Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gatso van @ ucd road 23:30 12/01

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

John_C wrote: »
    I think this analogy falls down on the fact that those interned without trial didn't have any evidance of law breaking presented against them.

But it's that same school of thought that it doesn't matter if something is wrong, it's all about saving lives, or one life, at any cost.

We could save countless lives by imposing all forms of pointless or unfair laws. The total banning of cars from the city centres would prevent a few people being knocked down. Reduction of drink drive limit to absolute zero. Compulsory fitting of speed limiters. Is it the right thing to do though? Even if someone plots a chart which links it to the saving of one life.

It is very easy to make such a statement about the status quo being correct if it saves lives because the person arguing with you sounds like they don't want to save lives but you can be sure that putting 2 speed cameras a minute apart on a wide road does not save lives except for in the most unlikely of circumstances.

I'd say there is not a solitary person posting or reading who does not agree with this current policy who does not have a genuine desire to see a reduction in deaths on the roads yet our friend Craig puts himself on the side of lifesaving and everyone else on the side of reckless life endangernent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I saw two gardai down brewrey road the other day. Think it was Satursay night. It was around 7pm. They were standing there in the pitch black with their device on a tripod. They dont have nighttime cameras on tripods now do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

But it's that same school of thought that it doesn't matter if something is wrong, it's all about saving lives, or one life, at any cost.

We could save countless lives by imposing all forms of pointless or unfair laws. The total banning of cars from the city centres would prevent a few people being knocked down. Reduction of drink drive limit to absolute zero. Compulsory fitting of speed limiters. Is it the right thing to do though? Even if someone plots a chart which links it to the saving of one life.

It is very easy to make such a statement about the status quo being correct if it saves lives because the person arguing with you sounds like they don't want to save lives but you can be sure that putting 2 speed cameras a minute apart on a wide road does not save lives except for in the most unlikely of circumstances.

I'd say there is not a solitary person posting or reading who does not agree with this current policy who does not have a genuine desire to see a reduction in deaths on the roads yet our friend Craig puts himself on the side of lifesaving and everyone else on the side of reckless life endangernent.

Sorry mate thats BS.
    You're pretty much admitting you don't care bout life as long as you can break the law and not get caught. Either that or you've a low opinion of human life.

How many times do you need be told? Even if there 10 speed cameras on the road, if your driving legally then you've nothing to be worried about.

You'll also find a large amount of people agree with the zero drink drive limit. And statistics prove that its rural and suburban areas you're more like to have a pedestrian knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Spotted again on the dual carriage way beside the Halfway House heading in the direction of town. Just after the new fly over (about 400 metres past the esso station) @ 23:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

I feel that people hardly care about traffic laws and road safety. I have lost my mother and mother-in-law in car accident here in Ireland (Nov'2007). By the grace of god myself with my little baby, wife survived this accident. Unless and until people suffer then they realize how important road safety and traffic laws are. It is very unfortunate to see people making silly comments here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Sorry mate thats BS.
    You're pretty much admitting you don't care bout life as long as you can break the law and not get caught. Either that or you've a low opinion of human life.

How many times do you need be told? Even if there 10 speed cameras on the road, if your driving legally then you've nothing to be worried about.

You'll also find a large amount of people agree with the zero drink drive limit. And statistics prove that its rural and suburban areas you're more like to have a pedestrian knocked down.

Exactly the sort of attitude I highlighted above. I must have a low opinion of life as I do not agree with the current Gardai method of catching speeders.

What annoys me most is that by having a traffic camera,or two, stationary on a very safe stretch of road, it is taking up resources which could be out on the road network targeting behaviours which include speeding amongst others. Trained Gardai are not able to use their discretion when it is as black and white as a number on a computer. A person with no tax, nct or insurance can drive past as drunk as a skunk just as long as they do so beneath 50km\h.

I have no desire to break the law, agree with the need for speed enforcement and think that the current system is around making up figures. This pursuit of figures has obviously failed alot of the people who have died on the road in recent years. When the media and politicians ask for reasons why so many people have died, they are given stats pointing out how many middle aged men in Mondeos they have caught doing 10% over the limit.

Does that make me a cold-hearted bastard who doesn't value human life?

If it does then I make no apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    I feel that people hardly care about traffic laws and road safety. I have lost my mother and mother-in-law in car accident here in Ireland (Nov'2007). By the grace of god myself with my little baby, wife survived this accident. Unless and until people suffer then they realize how important road safety and traffic laws are. It is very unfortunate to see people making silly comments here.

I care very much about road safety, but having machines police the roads instead of people is not the answer. I feel more at risk from Drunk or Dangerous drivers, and none of these machines will tackle undertaking, swerving between lanes, reversing on dual carriagways & roundabouts, failing to yield at junctions, talking on the phone at roundabouts, and driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway.. I have seen every single one of these, some multiple times and these gatso machines will not prevent any of this.. I'm not advocating the removal of speed Limits, I would gladly have a Gatso on every main street in Ireland because that is one area where speed is the single most dangerous factor which could kill a pedestrian, we have all seen the advert about a child hit at 40mph dying while a child at 30mph survives.

These machines are a replacement for Police and about as effective as the old sleeping policeman..
    People fail to see that you can be for speed restriction but against gatso's and against guards parked on sliproads where the road limit changes from 120 to 100kph while the road stays a modern dual carriageway (N8 at Rathcormac/Watergrasshill between Fermoy and Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

got caught by one of these yokes on the Dock road in limerick - was just a plain white van, no garda stickers, nothing.

had'nt a clue i was caught 'till I got the notice in the post on Christmas Eve..best Christmas present ever! :rolleyes:

Of course it was parked off a wide dual laned recently-resurfaced road at 8pm in the evening. Oh well...paid the fine and took the points.

Mind you, everytime I see a white van at the side of the road I brake...I should appeal it on the fact that I'm now extremely paranoid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

These machines are a replacement for Police and about as effective as the old sleeping policeman..
    People fail to see that you can be for speed restriction but against gatso's and against guards parked on sliproads where the road limit changes from 120 to 100kph while the road stays a modern dual carriageway (N8 at Rathcormac/Watergrasshill between Fermoy and Cork)

I dont think these machines are complete replacement for policemen. Being from a non-european country I feel road safety and traffic rules are pretty well implemented here in Ireland compared to most of the non-european countries (Specially South Asian Countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

melbourne wrote: »
    Right, the white gatso van has been parking on the left hand side of the N11, city bound, around 400meters past the turn off for RTE (NUTLEY LANE). Can this camera van take photo's at night? I know I went by it at a fair old pace about 22.30 last Friday night.

I was driving past here on saturday night and saw a flash. I didnt see the van close up i immediately looked at my speedo and it said i was doing 65, and i was fairly close to it, maybe about 20 meters so hopefully im ok! But i did see a flash and they wouldn't be there if they couldn't catch people at night. Though someone in another thread said they use IR so you wouldn't see a flash, whether this is true or not i dont know

• Advertisement
Advertisement