and everybody that disagreed with me must feel like fools now. It was not just the way he played Basketball, it was that drive and determination and the way he was always pushing his team.
    I just think Tebow is another one of them guys. Thats why I think he will be huge in the NFL. You could have twenty guys who looke the same as him in college but its just that extra thing that he has, the determination, the never say die, I will not fail attitude.

Lets just leave it there and see how he gets on in his future.

Again I was being sarcastic jebus dude chillax.:D:D

And I honestly dont care what he does in the NFL if he is sh1t he is sh1t if he is great he is great. Ask any coach they will tell yes he has the potential to be great but he is not a true pocket QB and his accuracy is only on par with average NFL QBs but hey who knows on how he will do in the NFL. If his presence, confidence and leadership skills are enough to get him by in the NFL fair play to him. For his sake lets hope he lives up to the hype.

Oh and anyone who told you MJ would fail needs to book themselves into an insane asylum it was pretty fooking obvious that guy was an instant legend from day 1. A blind ma could see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I would absolutely love if Pats got Rey Maualuga, but I know he's likely to end up at Raiders or Chargers.

Patriots could end up with James Laurianaitis though who would be no slouch

Advertisement