Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gatso van @ ucd road 23:30 12/01

Options
  • 13-01-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Just seen one of these new vans on the UCD road heading into Town.

Snow white in colour with Garda Siochanna & Speed Cameras stickers stuck to the van. It was placed on the side of the road, quite visible from a distance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

lordlame wrote: »

Snow white in colour with Garda Siochanna & Speed Cameras stickers stuck to the van. It was placed on the side of the road, quite visible from a distance.

Great to see them working their magic on a major accident blackspot, makes me proud to pay taxes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw them on the quays in Dublin outside Guinnesses last week at 11:50pm.
    Pity I didn't see them on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

here's a good one, driving down the ballymun road past the DCU enterance there's a white Gatso parked in the bus lane, about 600 METERS past it theres ANOTHER one parked again in the bus lane.

I though I was seeing things so I spun the car around and pulled in on the opposite side of the road (its a 4 lane road and is a 50 zone!)

Sure enough both vans lights were going off every minute of 2 catching cars, i'd say some of them were done twice

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hammertime wrote: »
    here's a good one, driving down the ballymun road past the DCU enterance there's a white Gatso parked in the bus lane, about 600 METERS past it theres ANOTHER one parked again in the bus lane.

I though I was seeing things so I spun the car around and pulled in on the opposite side of the road (its a 4 lane road and is a 50 zone!)

Sure enough both vans lights were going off every minute of 2 catching cars, i'd say some of them were done twice

That is a disgrace.....
    If only they used this equipment properly where it is actually needed.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Where exactly did you see the van on the UCD road? Could have sworn I saw a flash just at Donnybrook bus depot, doing bout 45-50 mph....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hammertime wrote: »

That must be a mistake. No way should it be allowed. If it was a setup then its out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

kbannon wrote: »
    I think they got me too at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

kbannon wrote: »

X3 for the same time!i did a lap to make sure it was actually them because i'd never seen a van out at night before

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ill have to keep an eye out for all these now at night. 8 points, so need to be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The gatso was parked at that location near Guinness on two nights last night. It was around 7 pm or so, and on both occasions I went past it somebody behind me got caught.

Looks like they the night time operation capability of the new vans is being well used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I saw the one outside Guinnesses Wednesday night last week. The following night one was on the Chapelizod bypass heading west.

Do they actually flash when they catch you like the fixed cameras do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It was like a friggin fireworks at the keys behind me so they do flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

samih wrote: »
    It was like a friggin fireworks at the keys behind me so they do flash.

Oh great, thanks for that!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lordlame wrote: »

was it parked at the esb substation before the start of the off ramp to UCD?
    Saw one there before christmas, no stickers on it at the time though. Seems to be a new favourite easy target spot for them as well as the one on the far side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

For 8 years I commuted the N2 between Dublin and Ashbourne, it was the second most dangerous stretch of road in the country. Amount of gatso vans I saw in that time? zero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Paparazzo wrote: »
    For 8 years I commuted the N2 between Dublin and Ashbourne, it was the second most dangerous stretch of road in the country. Amount of gatso vans I saw in that time? zero!
    IIRC the N2 is a McD's-free zone.

/runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

robbie99 wrote: »
    I saw the one outside Guinnesses Wednesday night last week. The following night one was on the Chapelizod bypass heading west.

Do they actually flash when they catch you like the fixed cameras do?

I didnt notice a flash while passing it,when i went back around for a second look you could clearly see the lads watching a large screen in the front of the van that appeared very clear,so i dont think there is a flash

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Right, the white gatso van has been parking on the left hand side of the N11, city bound, around 400meters past the turn off for RTE (NUTLEY LANE). Can this camera van take photo's at night? I know I went by it at a fair old pace about 22.30 last Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Any electronics boffins out there that could whip up a mobile EMP generator?
    Just need an old van thats got no electronics. Drive by and fry the bastards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

melbourne wrote: »
    Right, the white gatso van has been parking on the left hand side of the N11, city bound, around 400meters past the turn off for RTE (NUTLEY LANE). Can this camera van take photo's at night? I know I went by it at a fair old pace about 22.30 last Friday night.
    They can take pics at night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Any electronics boffins out there that could whip up a mobile EMP generator?
    Just need an old van thats got no electronics. Drive by and fry the bastards.

For doing there job? Very mature!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

1.30am on Bushy Park Road last week. 2 uniform guys standing at the side of the road with the speed gun. Bearing in mind this was a monday or tuesday night and the was zero traffic on the road, damn they mustve been bored.

Lads stand where its needed. Not on the stillorgan dual carraigeway or the rock road or somewhere simple like that. And the Garda wonder why the ordinary decent member of the public has lost respect for them!

For doing there job? Very mature!

Eh? I'm talking about knocking out their toy.. take a moment to understand a post before you comment.

Gatso cameras and vans are a pointless exercise which won't make Irish roads any safer and will generate resentment towards the Gardai.
    They also distract drivers needlessly and cause people to brake as a first reaction, often unnecessarily.

Having these associated with the Guards is a disgrace.

Eh? I'm talking about knocking out their toy.. take a moment to understand a post before you comment.

Gatso cameras and vans are a pointless exercise which won't make Irish roads any safer and will generate resentment towards the Gardai.
    They also distract drivers needlessly and cause people to brake as a first reaction, often unnecessarily.

Having these associated with the Guards is a disgrace.

Sounds like you've been caught!

If even one life is saved cos some idiot didn't plough his car into another car because he thought he saw a gatso van and slowed down then every cent is worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Had to log on just to post. They were there again tonight. Just across the road from Rathdown Motors. Well done lads, you must be fierce proud of yourselves, walking all that way from the station to nab a few people going a couple of kms over the speed limit!!

Before anyone give me the 'its the law' and 'they are only doing their job' ****e, dont bother. Walking 500 metres away from your station and waiting on people to drive past at this time on a tuesday night isnt really doing your job! I didnt see any speed checks on that road over Xmas. Seriously is that the best you can do? Is there no where else that might warrant attention on the roads? Whatever shread of respect I have for the uniform and what it stands for, Im losing it very quickly.

If even one life is saved cos some idiot didn't plough his car into another car because he thought he saw a gatso van and slowed down then every cent is worth it.

I've not been caught, but I have no desire to linger in the blindspot of an articulated lorry which I may be overtaking. I can see many situations where these devices will catch people out unfairly.

As for your other statement.. it sounds like you are agreeing with me that these devices are a distraction to drivers and can cause them to panic brake.. but I expect thats not what you meant.

For your statement to have the meaning you intended, every driver in the country would have to drive below the speed limit because they are in constant fear of gatso vans.. and thats just not going to happen.

If you don't speed then you've nothing to worry about. These machines have a tolerance so if your going to do 51 in a 50 you'll be ok.

Also when your overtaking it doesn't give you automatic right to break the speed limit.

Trying to blame the gardai because you break the law is very Irish.
    I've not been caught, but I have no desire to linger in the blindspot of an articulated lorry which I may be overtaking. I can see many situations where these devices will catch people out unfairly.

As for your other statement.. it sounds like you are agreeing with me that these devices are a distraction to drivers and can cause them to panic brake.. but I expect thats not what you meant.

For your statement to have the meaning you intended, every driver in the country would have to drive below the speed limit because they are in constant fear of gatso vans.. and thats just not going to happen.

If you don't speed then you've nothing to worry about. These machines have a tolerance so if your going to do 51 in a 50 you'll be ok.

Also when your overtaking it doesn't give you automatic right to break the speed limit.

Trying to blame the gardai because you break the law is very Irish.

Christ! if you're such a goody two shoes then explain your post on this thread about gatso vans, I've quoted your comment below.
    I'm feckin paranoid these days, the second i see a transit stationary on the road ahead, i slam on the brakes.
    me too!

So..
    1. Explain how that is safe! And how you believe these vans are a good thing!
    2. Why would you of all people be braking since you don't speed..
    Answer a. I wasn't speeding I just felt some unnecessary hard braking would brighten up the day of the motorist behind me
    Answer b. I was speeding and not only did I decide that some hard braking would brighten up the day of the motorist behind me, but I felt that I should come to a dramatic halt lest I incur some loathsome penalty points in which case I may feel aggrieved at Garda man... and trying to blame the gardai because I break the law is so very Irish..

Not to mention the fact that you fit the description of the "Idiot" you previously referred to..

Oops... I did mention that.. even though I said "Not to mention".
    Sorry, really I am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What absolute nonsense. Emotive hollow rhetoric. By using that logic the Gardai would be able to take any course of action because it might rate lives. Further down the same line of thought is the line of internment without trial we saw in Northern Ireland. The security forces believed it would save lives and the civil rights of those impacted took a back seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

What absolute nonsense. Emotive hollow rhetoric. By using that logic the Gardai would be able to take any course of action because it might rate lives. Further down the same line of thought is the line of internment without trial we saw in Northern Ireland. The security forces believed it would save lives and the civil rights of those impacted took a back seat.

I think this analogy falls down on the fact that those interned without trial didn't have any evidance of law breaking presented against them.

Advertisement