Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Aftershow Party 17/01/09

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Did the event organiser ever say that this was an official UFC Afterparty??

I was under no illusion that I'd be sitting chatting to Rick Franklin or Marc Coleman. I was happy enough to sit and have a few drinks with some friends within walking distance of the O2.

Fightlord and lots of MMA and martial arts clubs got free advertising, so did the photographer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

MaeveD wrote: »

I was under no illusion that I'd be sitting chatting to Rick Franklin or Marc Coleman. I was happy enough to sit and have a few drinks with some friends within walking distance of the O2.

Fightlord and lots of MMA and martial arts clubs got free advertising, so did the photographer.

Irregardless, the organisers went about advertising on boards in completely the wrong manner, which is the crux of the issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

celt2005 wrote: »
    Hes the mod of the forum, the OP was advertising a nightclub, with a gimmick that had nothing to do with UFC 93 apart from cashing in on it.

Roper, theres a difference between advertising clubs / seminars etc .. and nightclubs that charge 15 EUR (REDZ was cool while it lasted)

To be honest, I didnt even realise it was 15 quid in, that IS bull****.
    I might start having GAA afterpartys in my house, i live near croker. 30 lids at the door 20 with a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Dragan wrote: »
    Irregardless, the organisers went about advertising on boards in completely the wrong manner, which is the crux of the issue for me.

I completely disagree with dragan. This was an announcement, I wanted to hear about this and without hearing it by word of mouth boards.ie is the only way. That's the important part. Boards.ie users were getting a direct benefit from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Mendes and Santa Cruz were in Club 21 and Palhares and Bustamante came in right at the end (after 3 hours in hospital with Palhares hand) I gave them a lift back to the clarion and most of the fighters had stayed there, the lounge was still busy at 4. Was told Franklin, Kang and Barros were pissed off and just went to bed. Couldn't believe it when I saw the three ring girls getting stuck into a feast of burgers, chips, nacho's and pizza's!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

I completely disagree with dragan. This was an announcement, I wanted to hear about this and without hearing it by word of mouth boards.ie is the only way. That's the important part. Boards.ie users were getting a direct benefit from this.

No problem

Let them pay BOARDS.IE for advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

MaeveD wrote: »

What did you get for your 15 EUR ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

celt2005 wrote: »
    What did you get for your 15 EUR ??

In the door.

It doesn't matter, the night was run for a profit, this was advertising, with ONE post on the board.

The only thing up for discussion here is my stupidily not deleting the thread as a should have.

From now on, anything that looks like advertising will be shot down quicker than a Spitfire over Berlin.

I have tried to arrange a lenient attitude towards advertising over the SDMA and MMA boards, as we have so many posters here who run events and such and to be honest i am just tired of this type of thing.

If i let one go, i'm a bad guy.
    If i shut one down, i'm a bad guy.

I would suggest people get a bit more familiar with the rules of advertising on boards.ie and then accept the fact that we get away with murder in here and SDMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I dont think we'd know about alot of stuff without boards.I get notice of events solely tru boards so in some ways its not a bad thing but some ads may be seen as taking the piss as you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Also i think i would have gone to that 'UFC' afterparty assuming there would have been fighters there but thanks to boards and people questioning the event i realised none of the fighters would be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hiromatsu22

I don't see what the big deal is to be honest. We had our own section of a busy Dublin night club (and therefore guaranteed seats) near the venue, which meant that we were surrounded by other members of the Irish MMA community that would be interested in what we were going on about. There were no UFC fighters there but I was never under the illusion that there would be, just a photography display and advertising for clubs in Ireland.

I don't go to night clubs in town much, but is €15 atypical of admission prices to a normal club? If not, "storm in a teacup" springs to mind (or if you prefer "quit your jibber-jabber").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Mickk wrote: »
    Mendes and Santa Cruz were in Club 21 and Palhares and Bustamante came in right at the end (after 3 hours in hospital with Palhares hand) I gave them a lift back to the clarion and most of the fighters had stayed there, the lounge was still busy at 4. Was told Franklin, Kang and Barros were pissed off and just went to bed. Couldn't believe it when I saw the three ring girls getting stuck into a feast of burgers, chips, nacho's and pizza's!!!

We're you allowed into the bar or was it residents only?

Did you talk to any of the other fighters, e.g. Coleman, or Dana about what he thought of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DamoNIRL

Guys I travelled down from the north with 20 of my club mates. The o2 was amazin. One of the guys in the club found out this MMA after party. One of the organisers, a Dublin man, met me in Dundalk with the passes. He gave me some free for myself, and he gave me a poster for my club about the event. My understanding of the event was that it was held in a venue 10mins from the o2 where our club was guaranteed to get in and have a bit of a laugh. I was never told anything about fighters appearing on the night. I thought it was cheap compared to the club we went into on the Friday night which was a dive in the city. The Vaults was a cool place. I got to meet other fighter from around Ireland. Got some info from one of the organisers on martial arts supplies, which was cool, and I was handed a small amount of money back on the night for my club by one of the organisers, which was greatly appreciated.
    With regards promoting mma, I got my clubs logo displayed all over a venue in Dublin, on the events website. My club got their picture taking by a photographer, which the lads loved.
    The event wasnt the best night I've had out but it certainly wasnt the worst. We all had a laugh, and appreciated the closestness of the venue to the o2, as it was raining heavy that night.
    There were people who turned up some infront of my group on the way in who didnt even know what was on but had heard people talking about it, and where asking which fighters were inside, and in fairness they were told that no fighters where coming to the venue, and hence they left.
    All in all it was great to be in a place which the buzz on the UFC was still high and where you could talk about the fights with other fans. The photographs also where also a nice touch, and I recognised Tom Egans picture who was fighting on the same night.
    I think no matter what happened on the night, people would complain!
    Realistically there was no UFC Aftershow Party but did anyone claim there was???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AdamKeane

Have to say the negative comments above are typical of some Irish people, never happy with anything. Our Instructor got 100€ for selling 10 passes hence the people who organised the gig, only got 50€ from our club, which they probably spent on advertising our club on the night and on their website.
    We all have a cul time and enjoyed talking to the other clubs on the night, and getting our mugs on the Entertainment Ireland website.

Think the individuals above need to read what was been advertised!!! And remember it was only 15 poxy euro, which was cheap for a venue on a Saturday night in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

i totally agree. i came up from Limerick for the show and within walking distance was an MMA afterparty. i paid 15 eur which was cheap for a night out in dublin, no hassle at the door and there was a good vibe in the place to relax and talk with other fighters about the event.
    Ihave spent 15 eur a lot of worse ways

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

If it WAS an official UFC party you probably wouldn't have gotten near them anyway, at the ones in England they had their own VIP section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Roper wrote: »
    I have to say, having attended the event, I would agree and I retract my original statement.

Quoting myself eh?

Just to distance myself from the complaints about the night, my comments above are regarding the advertising on boards thing and not a reflection on the quality of the night. It was as advertised except for the fact that I was starving and had to go get some grub after about 20 mins there.

Right, this has run it's course. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There will be no more advertising on the MMA forum in any fashion.

It's clearly more hassle than it is worth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement