Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenDNS issues with Google Images

Options
  • 13-01-2009 1:44am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So here's my problem - I recently started having issues with Google Image searches (and a handful of images on other sites); they were taking forever and would more often than not give me nothing in return but empty image boxes.

However the problem goes when I remove the OpenDNS settings and set the DNS settings on my network connection (on the PC) to automatic. I'd keep it at that but it stops me from having a static IP set up, which I use for port forwarding.

I recently got a wireless Belkin modem (having had a Netgear Wireless router attached to a Zyxel modem) and can't remember having this problem before, so I can only assume there's some connection.

So here's what I've tried - I've set the DNS on the modem itself to the OpenDNS numbers, while keeping them on my PC too (as I thought there might be some kind of clash if one was going automatic and the other wasn't). I've had the modem going automatic and the PC using OpenDNS and the problem persists. When I have the modem using OpenDNS settings and the computer going automatic it works fine. When I have both set to automatic it works fine.

My BB connection is BT and the settings I have on the new modem are:
    Connection Type: PPPoE
    VPI/VCI: 8/35
    Encapsulation: LLC

Any ideas what I might be missing or doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

If you specify a DNS on your PC and on your router, AFAIK your PC settings will have the priority. So your symptoms point to OpenDNS itself.
    It's known that OpenDNS intercepts google queries.

What you could do to find out: change your OpenDNS DNS settings to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 in a configuration that goes wrong and see if that works (this is a DNS server by a reputable company called 4.2.2.1)

If 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 works, the problem is with OpenDNS. If you still insist on OpenDNS, make sure you make a (free) account and switch Google filtering off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that reputable company is actually called level3 and those dns server ip addresses actually go all the way from 4.2.2.1 up to 4.2.2.6 afaik. ;)

they also don't keep a log of dns requests or redirect incorrectly typed addresses to sponsored links like opendns do. :)

have you thought about static dhcp as an alternative that may solve your problems indirectly?

what router do you use? maybe it supports static dhcp, or has a 3rd party firmware that does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Excuse my ignorance but is there a specific option to remove Google filtering, or do I just tell it not to filter google.com/.ie??

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

When you have created your account with OpenDNS, add your network.

Then for that network, go to Advanced Settings and disable OpenDNS proxy.
    That will do it.

PS This is hard to find for most users, another reason to distrust OpenDNS and it's the default setting (routing google through OpenDNS)

Advertisement